Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Targeting My Weakness Increase Overall Performance?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

I read an article about this that if you target your weakness then your overall strength and athletic ability increases due to the fact that the body becomes more balanced.

Is this true in gymnastics?

I have found out that my legs and grip strength are weak because I hated squats and I couldn't squat much.

The 2nd thing is my grip strength - I usually end up failing my German hang because of the lack of my grip strength not shoulder.

Fill strengthening the listed above make my performance stronger?

And how to strengthen the grip strength and legs ( for gymnastics) 

Was thinking about front squats and dead hangs - but im curious about the sets and reps and how many times a week ?

Thank you !

Very true.

You can strengthen the legs with one leg squats, the shrimps, various jumps, natural GHRs. Olympic lifts and squats, deadlifts, too.

For the grip, I'm currently doing my planche work on fingertips. Hollow body thick towel hangs. Will probably start doing some towel pullups / front lever work.

Rope climbs are awesome for that if you have the equipment. Basically just keep doing the german hangs, the grip will strengthen.

Ye this is definitely true however it's something you have to constantly monitor and adjust for. If you were to train your weakness and improve your grip say then you'd be able train your german hang for longer and consequently it would improve, however after a point your grip would no longer be your weak point and you'd have to identify your next weakness and improve on that. 
This for most people is very hard and is why you pay good money for a coach or personal trainer to help identify and adjust your training protocols for you, I'd recommend that you buy F1 if you're serious about bodyweight training as it takes pretty much all of the guesswork out of this process and gives you a clear way to progress from the ground up and develop a well rounded physique. I've only used it for a week so far but it's identified many parts that I thought I'd adjusted for but clearly hadn't. 

Towel pullups are the best way I've found to strengthen my grip, monkey bars are pretty fun also and don't feel like training, oh or do some bouldering, great all round exercise if incredibly demanding. 
For squats hill sprints are good, as are weighted squats for building strength, just make sure you don't neglect your flexibility with these!

Surely this is the only way anyone improves at anything. It's so tempting and easy to just keep doing what you can kind of already do, over and over again, and thereby never get much better. Psychologically, it can be tough to examine your situation and identify what is actually holding you back, and target that.

Then you take another step upwards, and encounter a new weak link.