Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Inverted Cross Technique

Joshua Slocum

Joshua Slocum

I'm looking for some advice on proper technique for holding the inverted cross. Unfortunately information on this hold is a little hard to come by: I couldn't find anything by searching the forum, and neither BTGB nor OG have any information. The way I've seen it done in competition, the gymnast generally has a slight arch in the back and elevated shoulders, so I've basically been trying to emulate that. What I've been focusing on is:

- Keep the shoulders elevated; if the shoulders start to depress, terminate the hold.

- Slightly arch the back to engage more of the pectoral/chest muscles 

- Rings at shoulder height

- Push really hard  :D

Am I missing anything? 

For review, this is a hold I performed during a workout 11 days ago, with a 30# counterweight:

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Daniel Burnham

I have a few friends that use it in competition I'll ask. I've noticed they seem to rotate and lock their arms out.

I also curious if Japanese handstand on floor would be a good progression.

If you look into the next page under rings forum there's a topic called Scapular Functions and movements during rings elements. I tried to touch on the Inv. Cross there because yea, I agree there isn't much discussion on the move anywhere...I think coach would say he typically doesn't train his athletes on it until they have a solid Maltese but that's just an assumption.

Most people seem to use a supreme false trip in it, and a good amount of ext. rotation of the humerus. I think a viable way to begin developing inv. cross strength would be having a solid XR handstand, and then doing the opposite of cross 'flaps'. In this case instead of dipping in and out of a support hold, you'd dip in and out of a handstand towards an inverted cross.

When I work the inv. butterfly I like to do inverted crosses with my arms through the rings. It's a fun hold and builds shoulder girdle strength.

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Slocum
I have a few friends that use it in competition I'll ask. I've noticed they seem to rotate and lock their arms out.

I also curious if Japanese handstand on floor would be a good progression.

If you got comments from your friends that would be very helpful!

Unfortunately Japanese handstand is not very helpful. I can do one, and it you don't have to push nearly as hard because the friction of the floor helps a lot. 

put sliders under your hands (might want to try against a wall first... with something soft under where your head might hit the ground)

also, inverted cross presses on low rings, feet elevated on box, piked at hip

I'm reluctant to give advice since obviously I cannot do an inverted cross - but I think these would be decent supplemental exercises.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum
also, inverted cross presses on low rings, feet elevated on box, piked at hip

I like that idea a lot. I'll give it a shot.