Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Floor Maltese Vs. Rings Maltese Vs. Bars Maltese

Brian Li

Would the floor maltese transfer over well to a rings maltese and vice-versa? I've heard from some people that a floor maltese is harder. I currently can't train any rings malteses or crosses because my rings setup location doesn't allow it and I'm working on the floor maltese and some arm supported malteses on bars hoping it will transfer over to rings someday. Either way I'm still going to be working on the floor maltese even if it doesn't transfer well to the rings because it's a skill I really like too.

Will maltese on bars correlate well to a rings or floor maltese and is it harder or easier than either? How about also a narrow arm maltese on PB? How well would that transfer to the others?

Joshua Slocum

I've known three athletes who could do a rings maltese but not a floor maltese. However one of them learned a floor maltese later on without too much trouble. This would imply that there's a reasonable, but imperfect, carryover from rings to floor. My guess is that the reverse would be true, too: you'd get some carryover, but you'd have to do more training to get the skill. For the PB, I'd guess there is very little caryover, since your arms are bent and at your sides, so it's an almost entirely different position. 

Yeah, that was what I thought too since they look very similar to each other. I thought a narrow arm maltese on PB could be done with straight arms and what do you think of the other bars maltese where you turn the push-up bars or paralletes out and place them wide apart for you to do a maltese that resembles a ring maltese?

EDIT: I don't know why my texts are lined spaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it because when you grab onto something with your fingers it's easier to active the forearm muscles? I tried to do planche lean on floor and also on parallets, it seems forearm muscles are engaged more on parallets.