Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bucket Circle Set-Up

Calbear

I was hoping someone on here could give me some design tips for a bucket rig. My plan is to use the local park's swingset. One of the swings is removed leaving just the tower and bar. Now my question is, I have a 5 gallon bucket and I have about 18 feet of rope. How would I construct a portable set up for the swing-set? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I made a portable rig before, Calbear. Just get enough rope to be able to throw it over whatever it hangs from besides attaching it to a carabiner. I did it this way as I was too lazy to set up a huge block tower to hang it from the ceiling of the gym, especially as the rumor was we would be moving soon ( and I'd have to take it down ).

You're gonna have to tie it off, it's no biggie really once you figure out the height you need.

As well, I put a ring attached to a bracket on the bucket and duct tapes over the nuts. Unfortunately, the rope will twist.

Got it Blairbob,

I figured I would have to do it that way. I was just trying to avoid having the rope twist.

Calbear,

I've been thinking about how I'll make one too. I've seen setups with the swivel part next to the bucket instead of the ceiling, which might make it more portable. If you want an easy way to attach it to a swing set, just make an eye on one end of the rope and throw it over the swingset and then thread the other end through the eye, pull out the slack, and then attach it to the bucket. The rope might slide a bit on the swing, unless you thread the rope through the little ring that the swing chain goes through.

mark

Mark,

That sounds like it would work fine. I am going to finish rigging it up tonight and i will let you know how it ends up

• 4 years later...
Stewart Whaley

My DIY circle bucket:

cheap (like $20 US), useful, easily replaced, doesn't cause rope twisting, etc.

The swivel in the pics is pretty lightweight but it has been fine for me for a long time and I'm 230 lbs.

Not putting all of my bodyweight on it anyway and if it breaks I can always upgrade to a stronger one.

5 gallon plastic bucket

a few feet of nylon rope

1 eye bolt

2 washers

2 nuts

1 swivel hook

couple feet of duct tape

1. drill hole in bucket

2. eye bolt with washers on each side

3. 2 nuts to lock bolt into place

4. wrap bucket with a couple loops of nylon rope to reinforce the lip

5. throw a couple wraps of duct tape around it because

a. duct tape is awesome

b. see a above

6. attach swivel

7. tie to something and start spinning.

post-1405-0-36685900-1360721947_thumb.jppost-1405-0-59448200-1360721982_thumb.jppost-1405-0-83221000-1360722006_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

It looks very nice to me, and very well done! :)

If I may? The flange you are using inside the bucket seems a bit small on the picture, but a larger one will need to be bended, which may not be easy to do properly... You could insert a 1 or 2 mm thick pad made of (? thick PVC from some sort of packaging, leather cut from an old bag, rubber from an old tire air bladder, several layers of that duct tape you like so much, etc...) between the flange and the inner wall of the bucket

- cut the pad roughly twice or 3 times the dia of the flange, and maybe double it.

- If you cut the center hole as a cross (without removing material), you might even be able to protect the edges of the hole in the bucket.

I think that would offer good protection and increase the durability of the whole thing.

Stewart Whaley

Good call on the flange.

The lip deforms a lot (without the rope added) because the inside contact point is so small.

I'll cut a quarter pipe of PVC and add on the inside.