Bent Arm Stand Can't Hold For Long

Started by paintrick, December 12, 2012 · 13 Replies · 5,184 Views

paintrick
Hey guys,

 

I currently can only hold the Bent Arm Stand in the rings for like a second

before I come falling down into Shoulderstand..

 

I am also unable to push it out into HS (as of today) :(

 

Now i'm wondering if i'm lacking the shoulder strength or tricep strength

to hold this position (or a combination / others)

 

Can you guys help out?

 

Thank you!
Flameous

There are no magic tricks. Just work the handstand pushup progressions until you are there.

paintrick

Thanks Flameous, however I am not flexible enough to work through the basic HSPU progressions

and definitly not strong enough to do HS/HSPU in the rings.

 

What else can I work on to get to the Bent Arm Stand?

Rik de Kort

Not sure what you mean with bent-arm stand. Elbow lever?

Joshua Naterman

I think he may be talking about shoulder stand.

Daniel Burnham

I think he means a high shoulder stand. Like the position you see when people bent arm press into handstand.

Either way you need to work hspu. If you don't have flexibility for that then you have something else to work on before you start.

paintrick

Yes you can call it a high shoulder stand..

it's a shoulderstand with your lower arm 45degrees on your upper arm

 

I guess i can do HSPU neg against the wall on the P-bars, but that's a sure way to injury

no other progressive exercises i could do?

 

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

How are you not flexible enough to do the basic HeSPU/HSPU progressions, as claimed in your reply to flamous?

 

Do you have a disability?

 

Do you have the book?

 

What is your current idea of what the progressions are?

Naxels

I am not flexible enough in my wrists + legs to do the box HeSPU or flexible in my legs to do the even easier: Pike HeSPU

So what i did do is executed poor (technique wise) reps on box with P-bars

I am also not flexible enough to kick up into HS against wall

So in order for me to do the more advanced negatives i walk up to the wall and do them

So i have no dissability, yes i have the book, and the above is a bit of what the progressions are

Daniel Burnham
Naxels said:
I am not flexible enough in my wrists + legs to do the box HeSPU or flexible in my legs to do the even easier: Pike HeSPU

So what i did do is executed poor (technique wise) reps on box with P-bars

I am also not flexible enough to kick up into HS against wall

So in order for me to do the more advanced negatives i walk up to the wall and do them

So i have no dissability, yes i have the book, and the above is a bit of what the progressions are

If this is the case then you have serious flexibility issues that need to be addressed.  You should focus on that first. 

Rik de Kort

This PDF from Kit has some good mobility exercises. Also see

.
Naxels

Thanks Rik,

unfortunately i do not see the PDF, can you link?

Coach Sommer

- You not ready for shoulderstand work and are attempting to work strength elements which you are not prepared for.

 

- Stop your current training and start over from the beginning without attempting to skip steps.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer