Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Wait Is Nearly Over

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum

Has there been any commentary on how to integrate this training into a schedule that already includes some ring work/WODs?  I've been at these for quite a while now, and although I certainly have things to accomplish within the Foundation 1 Series, but the look of things the volume/difficulty is much less than what I've gotten accustomed to with WOD/static practice.

Is there a suggested path for those of us who have built up a decent work volume with the more advanced training while accomplishing the Foundation goals?  Should I simply drop this other training in favor of exclusively working the Foundation 1 stuff?  I feel like I'm being lazy but if that's the path to greatest success I'm willing to tough it out.

Coach Sommer's advice has consistently been to take the time to go through all the foundation exercises and check that you have actually mastered them. The implication being that it isn't recommended to simultaneously be training more advanced elements if you have holes in your foundation. 

That's the official stance. If you want to integrate additional work into your training schedule, no one is stopping you. You might deign to perform maintenance sets on your more advanced work while you shore up your foundation. Or try doing a two-stage workout, where you begin with the foundation work before moving on to your more difficult strength. 

• Upvote 1

Sven Ravnstag

Coach Sommer's advice has consistently been to take the time to go through all the foundation exercises and check that you have actually mastered them. The implication being that it isn't recommended to simultaneously be training more advanced elements if you have holes in your foundation. 

That's the official stance. If you want to integrate additional work into your training schedule, no one is stopping you. You might deign to perform maintenance sets on your more advanced work while you shore up your foundation. Or try doing a two-stage workout, where you begin with the foundation work before moving on to your more difficult strength. 

Thanks for the info!  If Coach suggests giving up everything else until you master these steps, I'm happy to do it.  It'd probably be good for me to scale back for while anyway, and if it means really owning these fundamentals I'm sure I'll be better in the long run.

Thanks!

Has there been any commentary on how to integrate this training into a schedule that already includes some ring work/WODs?  I've been at these for quite a while now, and although I certainly have things to accomplish within the Foundation 1 Series, but the look of things the volume/difficulty is much less than what I've gotten accustomed to with WOD/static practice.

Is there a suggested path for those of us who have built up a decent work volume with the more advanced training while accomplishing the Foundation goals?  Should I simply drop this other training in favor of exclusively working the Foundation 1 stuff?  I feel like I'm being lazy but if that's the path to greatest success I'm willing to tough it out.

Here is Coach Sommer's previous reply to a essentially the same question

I am not comfortable with the term "skip ahead".  There should be no "skipping" of elements, mastery of each and every element should be demonstrated.  It is not however necessarily necessary to perform a full 12 week training cycle for each element.  

- Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to simply attempt mastery of the next element and integrated mobility each workout day.

- If you were nearly able to demonstrate mastery, you could perform a short three week training cycle by beginning at week 9 of the programming.

- If your attempt to demonstrate mastery was only moderately successful, you could perform an 8 week training cycle by beginning at week 5 of the programming.

- And of course if the mastery was completely beyond you, you should perform an entire 12 week cycle and begin at week 1. 

- If you wish to perform other skill work that day in addition to your mastery work, that is fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Sven Ravnstag

Here is Coach Sommer's previous reply to a essentially the same question

Thank you, Cole! I don't mean to ask redundant questions; I've been trying to keep up with the Q/A developments but sometimes the amount of info and the desire to get it right gets the better of me and I miss answers to questions I haven't yet asked.

The details you provided are just what I was looking for! I appreciate your diligence in clarifying our flurry of questions :)

Sure thing Steve. Things have been busy here, and information is scattered across many threads. In the future I hope to get things more consolidated.

• Upvote 1

Additional information:

- The opportunity to apply for GB Foundation Level One Certification will be available for those who successfully master the Foundation One materials.

Coach,

Is it absolutely necessary to purchase all of the books to apply for each level of GB certification or GB forum ranking? In the future, will you list the requirements, so people who are quite advanced can just send a video demonstration of mastery over those skills?

