Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rogue Competition Straps

Matus Michalicka

Matus Michalicka

Have any of you tried these straps? I have xtreme rings, but want to buy another rings to take with me to gym, and these straps with wood fig rings look kind of cool with the possibility of exact and quick adjustments .

I hate eyeballing, I always feel that the rings are not exact height :/

Doubt it...Way expensive but intriguing. I like their wood rings as my set is at Roseville CrossFit. Occasionally I visit them.

Matus Michalicka

I know they are really expensive (including shipping to europe, or ordering from more expensive european branch in finland). But lets say price is not an issue.

• 4 months later...
Sonya McNeely

We have both at my gym. The competition (shorter straps with the carabiner) has pros and cons versus the normal (longer with the buckle) type straps.

Competition straps:

Pros:

WAY faster to hook up (no feeding a strap through the buckle for feet and feet) and to relocate

Instantly level as long as you use the same number opening in both straps for the carabiner

Cons:

They are pretty short which can interfere with inverted and which also makes lowering them close to the ground (for ring pushups or ring rollouts) impossible. They offer 6' and 8' so there's your 4' of clearance inverted or 4' of length from the support.

You can only adjust their length in increments of the "openings" - which are approximately 3" each

So, we end up just leaving most longer sets up where there is little traffic and we end up using the competition straps when we need to throw rings up quickly (and not lower them very far, and don't invert).

Good luck. I think this answer probably causes you more angst as the FAST setup is very attractive, but the short length may be problematic for you.

• Upvote 1

Parth Rajguru

You could mark your straps at certain measurements, so every 30cm or so. Start measuring from the buckles, as there may be some discrepencies between strap lengths(a couple cm at most). There is no worry about them being uneven then. It is far cheaper and more convenient than buying an expensive set of straps.

If you want another set to take to the gym, that is a different story. But there are rings available with the straps marked at different lengths, making adjusting the strap length very easy. 

• Upvote 1

You could mark your straps at certain measurements, so every 30cm or so. Start measuring from the buckles, as there may be some discrepencies between strap lengths(a couple cm at most). There is no worry about them being uneven then. It is far cheaper and more convenient than buying an expensive set of straps.

If you want another set to take to the gym, that is a different story. But there are rings available with the straps marked at different lengths, making adjusting the strap length very easy. 

Never thought about doing that simple hack. Thanks for sharing :D

Eric Heiden

As far as worrying about not being perfectly level - I just get my rings as close as I can by eyeballing it (and what feels level) and then I just alternate sets facing one direction or the other.  That way any imbalances will even themselves out by the end of the exercise.  But the straps do look like a good idea.  If only they made them longer!

Marcos Mocine-McQueen

I am not promoting a product over the XR... I will say, though, that I have found Rogue's products to be of solid quality and their customer service to be great. You could check their return policy.

That said, the suggestion above is great. I work at a firehouse that specializes in technical rescue. We have webbing and straps out the ears. We mark webbing that is a color other than black using a black Sharpie. For black webbing, we use a silver Sharpie. The silver sharpie has some sort of metallic quality that stands out strongly against the black.  The silver Sharpies are available at just about any art, stationary or office supply store. I've even seen them occasionally in the grocery store. We touch them up every once in a while for ease-of-viewing, but that's every few years.

Match the buckles up next to each other and place them behind a brick or board (to hold them). Stretch the strap under the board and lay them flat and you can mark both straps at the same time and be confident that the marks are perfectly matched up. If you have a soft tape measure you can tuck it under the brick/board and stretch it alongside the straps and the whole process will take you five minutes from start to finish.

board/brick

{buckle}[[]]_________STRAP_____________________

Klaudius Petrulis

Bought these a week ago. I do not regret it a bit.

One of my favourite purchases from the folks over at Rogue (my 3rd pair of rogue rings, 1st set of comp, but I will buy these again. 8ft)

Joshua Naterman

I just bought a 24" level. They're like 15 bucks and you'll never have to worry again, no matter what oddball height you feel like using that day.

• Upvote 2

George Launchbury

I never remove my rings from the straps, I just throw the top of the loop over/through the anchor, feed the ring+strap through the loop and pull tight (basically a larks head knot).

Michael Traynor

I just bought a 24" level. They're like 15 bucks and you'll never have to worry again, no matter what oddball height you feel like using that day.

This is the best thing to do because as soon as you take marked straps anywhere unusual (like a tree branch or goal posts) the anchor point is necessarily level; all the beams in my gym and not level and it would be a nightmare without a long spirit level as Josh suggests.

Klaudius Petrulis

How would one use the level? Put it inside the rings? On top? Sounds interesting!

Klaudius Petrulis

Oh I've been using these straps on vacation. So far no issues at all. I think I'm partial to these because of my OCD lol

• 3 years later...
William Trask

Looking into Rings and have decided on a pair of Wood rings and noticed the difference in straps.  Rogue has a competition strap that looks cool. Thought I'd bump this tread to hear updated opinions on this style strap.

Rogue Competition Strap

Klaudius Petrulis

Still enjoying my straps 3 years later. I use them more than any other ring strap combo for use of ease

Though I have been thinking of getting the longer ones for different bar heights.

Rogue makes solid products and I don't think they'll disappoint :)

• Upvote 1