Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Structural Balance In Gst

Tyler Gibson

In basically any area of strength training (olympic lifting, powerlifting etc) you hear people talking about structural balance, especially around the shoulder girdle. Lots of coaches will propose ratios of pushing to pulling that you should have in your program, and some coaches will also propose ratios between bench press and weighted chins, for example, that you should meet in order to have structural balance around the shoulder girdle. 

Is there anything equivalent in GST? Is there any sort of ratio or measure that demonstrates good structural balance between pushing/pulling or around the shoulder girdle in general?

Yeah that's kind of what I thought. I'm not super concerned about my own structural balance, I was just curious if gymnastics coaches had a methodology for addressing structural balance.

Parth Rajguru

Some coaches are using structural balance work in Gymnastic Strength Training™. They are the ones whose students show faster, better progress and higher success rates. There are no publicly published figures as far as I know that specifically mention Gymnastic Strength Training™. I believe that using structural balance approach is absolutely essential if you want to keep pushing forward with this type of training.

I agree. I don't think you necessarily need a specific number or ratio, but I do think that if you have an obvious discrepancy between pushing/pulling, or should flexion/extension, then that is a weakness that needs to be addressed.

More than once I have had the experience where when I work on a weakness of mine, everything else improves as a result.

Joshua Naterman

Foundation one, and the future levels, all have this built in.

More than just strength balance, they also have mobility balance as a part of the program. If people follow things to the letter, and do all of your training as prescribed, I don't think anyone will need to worry about the structural balance.

Of course, there will be people who focus on one or two moves, and they may have issues, but the program is designed to be done as a whole, not picked apart for whatever someone thinks looks cool. You follow this program the way it is designed, with all elements on the appropriate training days, and I don't think there will be any problems.

I actually think this is going to make the number of questions we have really decline, because everything is so self-explanatory.

I figured that structural balance would basically be built into Foundation One. I won't be able to buy it until I get my next pay check in a few weeks but I'm looking forward to it. 

Just thought I'd throw this question out anyway to see what people's thoughts were about it.

• Upvote 1