Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leg flexibility (specifically in Hamstrings)

Dancer1201

First and foremost, I'm not a gymnast.
I'm a novice dancer, dancing in a traditional style similar to Ballet.
I've read that this problem happens to gymnasts however, and is frustrating to deal with for everyone involved.
So I ask for the easiest solution to my situation.

I have terrible "knobby knees." My legs don't straighten regardless of how hard I push, and in turn it makes my dance performance suffer. 
I've read that this is a lack of a flexibility in the hamstrings.
Naturally, I'm incredibly inflexible.
What is the easiest (or even just the most efficient) way to stretch in a manner that allows my knees to straighten when in a locked position?

Also, what are the best stretches recommended for simple leg and back flexibility in general?
I'm willing to put time in, I just need some advice!

I feel as though gymnasts understand and have expertise in known their own body, and find that the information of someone outside of dance might be extremely useful !

Thanks in advance!

Samuli Jyrkinen

Foundation One has impressive amount of knee mobility work and hamstring/lowerback mobility is also covered. You won't be disappointed. Also strength work is the base for almost anything you do with no setbacks and as a dancer you would benefit greatly from GST training.

If you want to stretch your hamstrings there are numerous of stretches you can think of, weighted pike stretch example.

Adam Bodestyne

For stretching/flexibility in general, check out Kit Laughlin.  His website - http://kitlaughlin.com , and his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KitLaughlin

Also, specifically for your question about hamstrings, check out some of the replies in this thread: http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8661-stubborn-hamstrings/

Joshua Naterman

Make sure you stretch your hip flexors as often as you stretch your hamstrings, and don't forget your adductors or abductors!

Unbalanced tension, particularly between hip flexors and hamstrings, will lead to potential problems with making great gains in flexibility AND will predispose you to injuries.

Kit's material is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
Keilani Gutierrez

Make sure you stretch your hip flexors as often as you stretch your hamstrings, and don't forget your adductors or abductors!

Unbalanced tension, particularly between hip flexors and hamstrings, will lead to potential problems with making great gains in flexibility AND will predispose you to injuries.

Kit's material is excellent.

so a good RX for this could be, warrior stance hip flexor stretch the way Kit does(hip flexor), butterfly stretch getting the knees to touch the ground(for inside of thighs) internal rotations(for outside of thigh) and the vast array of available hamstring stretches for the back of the thigh?