Can you pass a class in college without buying the textbook?  

No, it will not be possible to achieve either GB Forum ranking or GB Certification without having purchased the proper materials.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Can you pass a class in college without buying the textbook?  

No, it will not be possible to achieve either GB Forum ranking or GB Certification without having purchased the proper materials.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I understand your decision to not make it possible for achieving a forum ranking or certification without buying the product, but I would like to talk about the passing college without textbook question/remark. I would say it's possible to pass some college courses without buying the textbook at all, you just need to study the notes in lecture or have a lot of prior knowledge and do well in the exams and assignments. Not that I have done it without buying the textbooks before (I always buy mine), but I have heard of some students passing a course without buying the materials and this was from a prestigious university too.

So is Handstand One a part of the Foundation's Series.? Is that a separate book and purchase? When will the rest of the series be available. I plan to buy the series but I want to know when I will get the rest of books.

P.S.  In just a few short weeks after Foundation One becomes available, I will also be releasing Handstand One.    

2013 is going to be a very cool year.   :icon_cool:

Will "Handstand One" be a course similar to the Foundation Courses with embedded videos?

Are you still planning on releasing the books mentioned in BtGB?

Adv - Ring Strength - All Muscle, No Iron
Joint Preparation / Active Flexibility - Liquid Steel™
Handstand Work - The Handstand Chronicles
Dynamic Strength - The Dynamic Physique

Or will new "Foundation style" courses, with embeded videos essentially eliminate the need for those books?

Will "Handstand One" be a course similar to the Foundation Courses with embedded videos?

Are you still planning on releasing ...

Joint Preparation / Active Flexibility - Liquid Steel™
Handstand Work - The Handstand Chronicles

Or will new "Foundation style" courses, with embeded videos essentially eliminate the need for those books?

Yes!

Liquid Steel™ is being rolled into Courses, for example the mobility elements found in the Foundations Course are from what would have been Liquid Steel™.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

There has been no word so far on a release of All Muscle, No Iron. It's unlikely that a release is planned soon, since I don't think there are many (if any) people on the forum that Coach would deem ready for that material. Given that the foundation series looks like it will be a ~5 year haul for most people, I don't think there's much of a hurry. 

Joshua Naterman

3-5 years is a pretty good estimate. That's actually pretty good for having good form in all the exercises.

Because people have had very little exposure to this kind of thing, they simply do not have an appreciation for just how ridiculously strong they will be.

• Upvote 1

Least in my experience you really need 4 years if you're specialized to truly see where your upper limits are. The first two years are solid foundation building. I've not developed gymnasts from scratch to professional levels but I have with strength athletes, and the foundation is so incredibly crucial. The upper levels of foundational work become a bit more specific in nature but continue on building what you have already established. You cannot be short sighted and impatient an expect to do higher levels skills.

Keilani Gutierrez

which explains my excitement for Handstands One to be released. I'm so thrilled with what foundation one has been doing for me and im extremely looking forward to honing my handstand development. is there a release date so far, Cory?

which explains my excitement for Handstands One to be released. I'm so thrilled with what foundation one has been doing for me and im extremely looking forward to honing my handstand development. is there a release date so far, Cory?

Nothing specific other than February. We'd rather give a broad date and have it come sooner than promise early and have some hiccup prevent meeting that date.

Keilani Gutierrez

Nothing specific other than February. We'd rather give a broad date and have it come sooner than promise early and have some hiccup prevent meeting that date.

couldn't agree more and thanks for the reply :) muchas gracias, amigo!

FREDERIC DUPONT

Based on recent experience, my money is on Feb 28th (or 29th maybe?)  :)

.......... not that it matters all that much to me, I have my hands full with F1 already.

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm doing the best i can to work on my shoulder flexibility to finally have a stacked handstand. Handstand One's integrated mobility work(if it is structured that way) should help loooooads