Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

dips -> palm heel pain

gekitsu

hello folks,

i set up my new rings on christmas eve and am trying to get acquainted with them - migrate my exercises from pullup bar to the rings, get used to the balancing issues etcetera...

so far, its all working quite well, except one thing: when doing ring dips, i notice pain in my left palm heel immediately after letting go of the rings - as if one of the small bones was offset by the pressure a bit. i dont have this on my right hand and i dont notice it when i close my hands firmly, i.e. during any kind of exercise.

also, it goes away after a few minutes, so i dont think its any serious injury or aomething anatomical that needs treatment, but could be a failure/imbalance in grip technique, how i put my hands on the rings etc.

dips produce this much more than simple (but still kinda wobbly) support holds, so it migzht have something to do with wrong hand placement plus wrist ROM. at least, thats my reasoning so far.

any input what could be off?

pain in the palm heel is common with those unfamiliar with doing work on pommel, parallel bars or rings. it's just the pressure on a localized area. from my experience, most beginners generally are more uncomfortable on pommels or parallel bars at first because they simply cannot support themselves for any duration on rings. be proud!

yay! :D

thanks - i just wanted to make sure its not likely something a real life coach would spot immediately and correct me. bad habits are a pain to unlearn...

also, i played a what-if game by simulating a muscle up, just to look what kind of wrist/hand position id end up in for the dip part. all the time, i had the ring run through my palm at a steep diagonal angle, entering under the index finger knuckle, exiting between palm heel and base of thumb. with the mock-transition from false grip pull, i had the ring exit my palm area on the edge of my hand, slightly above the palm heel and held the wrist at an angle a little more tilted outwards so that less force was pressing into my exposed palm heel but spread more between hand edge and index knuckle. suddenly, no hurting anymore...

I wish I was in the same boat. Gripping too hard with my pinky generally leaves me cursing. It is displeasant to do MU right now or swing on HB or SR. Dead hangs are ok, somewhat as well as hanging so long as volume is restricted.