Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

True Beginner

I am 29 yrs old and prior Army of 4 yrs. Before switching majors to reflect my job field which is Information Technology, I was an execise science major and interned at a collegiate training center and private training center for athletes for 3 semesters to gain more insight in the Strength & conditioning field. I dont actively play sports anymore and I am not in training for a specific event. I do train as an athlete because I love the way athletes train and I am interested in learning about how gymnasts train. I do not have rings or any other equipment of that sort since I train in the gym on base. I have been practicing wall handstands and wall handstand pushups along with the frog stand. Could you provide direction to what else I can do to increase my strength to further my progression into more complex movements? Also, I am sure there are other posts that most likley provide this information so if you can direct me to these specific posts, that would be beneficial as well. I am familiar with the website beast skills as well crossfit which brought me to your site.

start working L sits on parallettes and L hangs hanging from a bar. Add in leg lifts on a high bar till you can pull yourself upside down in a ball position. When you can do that, you're ready to start working tuck levers either forwards or backwards.

another is something called the pistol. beastskills has a good tutorial on them. before a pistol, get a deck squat. floor glute ham is tough but a good exercise to pair it with.

dips are good but obviously you need to have good pushups before you can do good dips

headstands or bridges are good easy moves to learn

ya need to learn how to hold a hollow and arch body ( superman ) hold

a body lever that is vertical is good to train. basically this is a hollow body hold with more load involved.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=902&highlight=

matthew.percussion

Just a thought, I have a couple of buddies in the military. All of them do cross fit on base, they don't have any cross fit coaches though. Just recently one of them requisitioned some rings for their cross fit training. They just got them a couple of days ago. It wouldn't be too far fetched for you to do the same. You just have to get a few more people interested in it.

Good luck with your training.