Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody tried this method diet?

Cu Fang

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

I've heard little information about carb-back-loading, but i haven't search exactyl how it works, i will read it and then give my opinion.

The only thing that i remember is that certatin times you can have tons of carbs and them will have a very positive effect on your body ....

Joshua Naterman

All this is is eating the carbs after your workout, when you really need them. I've been saying this forever. They are trying to make this into a magical thing and it's not.

All this stuff means is "eat what you burn." This is not the same all the time, it is very activity dependent.

Don't be an idiot and eat a bunch of garbage, and DONT BE AN IDIOT AND DO ZERO CARDIO. You need to keep your heart healthy.

Didn't spend the $89 or whatever to buy the book of course. But it seems to be a kind of glycogen depletion routine.

You eat very low carb during the day, which is when you are active and exercising. So you are going to be working out

in a semi-depleted state which isn't ideal from a strength development viewpoint. But there could be some metabolic advantages... as when carbs are low the body will tend to burn more fat (and more body protein too). But later evening, when you eat the carbs, they'll go to replenish glycogen largely and not add to fat. so If you get tired and sluggish, you won't notice because you'll be alseep :)

I suppose if you are highly senstive to carbs and overweight it might be an approach to try. It seems less drastic then a

totally low-carb approach. The traditional depletion diet is much harder as well. One page I found referred to a 10 day

low carb initiation period before starting this cycling though. To me, it's good to add at least some carbs around the workout regardless, and not wait until late evening. They won't go to fat then either, and assist with the workout and recovery.

Joshua Naterman

For one thing, none of those pictures are particularly impressive in my opinion. Many could have been taken on the same day, given the lighting. Not saying they were, just saying that for claiming to be so awesome the results are very middle of the road (not a bad thing) and is essentially taking one aspect of sound nutrition and cult-ifying it. I can't stand that.

Much better layout than typical sales pages, though.

The body burns lots of fat at rest regardless. You don't need tons of carbs at rest, you need them in fairly large quantities right before a tough workout and for several hours (preferably 5-6) afterwards. And that just applies to aesthetic and short-duration strength athletes like gymnasts. You'll never be 100% full of glycogen, but that isn't always important. You just don't want to be in a situation where your body is more interested in making sugar out of protein than muscle out of protein.

If you are a true endurance athlete, this is completely inappropriate as you need 5-7 g carbs per kg bw for optimal performance. For events where the best finish in just over 2 hours, like marathons and the longer bike races, you may need 8-10g of carbs per kg BW per day for optimal performance. I just can't eat that much.

It's more of a body building diet and not an athetic diet to me, which I can't stand.

Yeah 8-10g/kg is huge. If you're riding a couple hundred km a day you appreciate it though!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.