Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active split - Coach Sommer

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

Coach, I wonder if you could share your views about effective exercises for active flexibilty in both leg split position. (Like in handstand and legs in split, straddle l-sit, etc)

It is a very problematic area and I seldom see large improvements in these positions, unlike the passive splits, which improve rather rapidly.

Well, I'm not Coach Sommer, but I've found doing active flexibility holds at with maximal contraction is extremely helpful for developing pikes and straddle-Ls although I haven't tried anything like splits in handstand.

For example, one drill I use for pike compression is put the hands at the knees and lean forward putting most of your weight on your hands with straight arms. Then contract the abs and bring the knees to the face focusing on squeezing the abs and hip flexors as hard as you can.

This can also be applied to straddle work as well.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to try your pike exercise. What exercises do you recommend for active straddle flexibility?

Hands between the crotch, straddle at 90 degrees. Do the same thing. Try to make you are leaning your chest over past your crotch.

I also have them do the same exercises with the fingers pointed back right behind the seat while seated. Lifting the legs to this position or holding the legs as high as possible.

For beginners you can try putting one hand on the sides of both leg and doing it one leg at a time.