Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KStarrett's book is here! (sort of)

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Most of us are familiar with the MobilityWOD website run by Dr. Kelly Starrett. His book is finally here and should be released sometime in January!

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/the- ... opard.html

I wondered, before starting this thread, if posting this would be against the rules. I decided that it wouldn't (and shouldn't be) since we have been recommending and directing members here to the mobilityWOD website for as long as we've known about it. Can't be a problem with letting people know that it just got better, can there? :)

Gotta go, tornado watch/warning going on...

Quick Start Test Smith

I can't either, Razz!

There are so many good books on the works! 2nd Edition of BtGB, Josh's book (although it's probably going to be long wait), the MWOD book, it's really exciting. :mrgreen:

I wondered, before starting this thread, if posting this would be against the rules. I decided that it wouldn't (and shouldn't be) since we have been recommending and directing members here to the mobilityWOD website for as long as we've known about it. Can't be a problem with letting people know that it just got better, can there? :)

I want to clear up this misconception about posting rules. It is not against the rules to link to other quality resources and books (admittedly I haven't looked much into mobilitywod, but I have seen nothing to object to). The issue is unproductive discussions about the latest diatribe or blog/book by internet vikings: people who are busy writing and theorizing online, copy-catting others, or bashing systems; and not out spending their days training high-level athletes. It's also one thing to work with a high level athlete for a short period--it's quite another to develop them. Too many internet vikings claim they trained athlete XYZ when their effect was at most a drop in the whole training bucket or the athlete's career. /rantoff As long as you link to quality resources with something meaningful to add to your training, you will not be edited or deleted.

It's also confusing for beginners to have to sift through a ton of information and have to decide which is sound or not. The forums are dense now, but this will be improved with the release of the 2nd Edition; as well as many new resources and training aides. You can also expect opportunities for special forum recognition and competition. When everything is released, it will be a whole new Gymnastic Bodies, and the about only way to fail in your training will be not to try.

Quick Start Test Smith

Thank you, Cory. I appreciate the clarification.

The new GB sounds really exciting!

It's also confusing for beginners to have to sift through a ton of information and have to decide which is sound or not. The forums are dense now, but this will be improved with the release of the 2nd Edition; as well as many new resources and training aides. You can also expect opportunities for special forum recognition and competition. When everything is released, it will be a whole new Gymnastic Bodies, and the about only way to fail in your training will be not to try.

Any word on a release date? Will it be released in this year?

Any word on a release date? Will it be released in this year?

Yes, definetly this year for the new edition and all the forthcoming products to accompany it. :)

...end of year is going to be very expensive. Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3 (games), Yuri's book, Coach's book...

Quick Start Test Smith
...end of year is going to be very expensive. Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3 (games), Yuri's book, Coach's book...

Hahaha! I don't know about Assassin's Creed 3, but definitely Dishonored. That game looks great. I'm also looking forward to StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm expansion. I wonder if there are any StarCraft players here...

Gerald Mangona
The new GB is going to be awesome.

The old GB is awesome.

The forum is awesome.

I'm a true beginner, and once I figured out what's good "pacing" for my body to stay injury-free, it's been amazing....I've made very slow but steady, sustainable gains. So this new edition has me very excited!

Of course, you don't address the one question that I know is on everyone's mind....

Hope to see you all at a seminar in 2013. - J

Joshua Naterman

Agreed.

I will be laughing on the inside and outside at the Mwod book title though... Become a Supple Leopard... That's all they got? Supple Leopard?! :facepalm:

This will definitely be one of those books where you should not judge it by its cover (or what is written on the cover hahaha)! :)

I will be laughing on the inside and outside at the Mwod book title though... Become a Supple Leopard... That's all they got? Supple Leopard?! :facepalm:

It fits perfectly with the MWOD style, how readers are addressed. Like champagne friday.

Hahaha! I don't know about Assassin's Creed 3, but definitely Dishonored. That game looks great. I'm also looking forward to StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm expansion. I wonder if there are any StarCraft players here...

Definitely not a fan of SC, but each to their own. ;)

Quick Start Test Smith

Definitely not a fan of SC, but each to their own. ;)

Ah, too bad :)

OMG back in 1998 my Terran rush was 100% Pure Dominance, brothers.

Lol! A fellow BroodWar veteren! Back before StarCraft was cool over here in the West. Do you still keep up with the community?

Joshua Naterman

Love the SC/BW! Was never great at it though, but who cares?! Fun stuff :)

Borderlands 2 should be great, loved the first!

Rik: You might be right, I'm an outsider in that sense. Not really sure how anything is referred to in the MWOD community.

Gerald Mangona

Btw, will the new book deal with ROM issues, such as weakness in scapula retraction? Or opening up the shoulders correctly? I've been doing partial ROM pull-ups focusing on the scapula retraction and depression necessary to get chest to bar. I noticed that when I do them this way, I'm much more conscious about scapula movement. But I also can't do nearly as much volume :)

Same with progressions get russian dip ROM, etc. Just wondering...can't wait!

Btw, will the new book deal with ROM issues, such as weakness in scapula retraction? Or opening up the shoulders correctly? I've been doing partial ROM pull-ups focusing on the scapula retraction and depression necessary to get chest to bar. I noticed that when I do them this way, I'm much more conscious about scapula movement. But I also can't do nearly as much volume :)

Same with progressions get russian dip ROM, etc. Just wondering...can't wait!

All the necessary mobility for 2nd Edition exercises will be included. There will be some additional resources as well for those who are extra tight or weak.

FREDERIC DUPONT

The old GB is awesome.

The forum is awesome.

You could not have said it better :)

As usual I'm not going to make a lot of friends here, but take Starrett with a grain of salt and don't overdo it.

On the game front - I'm still waiting to get Mass Effect III, there's always a class, book or gear that seems to take priority...

As usual I'm not going to make a lot of friends here, but take Starrett with a grain of salt and don't overdo it.

Not trying to be hostile, but why?

On the game front - I'm still waiting to get Mass Effect III, there's always a class, book or gear that seems to take priority...

No enemy here. I pick and choose from his work myself. Prolly won't get his book.

Quick Start Test Smith

No enemy here. I pick and choose from his work myself. Prolly won't get his book.

I could be wrong, but I think everyone picks and chooses what they like/think they need from all the available material. I'll get the book even if I don't intend to use all of it religiously. I'll get it because his other stuff has helped me a lot and since it's quite inexpensive for it's size ($30-40). Also because mobility and joint health is always a huge concern for me.