Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about static holds

Hivoyer

Do straight arm exercises have some carryover to bent arm strength.For instance-the planche works the biceps in an 180 degree angle,but i noticed that after doing the tuck planche for 2 weeks i had an improvement in pullups which are dynamic and i though static holds only trained the muscles at the specific joint angle that is held during the exercise.

They have alot of carryover just read Coach Sommer's Planche/Front lever article over at dragondoors.

How strong is it possible to become with bodyweight exercises? Amazingly strong. In fact I would go so far as to say, done correctly, far stronger than someone who had trained for the same amount of time with free weights. Want some concrete examples? One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 5’3â€.

2A-JJonrings.jpg

After this I was curious and wanted to measure JJ’s one rep max on weighted pull-ups. We started fairly light with 10 lbs. or so. I continued adding more weight while JJ performed single rep after single rep. Unfortunately I didn’t know about chinning belts and chains at that time and the cheap leather belt we were using broke at 75 lbs. Once again, I repeat, at 75 lbs. and JJ had never performed a weighted pull-up in his life. But he had performed years of my specialized bodyweight conditioning exercises. How much could JJ have chinned that day? We will never know for sure, but I will tell you that at 75 lbs. JJ was laughing and joking with me and did not appear to be noticeably bothered by the weight.

Ivan

• 11 months later...
Do straight arm exercises have some carryover to bent arm strength.For instance-the planche works the biceps in an 180 degree angle,but i noticed that after doing the tuck planche for 2 weeks i had an improvement in pullups which are dynamic and i though static holds only trained the muscles at the specific joint angle that is held during the exercise.

There is a 15 degree transfer in both directions. However, when you work at the most mechanically disadvantaged position, I believe it has carryover for the entire range of motion.