Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wushu Videos

JoeSimo

As requested I am putting up some videos of various wushu forms. I actually don't have any at the moment of myself, still trying to get one from a friend of mine from our last demo. Still the china guys and gals are way better.

The one thing I like about Wushu is the variety of styles you can learn. In essence there is something for everyone.

Di Tang Quan - Ground Tumbling Fist - Yuan Wen Qing

Fan Zi Quan - Li Jing

Ying Zhao Quan - Eagle Claw -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGe7PijrVzM - This is actually the form I am working on now.

- Xu Xiang Dong the best at eagle claw

Xing Yi Quan and Zui Quan (drunken Boxing)

Chang Quan - Long Fist - Probably the core of wushu. Its the one form thats required to learn. Everyone learns ChangQuan first in contemporary wushu. The form contains all the wushu basics and jumps.

-Liu Hai Bo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb5dGKa1kVI - Zhao Qing Jian - One of the best

- This is one of the basic compulsory forms. This is the Long Fist form I learned. Its very tiring.

Weapons - Wushu is also full of weapons routines. In fact most everyone specializes in a long weapon and a short weapons. Long weapons include staff, spear, whip chain, 3 section staff, 2 section staff, kwan dao. Short weapons include broadsword, straight sword, double broadsword and double straight sword.

Jian - Straight Sword - Liu Qing Hua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1salH5ia ... re=related

Gun Shu - Staff

Qiang Shu - Spear

Dao Shu - broadsword

Amazing Tai Chi Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W1ym3yggR4

Actually this is really only the most popular forms. There are probably 50 others I just didnt have time to find videos for. Things like Tiger, Mantis, Drunken staff, Drunken Sword, Monkey, Monkey Staff, 3 Section Staff, 9 SEction Whip Chain, and so on and so forth.

Ok Thats all I got for now. Any questions feel free to ask.

One of these days I'll learn the chain whip.

Oh man, that's gotta be my favorite--it's hard to find many people that do it, at least in my area. Definitely worth the trouble of looking for a place though.

Back in my young'n days we trained suruchin, which is an Okinawan weapon of a rock tied to a rope at each end. So basically, you have rope with a weight at each end and a bit similar in my mind. However, it's all the cool Jet Li transitions I have no idea about. In okinawan kobudo I was never taught or saw too many varations on it's usage.

Sansetsukon, 3 sectional stuff was pretty fun.

My biggest beef with wushu weapons is that they are not real weapons, being lighter aluminum facsimiles unless they are using a Jian for long fist or tai chi sword. However, I am getting away from " Wushu " and into Kung Fu. I find a lot of similarities between rhythmic gymnastics and wushu, actually.

Yeah the wushu weapons are lighter version in most cases. The swords arent aluminum actually. They are a lighter spring steel. Aluminum would just break too quickly, hell the steel swords break too quickly. Nevertheless they are still dangerous. I had to drive my friend to the hospital one night because he sliced his hand open with a broadsword. He needed 6 stitches.

The other weapons are just as real as normal versions though. Staff, spear, whip chain all are full weight and rather deadly. Few of my friends know whip chain and the minute you lose focus the minute it hit hits your in the face. Not a pleasant experience.

The similarities to rhythmic gymnastics are abundant too. The one major difference is the snap needed at the end of each punch or kick. This girl, Olga, trained with us for a few months a while back. She was an exceptional rhythmic gymnast. So, her kicks and twisting motions were exquisite to watch. Only problem was they lacked the snap at the end that would define the punch, kick, sweep or jump. With her background though she was able to pick up everything really quickly. She even made some of the other students jealous over her flexibility.. :D

I think alot of these sports have similar fundamentals in terms of flexibility, strength and balance. That would also be the reason I dont find it a burden, but rather an advantage, to train wushu, gymnastics, acrobatics and rock climbing at the same time.

Well, that's good to know. Some Aluminum can be treated to be very strong, but I'm a firm believer of training with the real thing because of authenticity. You can blunt them ( like Japanese iaito ) but, well that's that.

I'll agree that the rhythmic gymnasts tend to just dance open their movements than snap ( like dance ).

Cool, cool.

Great vids-as for any Chinese martial art being called "kung fu," According to various wushu instructors i met, Wushu literally translates to "martial art" while kung fu means something more along the lines of something well done, or an aptitude you may have-it doesn't have to be related to martial arts. Just thought I''d share that tidbit of info with everyone.

The character of Wu or Bu ( Japanese translation ) refers to martial. Kung fu refers to skill but I'd have to look up the characters to see if it is kung or fu that means skill.

• 1 month later...
Chris H Laing

I love how some of the wushu-ists (?) move so quick that the camera cant follow them. Some crazy stuff.