Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Official - Change to EU GB Seminar!

Cole Dano

For everyone attending the seminar in Finland, we are very seriously looking at moving it from the remotely located National Training Center to Helsinki.

This should mean a considerable reduction in travel costs etc.

If this affects anyone negatively please let me know so we can work out a solution if need be.

If you are in favor of the change, also please chime in.

If you want to be in Southern Italy......

UPDATE -

The change is now official.

Venue

Helsingin Taitoliikuntakeskus

Telakkakatu 8

00150 Helsinki

http://www.taitoliikuntakeskus.fi/?q=node/15

Schedule

Fri Nov 16

14.00-17.00

Sat Nov 17

07.00-11.00

17.00-20.00

Sun Nov 18

12.30-17.00

Recommended Accommodation

I'm going to recommend this hotel as it has reasonable prices, is within walking distance to the facility (10-15 min) and is right in the city center with easy access to anything you might need while in Helsinki. Rooms should also have a kitchenette.

OMENA HOTEL LÖNNROTINKATU

http://www.omenahotels.com/our-hotels/f ... rotinkatu/

Rooms will accommodate up to four people for those interested in sharing a room.

With the schedule starting early on Saturday and being tight on Sunday, we will provide breakfast on Saturday and a light lunch on Sunday at a reasonable cost.

I welcome your comments and ideas on how to make this as comfortable and enjoyable as possible!

Hi,

I'm one of those who has booked a place at the seminar. Helsinki is better for me.

If things are changed from Finland, Ill be travelling from the South of Spain and the closer to there the better!

By when do you think we'll know for sure where it is taking place?

Cheers

IRT

Everyone seems to be in favor of the move so far.

There are some details that still need to be worked out, but Coach or I will post here the moment we have settled everything. Hopefully within a few days.

Joshua Naterman

Helsinki is beautiful and has great food! I won't be there, so I can't say this should count for anything but I just had to say that!

David Picó García

For sure Helsinki would be easier for us because of time spent traveling and easier to arrive, if its possible to find a good facilty.

Karri Kytömaa

I must look into it closer, but I might be able to provide free/close to free accommodation for 4 at my parents' at Karjaa. It's about 1 hour drive from Helsinki, which I will driving anyway. Atm the biggest Q is if I manage to get the money to take part in the first place :roll:

But let me know if there are any1 interested.

• 2 weeks later...
David Picó García

Hi Cole, are there new news about hotels? It would be nice if everybody could be at the same hotel or at close ones like at Mallorca's seminar. Thank you!!!

Alessandro Mainente

also i'm waiting for it...to buy all the things in one time

Hi guys -

I'm going to recommend this hotel as it has reasonable prices, is within walking distance to the facility (10-15 min) and is right in the city center with easy access to anything you might need while in Helsinki. Rooms should also have a kitchenette.

OMENA HOTEL LÖNNROTINKATU

http://www.omenahotels.com/our-hotels/f ... rotinkatu/

With the schedule starting early on Saturday and being tight on Sunday, we will provide breakfast on Saturday and a light lunch on Sunday at a reasonable cost.

Rooms will accommodate up to four people for those interested in sharing a room.

Note - this information has also been added to the OP for easy reference.

Alessandro Mainente

hi Cole, i've seen that under the menù of quick booking that you can select 3 helsinki hotel, what is the nearest to the facility?

• 1 month later...
Christian Sørlie

Hi, just wondering what the plan is for friday? Do we meet at the training facility?

Me and Mats are landing around 11 ish tomorrow, so we might have to go straight there.

Looking forwards to tomorrow and the weekend!! :-)

If you are arriving at 11:00 tomorrow then you should have no problem to go to the gymnasium.

There are busses running from the Airport to the Central Railway station - apx 35 minutes plus waiting for the bus. Cost: 6.20€

From the central station take Tram 6 to Hietalahden Tori then it's a few blocks walk to the facility.

or by taxi - no wait Cost: 35€-40€ (but maybe worth it if you are in a hurry, and there are two-four of you in a group)

Facility is hard to spot and has two entrances. I will try to arrange the front entrance to be open.

Here is a Google street view facing towards the front entrance.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=60.159242,24.932554&spn=0.001425,0.004737&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=60.159342,24.932464&panoid=zJstgc3co6CqyQ7lHNA6Uw&cbp=13,269.69,,0,5.84

There are some big green signs out front now that read Taitoliikuntakeskus

If you are early it should be ok to store your gear there and go out for a bit, you can also take advantage of the facility. I believe it's 4€ for people attending the seminar. There are trampolines, an air track, sprung floor and gymnastic apparatus to use.

Before the seminar on Friday is your best bet, as during evenings and weekends many sections are rented out to clubs.

About the host hotel -

If you are staying at the Omena Hotel Lönnrotenkatu the check in time only begins at 16.00 so you won't be able to get in until after the first session on Friday. (I wasn't aware of this when recommending the hotel, my apologies!)

You should have a received a door code when you made your reservation, make sure to have that with you.

About Food etc. -

Friday: we have no special plans. There are all kinds of restaurants in the centre, if there is anything special you're looking for let me know.

Saturday: Is an early 07.00 start, we will have coffee and some fruit, boiled eggs and other simple things available and should open the doors by 06.15-06.30. No place in Helsinki will have food that early. YOur rooms should also have Kitchenettes.

After the first session at 11.30 we have a group reservation at a local Turkish restaurant that serves authentic and filling food.

We come back at 17.00-20.00 and after that no special plans. I'm going to want to collapse on my sofa! But we have a late start on Sunday so you youngsters can get out a bit if you like and see the night life, just keep in mind Sunday is four and a half hours straight.

Sunday: Since there is no break there will be some sandwiches, protein bars, drinks etc available at the facility. I'm sure there will be time be get something in during the seminar.

Since many will be leaving right after the seminar there are no special plans.