Lack of shoulder strength in L-Sits: Help!

Started by froggy, October 1, 2012 · 6 Replies · 3,329 Views

froggy

Maybe this is ridiculous, but I have a funny problem when trying to do ANY variation of L-Sits.

I can do leg raises just fine from a pullup bar. I can even hold them for close to a minute. That's the L position, right?

Trying to do the same position from an L-sit makes me tip waaaay too far forward, even with knees bent as tightly as they go. Even the simplest knee L-sit is much more like a brutal shoulder exercise than an ab exercise if I don't want to tip all the way forward.

Would it be more productive to do something else to train my shoulders? What should I do about my shoulders? Thanks!

FREDERIC DUPONT

Probably PB holds will help, but someone with more experience will chime in I am sure. :)

Karri Kytömaa

I think working your form on reverse planks could also help a good bit. You need good shoulder triceps coordination to stabilize the counterweight of your legs in L or V, and even more so when working towards manna.

Really aim to to lift your hips and chest during reverse plank and you might get some nice triceps cramps going :wink:

froggy

I'll try both methods. I guess it takes a shoulder isometric to strengthen a shoulder isometric. Thanks!

Blairbob

Get stronger. PB support, straight arm plank and reverse plank, HS on the wall. Pushups and dips if you can.

froggy

Thank you Blairbob. I'm doing okay on dips but no complete HS training yet so that's a bit part missing too. The answer has to be more strength in everything.

Nic Branson

Finish your dip sets with a support hold.