Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gear For The F1 Course? Other Pre-Purchase Questions

Darius Sohei

i'd like to be able to do it in my apartment with little to no gear (i have a set of pvc parelettes) IS THIS POSSIBLE? is there a way to preview a 1 day workout for the 3x/week program?

thanks

Being a complete beginner in GST, I have zero gear for the Foundation Course (with the exception of the Xtreme Rings, which I got with BtGB).  I cannot give a sample of any of the training, but I can say that if you are creative, even in an apartment you can do everything.  And $50 worth of supplies at Home Depot can get you further.  

I remember living in an apartment many years ago as a student and being very poor, I would find scrap wood from local construction sites that was being thrown away and I constructed my own freestanding indoor rock climbing wall.  So anything is possible.

• Upvote 2

At minimum you need;

-Pullup bar and a belt or rope you can loop over it to the ground.

-A bench you can lay on with feet hanging down at 90 degrees and won't tip.

-A small weight you can hold overhead with locked arm (I use a 12kg kettlebell)

-Something you can anchor your feet or legs under (or someone to hold you down).

-Some carpet, matts or grass for some of the exercises. Just trust me on this one.

Bar, bench, 'bell will get you access to all the exercises but might not be 100% ideal. The last one will save your tailbone.

In a perfect situation you would also have;

-Access to stall bars or a fixed ladder

-Rings hanging on that pullup bar

-A couple of different light weights, possibly a barbell (12kg kb has been the heaviest I've used, but I'm also using 12lb dumbbells for some stretches)

• Upvote 2

Being a complete beginner in GST, I have zero gear for the Foundation Course (with the exception of the Xtreme Rings, which I got with BtGB).  I cannot give a sample of any of the training, but I can say that if you are creative, even in an apartment you can do everything.  And $50 worth of supplies at Home Depot can get you further.  

I remember living in an apartment many years ago as a student and being very poor, I would find scrap wood from local construction sites that was being thrown away and I constructed my own freestanding indoor rock climbing wall.  So anything is possible.

At minimum you need;

-Pullup bar and a belt or rope you can loop over it to the ground.

-A bench you can lay on with feet hanging down at 90 degrees and won't tip.

-A small weight you can hold overhead with locked arm (I use a 12kg kettlebell)

-Something you can anchor your feet or legs under (or someone to hold you down).

-Some carpet, matts or grass for some of the exercises. Just trust me on this one.

Bar, bench, 'bell will get you access to all the exercises but might not be 100% ideal. The last one will save your tailbone.

In a perfect situation you would also have;

-Access to stall bars or a fixed ladder

-Rings hanging on that pullup bar

-A couple of different light weights, possibly a barbell (12kg kb has been the heaviest I've used, but I'm also using 12lb dumbbells for some stretches)

How is it that these 2 answers are so wildly different? first person says i need no gear for the F1 course, 2nd guy lists a bunch of gear that makes F1 impossible to acheive without a gym of one's own. Moderators shed some light please?

Daniel Shields

I'm not sure how a bar, bench, and weight constitute something "impossible to achieve without a gym of one's own". I think Xcel is thinking along the lines that you could potentially find a tree branch or beam that could substitute for a bar, a picnic table or piece of furniture to substitute for the bench, and book or brick to substitute for the weight.

• Upvote 1

How is it that these 2 answers are so wildly different? first person says i need no gear for the F1 course, 2nd guy lists a bunch of gear that makes F1 impossible to acheive without a gym of one's own. Moderators shed some light please?

Thought a complete answer would be in your interests. I'll boil it down again.

Yes, you can do a lot (most) with just some floor space.

You aren't going to be able to lift yourself or any isolated parts of you, such as torso or legs, without a bar or a bench.

You aren't going to be able to weight your mobility elements without a weight to hold.

EDIT--

I certainly don't have a gym of my own. I'm following it to the letter with a doorway bar, couple of weights, a rope hung over the bar (with rings in the wings once the snow clears up and I can play outside again), some chairs, and some floor space.

WoDs have long since made me an expert in improvisation...

That's in an apartment btw.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Don't worry about the equipment, what you really need is minimal and you'll figure out a good way to perform the exercises.

Everything from a can of soup to a dictionnary can be used as a weight for the mobility; a tree branch and picnic table in the park will solve the rest of it.

First priority is to get going, then trust your ingenuity to fill the gaps. :)

At some point you'll need rings, but you know that already!

• Upvote 4

I like the two answers above.

There can be a High End solution to the equipment needed - this will require more money up front. Go online and buy the equipment.

and a Low End solution - this may still require a trip to the lumber yard, but for the most part involves found items.

I suspect most will start with what they have, begin Low End and over time pick up or build their own personalised GB gym.

The other thing needed is a space to use it all. Even here with some ingenuity you can really maximise a small space. My home workout space is 2.5mx3.5m and full of gear, but well organised so the space is very usable.

One thing that is difficult to get away from in bodyweight work is the need for a little ingenuity.

Wish that was possible to everyone. It's -5°C (23°F) here, and that is actually very warm this time of the year. Not only is it cold, the ground is also covered by a thick layer of snow.

For those of us relying on the comfort of our own homes, a doorknob, a bar, a pole or something else thats solid does the trick very well.

It's -16C here today... >.< I was ok doing ring series in the snow up till -10...

I sort of miss my forever-summer-West Oz setup.