Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Method for Cooking Sweet potato?

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

Hello everybody!

The reason i open this topic is cause in Mexico is Sweet potato season!

I have bought some kilos of them , and i'm not very sure of how properly cooke them. I prettend to eat them for dinner, as i usually work out early int he morning.

Which cooking method might be the best option, in order to have a good glycemic load that could be bennefical?

Boiling? Baking? Steaming?

and what temperatures for each? how much time?

There's a lot of information in internet that i just don't know which might be the best for a "recreational" gymnast...

Thanks in advice and greetings!!

first of all if you are worrying about which way to cook them for health reasons you're overthinking it. That said an easy way is to put them in the oven for 20-40 mins (depending on size) at about 225 deg C. Take them out and it's real easy to peel off the skin..

Joshua Naterman

Easiest way I know is to cut then into 1cm thick slices and steam them. You will cook the whole potato much faster this way than anything besides the microwave and it is much healthier.

You can also stack them so that there's maximum surface area per slice, and you can cook 4-5 potatoes in the same pot in nearly the same time it takes to cook 1, which is about 10-15 minutes.

If you make the slices 1cm or slightly thinner it should be closer to 10 minutes I believe, but it's been a while since I did this.

This is how I cook purple sweet potatoes, it's the only reliable way I have found to not dry them out.

• 3 weeks later...
Easiest way I know is to cut then into 1cm thick slices and steam them. You will cook the whole potato much faster this way than anything besides the microwave and it is much healthier.

You can also stack them so that there's maximum surface area per slice, and you can cook 4-5 potatoes in the same pot in nearly the same time it takes to cook 1, which is about 10-15 minutes.

If you make the slices 1cm or slightly thinner it should be closer to 10 minutes I believe, but it's been a while since I did this.

This is how I cook purple sweet potatoes, it's the only reliable way I have found to not dry them out.

Excellent advice my friend =)

i've been doing that an is a great and fast way to do them =)

Thank you!

Oh wow. Sweet potato is so versatile, it depends how you want to eat it! Here are some ideas

1. steam, then mash with some roast garlic and milk

2. dice, parboil in the microwave then oven roast in hot olive oil, I always do this to add to my vegetarian Chilli, doesn't go as crispy as a regular spud, but the outside caramelizes nicely.

3. Pumpkin soup! I always add a sweet potato to my pumpkin soup. Dice 1/2 a pumpkin, 1 carrot and 1 whole sweet potato, heat up some oil in a pan and fry up some ginger, ground cumin and coriander seed, fry the pumpkin and sweet potato until the outside just begins to brown. Add water and a dash of soy sauce, bring to boil and let simmer til soft. take off the heat and then blend with a stick blender, add a generous amount of black pepper and a dash of cream if you want it. Garnish with a sprig of fresh coriander leaf.

4. probably one of the easiest, and one of my favourites, get 1 peeled raw sweet potato, use your vegetable peeler to "peel" the raw spud into thin ribbons, lay them on a tray, spray on a bit of olive oil and oven bake into chips! eat as is, or with hommus.

Yum! Cut them in slices or french fries, then deep fry them till very crispy. Remove and cover with melted cheddar cheese and bacon. Fantastic.

lately i've been experimenting with them...

for salty or spicy meals, i like to add some ricotta, lemon juice and salt to them..

for "sweet" meals, i add one or two tablespoons of unflavored yogurth, a cup of milk, some cinammon, and vainilla

they both taste delicious

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.