Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope to Climb

Mark Weaver

Coach just recently suggested climbing the rope as one of the best exercises for grip strength.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a homemade setup, such as how to secure it, where to buy the actual rope, size of the rope, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I was just wondering one of the same things!!! I workout in a gym and need a set up I can hang from a hanging bar. I am about to resort to getting a standard rope and just tie it... :x

Does anyone have any ideas?

:|

After reading your posts, and randomly finding my Ross Enamait books today, I thought I would scan one of the images from the front of Never Gymless with his setup for Rope Pull Ups! So, here is one way of doing it :) Hope this helps!

ropepullupser7.png

I believe rope can easily be bought at most large DIY stores, or you could even go to a boat/yacht store, I know they always have rope!!

Peace and Love,

Mike

Thanks for the post. That picture made me laugh pretty hard. It looks so goofy. I dare not criticize though; he is probably a whole lot fitter than I am. I think I will head on over to a DIY store if I have time next weekend (school saps time not that I mind too much! :x )

Kind Regards,

Pro

It may look goofy, but it ain't easy, I can bet on that! :P Here is a video of him doing it btw, it's about 1:20 in I think, only lasts a few seconds, but this guy imo is a massive inspiration, he works out HARD and trains some amazing boxers in the world too! Check out his other videos, I've always found them to be quite impressive and interesting to watch, and his books, articles and teachings are very very good! ^^

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=57pv_1j4d ... re=related

Mike

Thanks for the answers. I started googling and found several places online for cheap rope, but most places suggested a boating store, or a rigging store.

One thing we also used in college when rope isn't available would be to take a towel and wrap it over the pullup bar and then pull yourself up on that like the gentleman does in the post above. To make it more permanent, tape the ends of the towel with athletic tape.

Guest Ido Portal

I hold the opinion that rope/towel chinups are good exercises, but they cannot replace the locomotion pattern of rope climb.

I think climbing a rope is a very good insurance policy for your shoulder girdle and scapula health. Introduced correctly into one's regime it will produce far greater results than just better grip.

A lot of people get injured by rope climbing, though, because they are not prepared for this organic, chaotic and varied pattern of locomotion, and under extreme tension. Tendonitis of the elbow, medially or laterally, shoulder problems or serratus pulls are all common signs of not properly introducing this must have exercise into one's training regime.

I have just recently designed and had put up a multi rope station hanging from the roof of my studio (and home) down - 6 meters into the grass. With this setup I can install up to 6 ropes and I plan to bring my students, over a 6 month period, to the ability to travel 60 meters in one set of rope climb. (5 up&down climbs without touching the ground)

Thanks everyone first of all.

Secondly, I appreciate your input Ido, I was looking forward to someones input on the specifics of rope 'climbing' since I knew it had better benefits than a good towel chin. Any chance of a picture of your set-up? I will check your blog in case though. Thanks again everyone.

Pro