Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replacement for low grade meat?

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Hello,

I have plenty of whey protein powder and a good supply of low grade red meat. Is it worth the extra protein to eat the low grade meat despite all of its unhealthy side effects? What are my alternatives?

Are there decent nuts that would help replace most of my meat consumption until I can afford to buy some that's decent?

Meat > nuts and/or beans and rice, quinoa, etc. Nuts have phytic acid.

Low grade as in factory farmed? Or are we talking fit for animal consumption for cat and dog food?

Cheese might be one.

Quick Start Test Smith

I mean buying meat that is not from grass fed animals. Standard livestock conditions, I guess, probably growth hormone injections and grain fed. At this point, I'm just going to increase the consumption of chicken eggs and whey, although ideally I wouldn't have to take whey all that much...

It's not the end of the world. Yeah, it's not as good in the long run. But it does beat starving.

Seriously the best quality meat you can get is only a hunt away. You just need to have a vehicle and few buddies to help you lug it back.

And a big freezer. And a good butcher knife though you can get one of those mobile butchers and that is fairly inexpensive as well.

Joshua Naterman

I'm just going to say that you are worrying about a detail that is honestly almost certainly not worth being on the first page of your list.

The meat is fine, but you can always eat more chicken if you are worried about the red meat. There isn't a huge difference, both offer high quality protein.

Quick Start Test Smith

Ugh, chicken. I have seen fast food nation. Aren't chickens some of the worst treated animals?

Most of the time, I have a choice between hamburger meat, ham, and hot dogs (turkey I think, with no nitrates or nitrites). I really don't like hamburger meat, so I've been eating a lot of ham but I think I'll switch mostly to the hot dogs and take fish oil before or after the meal.

I may seem picky, but I've been going through a lot of health stuff lately (symptoms of adrenal fatigue, asthma, skin conditions) and getting rid of all that stuff has become my main priority.

Thanks!

ehh. Well, yes they are. It's horrible but well, get over it or eat meat sparingly and go vegetarian. Maybe think about going lacto-ovo vegetarian or pescetarian.

Perhaps, I'm just a cruel a-hole but they still taste good. Pigs are slightly interesting animals but they don't interest me as much as dogs or horses. I mean, seriously what do cows and chickens really do. Can they protect the farm and provide transportation? It's unfortunate but it's a fact of life.

I love me some hamburger. Cook a heap of it and throw it on a salad.

At some point you will to balance it all out. Ethical concern, your health, and your pocketbook. For right now, I'm happy when I have something and not so happy when I don't.

I like hot dogs enough but they also have a lot of sodium.

Really don't over think it. We do what we can when we can. I know I need more vegetables I also know Asparagus for instance is $5 a pound here, two servings of spinach cost $3-4. When I can find any that are edible. If I want a potato right now...LOL not happening as they are very questionable. It's where I live.

In your case, your budget dictates what you look at it. The difference are not so bad that you should make a big issue out of it. We all do in our minds at some point with these things. Just relax and do what you can.

Quick Start Test Smith

True, true. Good points.

Blair, I'm not worried about the sodium from the hot dogs. I live in the South, remember? I'll drink over 120+ fl oz just to stay at the same weight as before the workout! :lol:

To note for broke single guys. Hot dogs and eggs are an awesome combo, especially over Ramen. Hot dogs also tend to be cheaper than bacon or ham.

Larry Roseman
True, true. Good points.

Blair, I'm not worried about the sodium from the hot dogs. I live in the South, remember? I'll drink over 120+ fl oz just to stay at the same weight as before the workout! :lol:

Heck you could get your hands on fresh alligator or crocodile then!

Quick Start Test Smith
True, true. Good points.

Heck you could get your hands on fresh alligator or crocodile then!

They're for wrestling, not eating! :mrgreen:

To note for broke single guys. Hot dogs and eggs are an awesome combo, especially over Ramen. Hot dogs also tend to be cheaper than bacon or ham.

Also organ meats tend to be super cheap in the UK, I assume its the same in the USA

Probably though I've heard it's not a good idea to eat any of the filter organs if they are not grass-fed/organic/full of meds.

Beef heart can taste a lot better than some other organs. I'll pass on intestine, stomach, kidneys, and liver or anything else like that. It does need to be marinated though to soften it up.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.