This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

NaterMania

Started by Joshua Naterman, September 8, 2009 · 920 Replies · 532 Views

Razz

Søren if you want, I'm propably ordering some online soon, we can split the taxes for shipping here to Qatar and Ill bring it home in summer. No import taxes here. but we can continue that convo over PM :mrgreen:

Søren

Nice.. I'll send you a message :)

Joshua Naterman
Søren said:
Slizzardman, it seems like you're a big fan of the ZMA :) I got to ask you, what difference do you feel when you're using it? I know the manufactures claim that it will improve your sleep, increase your levels of growth hormones and decrease your chances of muscle cramps, but I've allways been afraid that it was just some advertised crap. Of what I've heard from ohters who have tried it, it's true when it comes to the improved sleep, but that was it. Since it's pretty expensive here in Denmark, I haven't tried it myself yet, even though I would love to.

First off, beware of false advertising. Get true chelates. Zinc Oxide and Magnesium Oxide mixed with monomethionine and aspartic acids is NOT the same as Zinc Monomethionine, Zinc Aspartate and Magnesium Aspartate, in which the zinc and magnesium atoms are molecularly bonded to the amino acids, not just mixed with them in a powder. Most products that don't work well are apparently just a mix of powders, which can be legally referred to as "chelated" even though there is no molecular bond, at least here in the US.

I've noticed increased *** drive(which is saying something, because I am a horny guy already), noticeably more energy in general, and I approach my workouts with even more enthusiasm than usual! I haven't taken it long enough to give a long term report, but strength gains accrue more quickly and recovery is faster. I've definitely noticed that I don't get sore, and it seems like I can add in more work with no fear of over-reaching. I'm doing that slowly, and concentrating on handstands and upper/mid back strength and conditioning for a while. I know my lower traps are way behind the curve.

I don't know about the sleep enhancement, since I sleep pretty well no matter what. Free and total testosterone both rise around 30% from what the literature says, and I can certainly feel a significant difference.

Havoc: Sorry, I just edited the workout to include the rest times. Thanks for pointing that out! Handstand rests were 2 minutes for the first 5 sets, then 2:30, then 3 minutes for the last 3 sets.

Planche rests were 60s.

Razz

HAHAHAHAHA dude I'm cracking up here, now I'm sure my girlfriend won't mind me spending money on supps either :P well never know I'm still 'young' after all so I may not get a rise in test.. we'll see

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The day you buy them you should buy her a football helmet and butt pads, "for safety." Oh, and extra drywall. For patching the wall you're about to damage. HAHAHA!!!

Razz

AHAHAHA it's gonna be expensive this ZMA.. new bed new covers new walls... ok ill stop :P butt pads man that cracked me up I can just imagine that

Joshua Naterman

:lol: It's mostly just for getting a laugh, but you never know! I just have 7 sets of bed sheets. That way we only need to do laundry once a week or two for the bedsheets. :lol:

Perhaps you didn't know, but I am a walking "No Shame" zone. It's pretty unusual for me to feel embarrassed.

Razz

Don't worry same here, I think it's in my danish culture except sometimes I just take it too far :P

Søren

Thanks Slizzardsman, your comprehensive description is very appreciated :)

Joshua Naterman

Sweet! I just started my trap work, pull rehab work, and for fun did a 2 second full lay front lever. Just to see if I could. I feel better knowing that's starting to come back. From the pull up I just did I'm at least a month out from being able to safely do pull up work, but things are getting better. Good thing I can still do FL training lol!

Søren : You're welcome! :P

Joshua Naterman

Wednesday 28APR2010

7 sets FX adv frog, 20-25s per set, 60s rest. Getting easy! Another month and I'll be able to open my elbows even more! These are making my hands strong as well.

3x45s wall handstands stomach to wall, focus on opening shoulders. These are getting easy. I'm hoping in a month or two I'll be able to be doing 4-8 sets of wall handstands a day 4-5 days a week without negatively impacting the rest of my work.

4 sets BB Front Squat

5x135, 6x185, 4x205, 3x205.

4 sets PB L-sit, 15s. These were sort of spread around.

Superset XR L-sit and XR FL Adv Tuck

3 sets RTO XR L-sit (terrible leg angle lol! I suck at XR L-sit. Doesn't hurt anymore though! It actually feels good on my elbows.)

15s, 90s rest

7 sets 20s adv tuck FL, hips and knees at 90 degrees. 90s rest between FL sets, with the XR L-sit sets between FL sets.

4 sets stiff leg deadlift, double overhand, 4 reps, 365lbs.

I forgot to do XR bicep curls, I'll be doing those today.

A few hours later I went on a 40 minute run at a slightly faster pace, with one 50-60 meter hill sprint in the last third. Pretty good incline, 10-15 degrees at least. Again, no soreness. Kick ass, my body adapts fast. Chicken is done. More later.

Joshua Naterman

9 sets of Wall HeSPU

90s rest for first 2 sets, then 2 min, then straight to 4 minute rests, 5 min rests for last two sets. I wasn't very well rested... :lol:

6x5, 4, 4, 3

8 sets of adv frog, hands closer together. usually I do this in more of a shoulder and a half spacing, this time it was shoulder width. Different, to be sure. harder on the elbows.

