Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Spasm/Twitch

matthew.percussion

matthew.percussion

Recently I have been having recurring muscle spasms, nothing to exciting, just an obnoxious twich, normally in my hamstrings and forearms.

I'm fairly certain I know the reason for them but, I figured I would get a second opinion... And I have a slight dilema to go along with it all.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I am also allergic to bananas(which is terrible because they are just so tasty). My assumption is that I am not getting enough potassium in my diet and that is what is causing my twitches. Does this sound right? What are some other good ways of getting potassium(other than a potassium pill)?

muscle twitches are called fascilculation and are not due to muscular inbalences but neural stress... try and google it... similar to a cramp but different than a muscular contracture...

matthew.percussion: Quick question, how much fruit and veg do you eat, because most of them contain a decent amount of potassium anyway, not only bananas. So as long as you get a decent amount of fruits/veg then I doubt you would need a potassium suppliment!

Peace,

Mike

matthew.percussion

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Actually, thinking back on this I already knew that most fruits and veggies have potassium in them. I guess it just slipped my mind.

Thanks griffdrc. I'll go ahead and look that up.

matthew.percussion

griffdrc, I was just looking at a page of causes for fasiculation, looks like the problem is most likely from either dehydration or fatigue. Thanks for the help. I'll keep you posted on whether or not it goes away. :)

matthew.percussion

All gone. Not sure if it was fatigue or dehydration but, I drank a lot of water and took a nap on the way home from families house. lol. Thanks for the help guys.

What I often will do for muscle spasms (which happens very regularly, and I get plenty of potassium) is to apply pressure against the twitch--it tires the muscle out, and it should relax after a couple minutes, at most. I wouldn't worry about it--I assume they're mostly due to having been stressed.

bananas are not actually the best form of potassium.

apples, apricots, asparagus, avocados, beets, bok choy, broccoli and broccoli rabe, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cashews, cauliflower, cherries, coconut, dandelion, dates, edamame, eggplant, GUAVA has a lot of potassium, and etc. etc. etc

if you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, you will get enough potassium

you may also want to think about reducing your sodium intake.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.