Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's old is new again!

Larry Roseman

Larry Roseman

Very excited because I ran across an organization that is dedicated to keeping the spirit of the early nutritionists alive.

I think that most of us believe that the whole food movement began with Paleo :) However, Paleo is only the

latest incarnation of this philosophy that was expounded upon at great depths by brilliant scentific people several generations ago, and goes back even further. But it seems that the scentific and biochemical rationalle came to the forefront in the 1930s, lasting until today.

It turns out that a signficent proportion of the nutritionists at the start of this movement were actually highly trained medical personel - dentists especially - Which makes sense given that digestion starts with chewing. :lol:

Here are some tidbits about one, Dr. Page ... quoted

Dr. Melvin E. Page was born in 1894 in Picture Rocks, Pennsylvania. He was the son of a physician and the eldest of three brothers, two of whom were successful inventors. Dr. Page was one of the early pioneers in nutritional biochemistry.

After one year in college, Dr. Page discontinued his studies and embarked on a career as a school teacher. He gained a position as master of a one room schoolhouse in Rosebud, Montana, during which time he was forced to hunt wild game for food, make corn meal cakes and eat whatever he could attain from the dry land farmers. In winter the temperatures averaged 25 degrees below zero. After two years, he decided to return to the University of Michigan where he obtained his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, was made Captain in the ROTC, became middle weight boxing champion, and a member of Sigma Epsilon Fraternity.

Dr. Page was the youngest man to have been on the staff of either hospital. His idea that diet and nutrition could cause a biochemical condition affecting the teeth, and the fact that he dared to suggest that patients should change their eating habits and eliminate white sugar and white flour from their diet was beyond acceptability. He was ostracized by his professional colleagues for his approach and so he temporarily terminated his research in blood chemistry at the hospital.

At the age of 84, this nutritional pioneer still walked a mile to and from his office almost daily.

His treatment and philosophy was simple and logical:

*The harmful effects of the use of white sugar and refined carbohydrates can't be ignored.

*The harmful effects of using chemical additives and other food preservatives for the sake of “shelf life†upsets body chemistry

*Using whole food Vitamins concentrates, Minerals and Digestive Enzymes to supplement daily food intake might be necessary.

*That milk is not the perfect food for everyone.

In the early 1960s Dr. Page found himself and his method of practice under scrutiny from the federal government when he was indicted for practicing outside his scope of practice. After a lengthy trial in which Dr. Page introduced over 3600 case studies and was able to substantiate his findings with over 40,000 blood tests as well as 35 years of research a federal judge found him not guilty. The judge went on to reprimand the American Medical Association and the FDA for not trying to figure out what he was doing rather than harassing him.

Sound familar???

If you are interestied you can read more here...

http://www.ifnh.org/Bio%20Page%20.htm

and his food plan, written in the 1950s ...

http://www.ifnh.org/images/Page%20Food%20Plan.PDF

Quick Start Test Smith
In the early 1960s Dr. Page found himself and his method of practice under scrutiny from the federal government when he was indicted for practicing outside his scope of practice. After a lengthy trial in which Dr. Page introduced over 3600 case studies and was able to substantiate his findings with over 40,000 blood tests as well as 35 years of research a federal judge found him not guilty. The judge went on to reprimand the American Medical Association and the FDA for not trying to figure out what he was doing rather than harassing him.

Hah, that judge sounds pretty cool. Wish we had more like him these days.

Thanks for this info, Fin. I'm going to read everything on that website. I love these kind of things! :D

Larry Roseman

There is an unbelievable account of what happened to Dr. Lee on that site.

The writings by Dr. Pesheck seem to be quite interesting though sometimes difficult.

A portion of ne book can be found here:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=0vxmhgp ... e&q&f=true

These were the guys who introduced the concepts of alkaline/acid balance for example.

It wasn't used as a general recommendation like it is today but for specific conditions I believe, though I may be wrong.

Also they had a system of using physical signs - muscle testing to diagnose conditions and nutritional status and

pressure points to treat. Some of it sounds a bit pseudosciency though appealing as well I do admit.

If you find anything particuarly worthwile Patrick feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Fin

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.