Hello GB!

Started by danirdd92, October 3, 2012 · 5 Replies · 2,527 Views

danirdd92

Hello everyone!

My name's Dani, I'm 20 years old from Israel, soldier.

I've met a friend in a certain course, he was a gymnast before he inlisted to the army and I decided only months later to give it a shot.

I used to be a very active person, fitness was a great part of my life espacily bodyweight training.

But the army changed my lifestyle unfortunately, I'm not near what I was back than. I talked about it help my friend and he suggested me the book, he also showed me some skills I never managed to pull like one hand pull ups, doing a hand stand, holding a 12kg machine gun horizontally with a straight arm from the handle which is a really disadvantaged point to hold it physically (I never saw someone who could hold it like he did. Etc...

Needless to say, I was amazed and he told me that although it takes lots of time to achieve this level of skill (you don't say) it takes less than half an hour of practice per day which is awesome. I read the book, and the theoretic parts just blew my mind, it was never the way I used to look at these stuff.

So now I think it'stime to get up on that horse, but I'll need your help, couch, everybody.

I'm still very confused about how do I pull off that kind of training routine. I never been able to straighten my legs while keeping my back straight, whether it's strength I lack or flexibility. I can't do a handstand without a wall, I don't have rings so that option is also closed for me.

Whenever someone starts a routine he should have a goal in mind, mine is to be able to advance in all the exercises shown in the book, strengthen my tendons (how you do that by the way?), be able to do one arm pull ups, strengthen my core and lowerback (the most iimportant espect because you have to carry lots of weight for countless miles in the army and by now my back is always hurting) and shape my body to look like one of those from the Olympics,

I now empty my cup, so you could fill it again with improved knowledge, I'd treat myself as if Ijust started the first exercise routine in my life. What do I have to do and how?

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi Dani. Welcome to the forums. :)

Do you have the book yet?

Rik de Kort

Welcome to the forums. As for programming, Coach recommends the Killroy template for beginners:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1957

Patrick Smith said:

Do you have the book yet?

Did you even read the original post? O.o

Karri Kytömaa

For starters you want to get your prereqs. You get the best info by reading the whole thread but in short you want to achieve:

Plank hold

Reverse plank hold

Hollow hold

Arc hold

Dead hang, both supinated and pronated grip

German hang (AKA skin the cat)

PB support (you can work it on chairs or whatever)

You want to be able to hold each for a minute for 3 sets. It's probably best to start working on them with steady state cycle (SSC) so first time your max holds for each of them and then during your workouts you want to do sets of half that time. Depending on hold times I'd do something like 4-6 sets of each.

You can then work on some of the basic BW exercises, pushups, pullups, dips, leg raises, arch ups and whatever you can think of.

Add some mobility work and stretching and that's about how your workout should look for a while. Stay with the same time for each hold you did for 6-8 weeks. Then test your new max holds and repeat.

Train 2-4 times a week.

Then you can move on to the Killroy template which is essentially the same, but you will start working on holds like tucked front lever, tucked back lever, L-sit, handstand and planche leans.

That should put you on the right path. Just read through the forums and you will get huge amounts of more specific info than I have given here.

danirdd92
Flameous said:
For starters you want to get your prereqs. You get the best info by reading the whole thread but in short you want to achieve:

Plank hold

Reverse plank hold

Hollow hold

Arc hold

Dead hang, both supinated and pronated grip

German hang (AKA skin the cat)

PB support (you can work it on chairs or whatever)

You want to be able to hold each for a minute for 3 sets. It's probably best to start working on them with steady state cycle (SSC) so first time your max holds for each of them and then during your workouts you want to do sets of half that time. Depending on hold times I'd do something like 4-6 sets of each.

You can then work on some of the basic BW exercises, pushups, pullups, dips, leg raises, arch ups and whatever you can think of.

Add some mobility work and stretching and that's about how your workout should look for a while. Stay with the same time for each hold you did for 6-8 weeks. Then test your new max holds and repeat.

Train 2-4 times a week.

Then you can move on to the Killroy template which is essentially the same, but you will start working on holds like tucked front lever, tucked back lever, L-sit, handstand and planche leans.

That should put you on the right path. Just read through the forums and you will get huge amounts of more specific info than I have given here.

I was going back and forth so ill be sure I got the hang of everything. It's a completely new method. Never did static holds in my life except for plank.

I decided I'd give a shot for basic strength with sets of 5X5 because I'm used to rising my reps per workout on a 5 set with 60-90 seconds of rest. I think 30-60 would be fine now. I"ll go with 3 workouts per week and might consider the option of 4 because I really want to make it a habit back again. And repetition makes a habit.

Most of the exercises you mentioned I don't even know but I'll Google them thank you very much. Thank you all!

Quick Start Test Smith
Rik de Kort said:
Welcome to the forums. As for programming, Coach recommends the Killroy template for beginners:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... =18&t=1957

Patrick Smith said:

Do you have the book yet?

Did you even read the original post? O.o

Lol. I suppose my brain reflexively skipped the section where he said he read the book. Seems like most people who ask for help at first haven't even purchased/read the book so when I saw, "What do I have to do and how?" I thought this was another one.