Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Really excited for the new forum features!

Quick Start Test Smith

FREDERIC DUPONT
... As Fred said from China, age, injuries, weight, height, body type, time available, training focus have a lot to do with it and a label can't sum that all up ...

:?:

I don't remember saying that................... must be age...

It is time for my soup! :D

Larry Roseman
Future, Fred. You seem to be convinced that the labels have a certain connotation:
Why assume someone sucks

The fact that someone is a 'newbie' or doesn't have certain elements does not mean they suck. The GB program is not like that. It's very friendly towards newcomers.

The label will be an indicator of what strength elements you can perform. This correlates well with experience and amount of knowledge and thus can be used as a rough indicator of who to take advice from. However, there is room for exceptions. For example if there's a physical therapist with lots of experience rehabbing chronic shoulder injuries, he may not have a manna and a planche and whatnot, but he would have some very useful things to say on shoulder injuries.

What I'm trying to say is that you won't be judged by your label. If you have something useful to say, people will pick up on it.

It's not so much that newbie means anything bad, but being a newbie for a year or more does make one seem pathetic. I'm hoping that newbie would only apply until the basics of the FSP and FBE can be peformed for the desired time or reps.

However certain exercises provide an insurmountable roadblock to progressing, such as german hang. I have a history

of golf elbow and training GH aggrevates it. That flexibility isn't there and likely never will be there, especially in

middle age. So depending on where one has a sticking point, it can give an exaggerated poor impression.

That why to me a level does not need to absolute. If one has a level of STRENGTH that is manifested by being able to perform

elements at that particular level, it should be enough to get a strength ranking. We're talking about gymnastic strength and not skill. Granted, there could be several degrees at the same strength level, but when one can do a majority of the moves at that level, I feel acknowledgment is deserved. All moves are not neccessary to confer a strength ranking to me. The way it's outlined above we will always be described by our weakest ability and I don't feel that is fair or accurate at all.

And yes, I used to argue with my teachers about their grading of tests and reports. Quite often they came around :)

It's hypothetical at this point but looking forward to it helping us help ourselves...

Coach Sommer
.. And yes, I used to argue with my teachers about their grading of tests and reports. Quite often they came around ...

Good luck trying that with me. 8)

My committment and adherance to standards of excellence tends to be unwavering. Just ask any of my students over the last nearly 40 years or anyone who has attended a GB Seminar. To my mind, if someone is unhappy about where they are at in any area of life, then I recommend that they do something about it. Don't talk, don't explain - DO SOMETHING. And most of the time that "something" involves large doses of sweat, effort and discomfort.

One of the things that I have always liked best about GST is that it IS extremely hard, challenging and often times frustrating; as a tool I have found it invaluable in separating those who are merely daydreaming about success from those who are seriously committed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Think of it as a diagnostic tool, it will show a an unbiased an honest level of where you are are at. Nobody should be judging you based on said score. I do also like the opt-in or maybe a box to not display their level. Some may wish to participate but not put it out for people to see.

Larry Roseman

Coach I can't argue with your statement or your success with your athletes!

I absolutely agree with you in the value of work and perseverance.

In physical arts, i have an excellent reputation in the area but admit to still being at a beginner level in GST.

GST is difficult even when you are able devote all your training energies to it from an early age when your

body and mind are most mallable. My goal is to make it to the next level for sure. It is not my only or even primary training activity however. I am spending time working on it, and just want to feel encouraged and not discouraged.

This does seem like a "high level" program with the ultimate goal of becoming a high-level rings gymnast

I would not particpate unless I felt I would do my best and ultimately reflect well on myself and the "team".

Labels are indeed secondary and it is what we can do that matters. I am sure in the profile I can include more specfics if neccessary.

Anyway I have taken up enough bandwidth on the subject. Thank you for listening to and addressing these concerns in the manner you think is best. I would not expect nor ask for anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Will the new website also provide video tutorials since the DVD's are no longer available for purchase?

Will the new website also provide video tutorials since the DVD's are no longer available for purchase?

We will continue to upload new youtube videos, but the DVDs will be folded into the Second Edition. The last couple items on the new website are being wrapped up and I hope to announce a transition date within the week.