Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A ring hanging solution

triple

I bought an Iron Gym just for this purpose. Every movement in the book is possible.

The official site is: www.getirongym.com but I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond.

The infomercial presentation made me hesitant, but it works.

Hang the ring straps from the part of the curved bar that extends out. This allows clearance from the door frame for a full range of movement.

Interesting, I'd prefer a set of gymnastics rings and straps, longer straps will help in handstands eventually and they harder to stabilize.

A portable pullup bar on ebay costs like 15 bucks.

Ahh, my bad. I thought this was the similar product with rings attached.

David Picó García

I was thinking about that, but with that type Home%20Gym%20NO%20HANDLE%20BARS.jpg which has more clearance from door for assist cross pulls. Do you find it secure? (obviously not for kipping pull ups, but i mean controlled work)

Yes I feel it's secure, I do kipping pull-ups on it. I jump on it and swing through the doorway while passing through. It comes with an extra metal bit, that slips behind the molding on the top frame, which I don't think has been called into much use, and is there, just in case.

The only issue, I just remembered, is that the rings hang about 44cm apart instead of 50.

I will have to try that other pull up bar, it looks like you would be able to get to 50cm, and you'd be able to get even further out from the door.

Which can be a problem, on the Iron Gym, if your movements are not well controlled (if you are new to rings, like me) the rings can bump the door frame.

On the other hand, comparing the two, the Iron Gym looks like it has different grips than that other one. Iron Gym has foam grips, which absorb the shock and sound and they hug the ring straps tight, so you can do jackknifes without slippage.

Also, on the bar you posted, the curved bar (where you would hang your rings) is bolted under the straight bar, and on the Iron Gym, the curved bar is bolted on top of the straight bar.

The Iron Gym's handles let you just loop over the ring straps instead of unhooking them, which is a minor convenience, I would trade to get even further out, I think.

The biggest selling point for the Iron Gym was that I could get it in store with reciept, in case it didn't work out. Now that I know it does, I might pick up one like you posted and start a collection.

I'm starting to sound like an infomercial for Iron Gym...

Signed,

Billy Mays.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't digging the iron gym but I couldn't find a portable pullup bar for my bros for xmas and I did find one of these at the drug store.

I can do a butterfly kip or a regular kip, this could be problematic if you're taller cause your knees could hit the floor. Maybe you'd have to be really tall, but I can stand on hold onto it and I am taller than oompa loompas and dwarves and smaller than most elite male gymnasts.

We use to hang the rings wide to make them a bit more stable when hanging them from a high bar. I notice it's different (more unstable) when I'm on ceiling rings rather than mine on my pullup tower.

I just think with the portable bar, you could lower the bar down for kids or those adults who cannot do pullups yet and could do body rows. I'm having my 14yo brother do jumping PU, lockoff ( he can do a lockoff for 30s but not a PU, I think he just his body doesn't know how to be efficient at it yet ), and do the negative.

Or I could just get him rings, heheh. If he uses the iron gym, I'll buy my brothers the rings.