Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Homemade Parallel Bars

Sayjin

Hey guys,

Has anyone here managed to make a set of parallel bars? I just made a set of PVC parallets last night in order to train L-Sits but found that since they're too low (6 inches off the ground) I can't train the proper progression.

I've thought about buying some more PVC in order to modify my parallets and turn them into parallel bars in order to train L-sits and dips: 4 feet off the ground with the actual two bars at the top being 4 feet in length. My only concern is that the PVC may very well snap at that height off the ground.

Thanks,

- Sayjin

I'm interested in this also. I've thought of maybe inserting a couple of my 1" wide weight bars into some PVC pipe for added strength. I searched the net to no avail for DIY info.

I would just get some wooden dowels from a hardwood store. Shouldn't be that expensive and would be much sturdier.

- Chris

• Upvote 1

TheRustySpoon

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library ... lettes.pdf

Word of advice though, i find not using the glue produced a sturdy bond, however when i moved it back and forth it was wobbly... so i just tighten my parallettes once in a while.

Also, this is pretty cheap. It costed me about $30 bucks. the 12 inch pipe was like $7, the T join and the elbow joints were like 50 cents each. But the damn end caps costed me 2 bucks each ( theres 8 of them).

Oh and i used ABS piping instead of PVC piping cause the guy at the store said the PVC pipes they had was big, but was too thin. :P hope that helped

TheRustySpoon

sry for the double post, i couldn't find the edit button

Hmm how bout making multiple segments at top instead of one big bar? but either way i dont think pvc is strong enough for all those....pbar moves o:

Just an idea, but if you're concerned about the strength of dowel or PVC for your parallel bars, consider reinforcing them with fibreglass. Use the PVC or dowel as a core, and then wrap it in a layer of fine weave fibreglass fabric. paint the cloth in polyester fibreglass resin (Do this either outside or in a very well ventilated garage and wear a fume mask please!). Then wrap the wet bar with plastic kitchen wrap. Prick a few holes in the plastic wrap with a fork, and then wrap the whole project with an old sheet very very tightly. Wearing rubber gloves, squeeze along the tube (ideally you would sit the project in a vacuum bag at this stage, but I don't think it's important unless your project requires a low weight i.e. boat masts, racing equipment etc.)

Leave to cure for a few days and unwrap. The squeezing presses excess resin out of the fibreglass through the holes in the plastic wrap, which is then absorbed by the old sheet. The plastic wrap is easily removed from the cured fibreglass.

You can now sand a smooth finish on the bar, and paint if desired. I must add the caveat that I have NOT made P-bars this way myself, but I have built a few foam core kitesurf boards that never cease to amaze me with their strength. I am sure that this would translate very well to increasing the strength of PVC or dowel P-bars for the investment of maybe $50 and a few days of time.

Sayjin, could you post back here if you managed to make a set of parallel bars successfully? I'd like to make a set as well and am still thinking how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made myself some parallel bars today. I cut a 2x4 into four pieces for the bottom and some 4x4s for the legs and some 2x2s for the bars. They're pretty good, and the best part is, I didn't have to go anywear to get the material. :)

wooden dowels and wooden blocks, bore out the blocks, insert the dowel. I would either use thicker than normal wooden dowels ( as the wood most dowels are made of is soft ) are cut them out from a harder wood unless you can find dowels that are made of a harder wood variety

if you can't L sit on 6 inch parallettes, you need to be working tuck sit or doing the L with your knees bent at a 135 degree angle, knees as high as hips. Or you can do the one leg straight, one leg tucked variant.

• 5 years later...

Oh and i used ABS piping instead of PVC piping cause the guy at the store said the PVC pipes they had was big, but was too thin. :P hope that helped

i wanted to built these things too, wanted to use asb pipes but wasin't sure because i didn't know if it would be as strong as PVC. So i was wondering if your bars are still in good shape ?

DareToBeGymnast

i just made my own PVC paralettes :D pretty solid imo(i'm 82kg). i hope i won't die during my HSPU

• Upvote 2

i just made my own PVC paralettes :D pretty solid imo(i'm 82kg). i hope i won't die during my HSPU

What i mean is that at my home depot they told me thydont have 90 degree and t shapes in pvc, but they have in the abs material. So im wondering if abs is as solid as pvc ?

Where did you get your materiel?