Hey gymnasticsbodies community!
I am starting out with this stuff just now and wanted to get some pointers from you. First something about myself:
I am 25 years old, 1.75m high and weigh ~64 Kilos. Until the beginning of the year I was regularly going to the gym for two years and built up to a weight of 70 Kilos. I lost it all again in just 3 months because I had a rough time during which I stopped training and ate very very little. I have no prior experience in gymnastics.
I recently moved and was looking into ways to improve my upper body strength and especially my core strength without going to the gym and stumbled across an interview with Coach Summer on a bodybuilding website. I spent two days reading a lot on this website and some others as well. So Monday I started my first gymnastic workout. I just want to know if I am doing it right..
My workout is as follows:
Static (I do as many sets of half of my max until I reach a total of 60 secs):
- Front Lever (tuck, 20 sec max)
- Back Lever (tuck, 20 sec max)
- Planche (tuck, 12 sec max)
- Handstand (at wall, 20 sec max)
- L-Sit (14 sec max)
after that 3 sets of Pull Ups (about 3 * 5, when I did the static workout before) and 3 sets of Push Ups (about 3 * 12, either flat or inclined)
Apart from Handstand I do everything on my fists since I have a strong pain in my right wrist (I am a computer scientist and did bench press with a very bad technique for the first months, should see a doctor..). In the Back Lever I am sometimes not completely locked into place and I think in my tuck Planche my lower body is not high enough and far enough back, but I guess this will change with practice since I am just lacking the strength necessary?
Also I am surfing everyday for 1-3 hours, so I have a lot of additional load on my shoulders and upper back.. I plan to do this workout 3-4 times a week. I get a lot more enjoyment from this than I got from going to the gym so I want to do it right. Please tell me what I am doing wrong or misunderstanding.. Also, should I add planks to the workout or am I doing enough for my core?
Thanks for reading ![]()