That's it so far.I'll do FL before bed.

Seiji

You gotta tell me, what's the difference between a front squat and a back squat? Besides holding it in a different spot.

Joshua Naterman

Different nervous system stimulus, more middle and upper back work. It is much harder, and a nice change of pace. It's important to me to be strong in more than one position.

Joshua Naterman

7 sets 20s adv tuck FL, 90s rest. I appear to be 6 lbs heavier than I was a week ago. 1 set L-sit, 15s. I'll do L-sit tomorrow.

Joshua Naterman

I did 3 sets of infraspinatus work, and 3 sets of trap 3, not including warm up. I'll do frog stand and FL tonight.

My infraspinatus external rotation Poliquin-style is 25 lbs for 6 reps. That's 9% of 244 lbs. Poliquin says that you should be able to do at least 8 reps with 9% of your close grip flat bench 1RM. Assuming mine is 300 lbs, which I know is low-balling a bit, I should be able to do 8 reps with 27 lbs. That's a pretty big difference. It means my external rotators are about 15% weaker than they should be for a 300 lb bench. I'll be fixing that starting earlier today. From now on, 3x/week rotator and lower/mid trap strength are mandatory for the rest of my training career.

Joshua Naterman

8 sets adv frog, 20s and 75s rest.

6 sets adv tuck FL, 20s and 90s rests.

I didn't do much, and I'll be a bit light this week and next week probably due to finals. Nonetheless, a pretty good workout for being tired and poorly fed. Really easy, nowhere near as much volume as I would like.

Joshua Naterman

Wodin's Day, 05May2010

1 set of warm up for external rotators... 8 reps x 20 lbs per arm. I'll need to do more warm up in the future. I am sore lol!

3 sets with 25 lb dumbbell: 6,7,6 reps right arm, 7,8,8 reps left arm. Soreness interfered for sure.

4 sets of trap 3 dumbbell raises, 10 lbs. These are tough to do with the right muscles. The weight is light but I have a LOT of trouble activating my right lower trap.

8x adv frog, 20s, 60-70s rest per set.

5x PB L-sit, 15s. 1-2 min rest per set.

5 minutes total HS training:

5 sets of 30s wall runs, 2:15 rest between sets.

5 sets of 30s wall handstands with weight on shoulder girdle, 2:15 rest between sets.

1 set two handed trap rows, seated, cable machine. Just did these to work on feeling the lower traps. My right scapula doesn't move as freely as my left.

Razz
slizzardman said:
Wodin's Day, 05May2010

Nordic gods oh yeah 8)

Joshua Naterman

You know it! No one remembers the origin of the day names anymore. I think it's funny that it's not German, even though old english is around 70% german-based. Plus, Thor's day is so much cooler to me than Thursday.

Razz

Haha yeah Thor is badass :twisted: Sadly the British took odin and made him into wodin hence wodins day instead of odins day :P

Tarun Suri

I never knew that. This information is epic.

Joshua Naterman

Monday is the Moon's Day and associated with the Scandinavian god Mani

Tuesday is Tyr's Day(Norse god of war) and associated with fire

Wednesday is Odin's (Or Woden/Wodin's) Day

Thursday is Thor's Day and associated with lightning

Friday is Freya(Goddess of love) or Frigg(Odin's Wife)'s Day and associated with caring

Saturday is Surtr(king of the fire giants)'s Day

Sunday is Sol(Scandinavian sun goddess)'s Day and is associated with, you guessed it, the sun.

Longshanks
Razz said:
AHAHAHA it's gonna be expensive this ZMA.. new bed new covers new walls... ok ill stop :P butt pads man that cracked me up I can just imagine that

LOL. Yea I noticed a massive difference in quality of sleep when I started taking ZMA. I just buy the vitamins seperately from the supermarket and it works out a lot cheaper. It's only zinc, magnesium and B6. Just make sure you dont take it with milk because the calcium inhibits magnesium absorbsion.

Like the viking references! I used to get told I looked a lot like a viking. Especially when I used to have long hair and did a lot of ring fighting. Think I must a have had a great great great ..... grandma who was around when they were pilaging....

Joshua Naterman

It is not cheaper. What you are buying, if you check them, are probably the oxides or possibly citrate/gycinate. The absorption of oxide is nowhere near what it is with the chelates, and aspartic acid and monomethionine have specific function sin the body as well that enhance the effect from the minerals. When you buy the Chelates separately, and the B6, you will be paying more per dose than where I buy. Trust me, I did a lot of research into this. The aspartates and monomethionine chelates are key. 52 dolllars for 300 days is very good. The closest I could find with separate pills ended up being around 20 bucks for 90 days, and that was before shipping. It is very important to have actual chelates that are molecularly bonded, not just mixed with aspartic acid and monomethionine.

Obviously, any kind of zinc or magnesium supplementation will help, so I'm not suggesting that you aren't reaping some benefits, but I can guarantee you that if you use real ZMA you will feel a difference.

If you are able to find the true chelates of Zinc Monomethionine, Zinc Aspartate, Magnesium Aspartate, and get a 90 day supply for less than 20 dollars I would love to know where and how. I don't think you can.