I just learned how to do backflips, and in my exuberance I did a few too many... now my back and abs are painful and crampy, and I wonder if anyone has good warm-up/development tips? I am aware of but not skilled enough to do limbers, I'm barely able to do wall-walks... any help is greatly appreciated!
Lumbar-spine preparation
Started by Arch, November 16, 2008 · 3 Replies · 2,611 Views
Backflips will make your lower back and abs sore for awhile, period. Especially when you're not used to them.
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350
Thanks Blairbob, the videolink was very helpful on the thread you posted (you were so close to getting the dbl-leg kickover several times!) I think I'm going to spend more time doing the progressions, and less time doing the actual skills so I don't get injured... I don't know if you've seen Coach Sommer's new book yet, but I'm hoping it will have many similar progressions to help me build more gymnastic-specific strength/flexibility/coordination (I ordered and am waiting anxiously!) Thanks again for your help,
DS
Yep, I as well am awaiting my book. When Coach comes out with his book on physical preparation/prevention/flexibility I will totally be there.
What kind of warmup tips are you looking for? For your abs and back now that they are sore? I would simply hang from a bar and swing back and forth through your hips (piking) a bit. You could also lay on the ground and do some leg lift to candlestick ( inverted body lever )