Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glute-Ham Raise

Connor Davies

Connor Davies

I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a homemade Glute-Ham raise by wrapping resistance bands around a table? I don't have access to a training partner or a gym, and while I was considering building something for natural leg curls, it seems like I would be missing out on the hip-flexion part of the exercise if I wasn't raised off the ground somewhat...

But i'm worried that the bands would stretch too much to allow me to perform the exercise? I don't want to shell out money for the bands if they turn out to be useless...

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Ring straps, truck straps, anything that won't stretch should do the trick. If you don't like how they feel, put the strap through a 2" PVC pipe (make sure you sand the inside edge a little so it doesn't cut the straps) that's about 12" long. You can use clothing or towels to pad it, it will add about 1 dollar to total cost, and be much more comfortable than just a strap.

Also, make sure you pad the strap (or table) where it hits the edge of the table so you don't damage the wood!

@Bipocni

I wouldn't worry about the hip flexion portion of the GHR. I have actually found that this portion of the range of motion is considerably easier than the portion that goes from start to down to the floor (body touching floor surface). However, this easier range can be used as an assist to give you momentum to complete the full movement. It can be easy to assist too much with this though.

One thing I have started doing and like alright (I have gotten frustrated with always trying to use a table and not get in everybody else's way) is to use a board or a piece of 3/4" plywood. Place your knees and feet on the board and then position either a tied rope or one of those tie down straps with a ratchet over your ankles. You can pad the ankles as Joshua has suggested. Basically the board needs to be just a little wider than your knees, as long as the distance from your feet to your knees plus a little more, and thick enough that it does not flex or break.

A simple modification of attaching a 2x4 board on either side of the main board will greatly help by both extending the length of main board out front so that it doesn't tip forward as you descend, and by effectively providing extra rigidity so that the main board doens't flex or break.

Really there are almost endless possiblities to setting up for the NLC or GHR. The hard part seems to be progressing in the movement! Progress seems to be measured in increments of maybe an inch and they don't seem to come that easy for me.

Cody Hahn

Ring straps, truck straps, anything that won't stretch should do the trick. If you don't like how they feel, put the strap through a 2" PVC pipe (make sure you sand the inside edge a little so it doesn't cut the straps) that's about 12" long. You can use clothing or towels to pad it, it will add about 1 dollar to total cost, and be much more comfortable than just a strap.

Also, make sure you pad the strap (or table) where it hits the edge of the table so you don't damage the wood!

Slizz,

Do you have a picture or video of said contraption? Or Do you know someone who does?

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

No, but it isn't complicated.

You just run the strap through the pipe and tie the strap to the table with folded towels between the strap and the wood. The strap makes a tight loop around the table. Adjust to personal comfort.

And make sure that table isn't going to flip over when your fully extended off the end of it, or pulling yourself back up. I broke my hobby bench at home by doing this exercise.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
FREDERIC DUPONT
And make sure that table isn't going to flip over when your fully extended off the end of it, or pulling yourself back up. I broke my hobby bench at home by doing this exercise.

HA! or your knees going through the top!

The more I picture this, the more it appears like a pretty bad idea... :D

........ If you do it, just make sure you have a camera rolling so we can laugh at the video while you are in hospital. ;)