Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wood Vs. Polycarbonate Rings

Navi Guerra

I started gymnastics a little while ago and i really like the rings. I am going to set up my own rings at my house. I am wondering which is better, wood rings or metal, polycarbonate, and plastic rings? I will be doing mostly strength trainings and maybe some swings stuff as i progress. Can someone help me that has tried both.

Daniel Burnham

Wood feels the best and has the best grip but is less durable especially in outside conditions. Coach's xtreme rings are the best non-wood practice rings that Ive used. Very durable and a good grip. The only metal ones Ive tried are rogues and they are too big around and have a poor grip.

• Upvote 1

Thanks I think I will probably go with wood.

Wood feels the best and has the best grip but is less durable especially in outside conditions. Coach's xtreme rings are the best non-wood practice rings that Ive used. Very durable and a good grip. The only metal ones Ive tried are rogues and they are too big around and have a poor grip.

By less durable do you mean they wear out easier or do you mean that if they are hit or dropped they break?

Christopher Barlas

Wood are less durable OUTSIDE because they are susceptible to moisture/sun/basic elements. They are raw wood with no sealer/finish so they will delaminate if rained on, dried in the sun etc.

If they are to be mounted indoors... I'd go for wood. Nothing feels as nice as wood.

The rings are to be mounted outside but under my deck. The area is both dry and shaded from the sun. Will they last ok there?

I have now decided to get wood rings. I was looking at either the MDUSA wood rings or the Rouge Fig rings. Which one of those is better or are there better wood rings out there? I am open to any suggestions.

Who knows anything about MDUSA Rings. I know rouge wood rings are good but I wonder about these. They seem really nice but there are virtually no reviews anywhere on the internet. Anyone used them before?

There are ways to make your own wooden rings, and some small-time vendors on eBay will supply them. I bought a pair that seem to be made from plywood and I'm very happy with them. They feel similar to the rings at my gym and any wood feels great in you hands. Much cheaper than others, as well. But lower quality, no doubt.

the MDUSA rings are oversized rings from what I saw. 1.25" Unless you have huge hands, I would not use them for gymnastic work. People about 5'8 can generally get into a false grip with them but even guys 6'+ find false grip is easier on FIG rings.

FIG sized rings FTW. Rogue's are pretty nice but pretty much choose your vendor regarding them.

I would also take them down each session.

Plastic rings are nice for the price and if you are going to use them outside. Recently I decided to tape a pair and my mind was blown. I though the whole idea of taping them was a bit heretical but they work better with tape than chalk alone.

Metal rings...bleh. Good for hitting people with.

There is at least one seller on ebay selling wooden rings pretty cheaply with flaws in them. e.g. they have knots in the wood or something. So they are prefectly shaped but not as strong as flawless rings. They probably withstand normal home use where you would not be exerting much force on them, i.e. no swinging etc.

I presume he just gets rejects from the proper factories.

Daniel Burnham

Is it really worth it? Rings are pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to know that I could have had better ones when I break them during a handstand press or something equally as dangerous.

Is it really worth it? Rings are pretty cheap.

I have not seen proper wooden ones going very cheap. But you are right about the danger, reading his first post again he does mention swings. Personally they would suit me as I do very basic movements on them.

Daniel Burnham

Flaws In wooden rings are usually gaps in the plywood. This can mean seperation of the rings down the road.

Swings have more to do with the straps than the rings themselves. I would not do swings on anything other than an apparatus developed for that purpose. Other than safety issues the nylon straps don't move correctly anyway. Also length of strap changes the swing dynamics quite a bit. If you want to do swings either by a fig rig or find a gym.

If you can't find wooden rings get the xtreme rings. They have no flaws of concern. They also wear well mine stay outside and looks like they did day one.