Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking For A Good Jump-Rope

Cody Hahn

Hey guys. I am looking for a good jump-rope to train with. Any suggestions as far as types, brands, companies, etc? In case it matters I am 72 in tall.

Joshua Naterman

The buddy lee ropes are the best I have ever used, and I've tried the knock-offs with steel ropes as well. Those are also good ropes, but since they're basically all the same price, why not get the best?

I recommend getting the longer handles, not the shorter handles. You'll see what I mean if you search for "Buddy Lee Jump Ropes" on google.

David Picó García

Also any cheap one you can find will do the job if Buddy Lee are not avalaible for you. But go for speed jump ropes, avoid leather or rope ones because they are sloooooooow. Plastic  ones are best. 

I used electric cable with some medical tape on each end (this way it won't slip out of your hand, but without gloves you can expect torn callouses). The cable weighs more than rope, so its easier to handle.

(I needed jumprope back in the beginning of the 90's, but I couldn't find a jumprope long enough for me, so I had to fabricate one.)

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman
A bit of rope works fine for me, I'm not certain you'll get much more benefit from a "good" (expensive) one.

This shows you haven't been introduced to what a proper jump rope can do :)

Of course, if all someone wants to do is a little warm up the you're right!

If you want to really use it as a high-end fitness tool. you need a good rope. Good ropes don't cost much more than the standard ropes sold at Dick's Sporting Goods, maybe $12. A small price difference for a world of difference in quality and uitility. The best rope to get, for an athete, is the "Rope master" at 27 dollars. I mean seriously, is that too much for a truly incredible tool that adjusts to your exact size?

The nicest thing about the buddy lee rope, aside from the swivel bearings, is that it uses a hollow PVC "rope," which has the following advantages:

1) It is very, very fast but very, very light. This rope will go faster than your feet can ever keep up with because of the swivel bearings, and will do so without a whole lot of stress on your hands. This means that you will never run into a situation where you COULD go faster if your arms just wouldn't get so tired!

2) Because it is light, it has low momentum and thus causes little to no pain when you hit yourself. especially if you're not completely barefoot, but even then it's WAY better than the normal ropes. It does hurt more than cloth.

3) The hollow design allows for infinite customizeability. You can cut off 1/8 of an inch if you want. This allows, literally, a perfect fit with almost no effort.  All you do is screw one end onto one of the handles, hold this handle so the top is at your shoulder, step on the rope, and cut the other end at the same height as the attached end. Congratulations, you have a beginner level jump rope! As you get better, faster, and more coordinated you can cut off 1" at a time. This makes the rope faster, but requires better form. In this way, your skill level increases steadily. As that increases, the intensity of your workouts will increase as well.

Being able to do that with just one rope is pretty incredible. Yes, I know that sounds like an advertisement, and I am proud to say that if I could sell these things I would. They are that good.

Joshua Naterman
I used electric cable with some medical tape on each end (this way it won't slip out of your hand, but without gloves you can expect torn callouses). The cable weighs more than rope, so its easier to handle.

(I needed jumprope back in the beginning of the 90's, but I couldn't find a jumprope long enough for me, so I had to fabricate one.)

Now THAT'S creative :) I like it!

• 1 month later...
Adam Williams

I almost tried one of the buddy lee jump ropes when I last bought some, but for the cost, I saw too many reviews of people having problems with the handles or bearings. Gotta take that with a grain of salt, of course, but I decided not to go with them. I wasn't about to buy a rope that didn't have some sort of swivel system or something of that nature, because I was sick of dealing with all the twisting/tangling ropes I bought from Dicks Sporting Goods and the like.

But after looking around online for a while, I bought a few ropes from buyjumpropes.net (they're based in the state of Washington I think). There may be some similar vendors out there, but they sell an awesome PVC rope for under $10 (Championship Long Handle Freestyle), and a cable rope (like electric cable - Cable Freestyle) for under $15. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm impressed with them. Quick, fairly light ropes, easy to adjust (at least the PVC one...don't have the cable one handy atm to check), and definitely no annoying tangling.

Stewart Whaley

Follow the instructions below and you'll have an inexpensive (under $10), fast and long-lasting rope.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2011/04/21/jump-rope-training-handle-modification/

The "rope" portion in my pics is a $5 plastic rope from Academy Sports.

The key is that the cotton handles cause very little friction, so the rope doesn't wear out.

It turns pretty fast if you make sure the handles are wrapped tightly. 

There are commercial ones that are faster, but those handles will break/hang up/etc. long before this one thinks about wear-and-tear.

Check out 4:32 - 5:30 of Ross's video; it will turn fast and take a beating.

post-1405-0-66721000-1360727572_thumb.jppost-1405-0-61856800-1360727599_thumb.jppost-1405-0-01351300-1360727626_thumb.jp

Joshua Naterman

That's a good mod, right there. Probably the best cheap rope you can make.

And, like the Buddy Lee ropes, you can adjust the rope to exactly the size that best suits your current ability level.

Stewart Whaley

The fastest I've made was a thin plastic-coated wire with PVC handles.

Insanely fast but it would almost sever an ankle and then the handle friction burned through it. Might try the cotton handle approach on it.

You learn to move feet really fast when a toe guillotine is coming. :)

I'd like to check out a Buddy Lee sometime.

I've only refrained from purchase because I'm really hard on equipment and afraid I'd break it.