Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dairy-free protein powders

Robert Rowland

Robert Rowland

Can someone with experience please direct me toward a protein powder product that is both dairy and gluten free?

Thank you :)

Joshua Naterman

You're going to be looking for buckwheat protein and soy protein. Of course there's also beef protein isolate, which is good as well... and expensive, but probably better. You may have trouble finding certified gluten free.

WitnessTheFitness

Soy, hemp, spirulina, rice, or pea protein powders are all good options. Gotta experiment to find which one works best for you. Personally, I'd go with soy and hemp since both are fantastic protein sources, inexpensive, and to me have the best taste. Hemp protein powders have the added benefit of lots of fiber and essential fatty acids. Spirulina and rice protein powders work well for some people, but personally their taste makes me gag.

These vegan bar athletes use a combination of spirulina and hemp protein powder, and it seems to work well for them.

lXvAw96eDCQ

WitnessTheFitness

Gives good ideas for anyone who is bored of normal muscle ups and wants some innovative variations :D

Forgot to mention, I've heard really good things about Living Fuel's protein powder, which is a combination of brown rice and pea protein. http://www.livingfuel.com/LivingFuel_Products.aspx The current welterweight boxing champion of the world, Timothy Bradley, uses it to supplement his vegan diet.

Timothy+Bradley+Manny+Pacquiao+v+Timothy+Bradley+z9oQuYOR4M7l.jpg

Every time I see a picture of that guy I want to give the brand a shot, haha. But I heard in an interview that he gets the majority of his protein from quinoa, beans, lentils, seeds, nuts, green vegetables, and doesn't supplement that often or worry about protein consumption. That's a pretty important note, since seems like exercise enthusiasts worry way too much about getting enough protein and often just over-consume it. As long as we eat a healthy diet we'll get all the protein we need :)

Rafael David
Soy, hemp, spirulina, rice, or pea protein powders are all good options. Gotta experiment to find which one works best for you. Personally, I'd go with soy and hemp since both are fantastic protein sources, inexpensive, and to me have the best taste. Hemp protein powders have the added benefit of lots of fiber and essential fatty acids. Spirulina and rice protein powders work well for some people, but personally their taste makes me gag.

These vegan bar athletes use a combination of spirulina and hemp protein powder, and it seems to work well for them.

lXvAw96eDCQ

:facepalm:

Nothing impressive about these "athletes". Show me them doing some OAC, OAHS, straddle planches, full front levers, double bw squats (atg), etc :roll:

WitnessTheFitness

These guys are clearly not gymnasts or acrobats, and since their videos have no straight arm skills except human flags I doubt they even train those moves. Doesn't mean that they aren't strong or that their bar moves are any less entertaining :) In terms of achievement there's obviously no comparison between elite gymnasts whipping out inverse crosses, malteses, and ring planches versus guys who just do bar tricks for fun, but I'm not comparing the two so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Rafael David
These guys are clearly not gymnasts or acrobats

I also am not, but I can do these things. Oh, and I do not use ANY supplement. Read: I eat meat. The guy not even said that he was vegan and you posted this video. The next time put a better video. A video of Yuri, Ido Portal, Steve Atlas, etc..

since their videos have no straight arm skills except human flags

horrible form...

WitnessTheFitness

I posted the video since that was the only video of bodyweight moves done by people who use dairy-free, gluten-free protein powders that I could think of off the top of my head. If you know of any actual gymnasts or handbalancers that use those protein supplements then definitely post some videos. Of course there are dozens of infinitely more impressive videos out there done by professionals who have devoted their lives to gymnastics/acrobatics, but the videos of amateur fitness enthusiasts have their worth too.

Personally, when I started bodyweight training I found videos of enthusiasts incredibly motivating since it presented realistic goals. Watching Cirque du Soleil performers or elite gymnasts was certainly awe-inspiring, but watching one arm handstands on top of people's heads gave me more sheer admiration rather than any semblance of "Hey, I can do that!" Whereas when watching things like one arm pullups, or clapping dips, it's easier to get that "I can do that too!" inspiration. Those guys in that video aren't anywhere near the league of professional athletes, and badass enthusiasts like Ashita on this forum are definitely stronger and more impressive, but I still consider people like that strong and find their videos entertaining :)

Doesn't matter if I think I can do moves they can't, or moves with better form. YouTube videos aren't a competition; it's all about sharing our achievements, and who cares if others can do more impressive things?

Beef protein isolate comes to mind but it's mondo expensive as most isolates are. Casein isolate/hydrosalate comes to mind.

Hemp is ok, but it's amino acid profile is poor. Brown Rice protein has a pretty good AA profile while Pea's is so-so. I've heard can taste pretty bleh, but I'm ok with it tasting like chalk if need be. That's what flavoring is for. Get it down as quick as you can I tell the kids, preferably before you taste it.

http://www.wellwisdom.com/whey-protein-vs-pea-protein/

I've posted before the AA profiles for the others in Josh's nutrition thread. Hemp's was poor as I said before but it has lots of fiber. Soy's was ok. Whey and Casein generally do not have as much Arginine as the veggie proteins.

Some pea protein AA profile seems to vary by manufacturer. No idea.

If you are only going to use a protein powder about once a day, then price doesn't matter so much.

If you are taking whey or any other a lot during the day to supplement, then consider price in mind. I can't remember off hand but soy is generally cheap. I don't recall the other vegetarian proteins being inexpensive though.

WitnessTheFitness

Soy isolate has the highest Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score of any vegetable protein, and is right up there with whey at the top of the rankings, and is so cheap and easy to find that it's probably best to just go with soy unless there's any soy allergies.

Chickpeas might be another good option, since they have a great PDCAAS score. Never heard of a chickpea protein powder, but chickpea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour, gram flour, besan) is very high in protein and easy to mix in drinks. Chickpeas are also very high in fiber.

I'd imagine so. Fairly inexpensive as well. Forgot to mention it during my post apparently.

Flavor it or look for a good flavor. It tends to have a chalky taste. Definitely gulp it down before you taste it otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Did find some chocolate flavored Brown Rice protein yesterday. I might go check it out again today if I'm in the area to compare it's AA profile numbers to say a whey concentrate. Seemed a bit on the low end and 11g of carbs per serving. Not an issue for most but I was looking for whey that is way low carb as I'm still trying to lean out more.

Joshua Naterman
Did find some chocolate flavored Brown Rice protein yesterday. I might go check it out again today if I'm in the area to compare it's AA profile numbers to say a whey concentrate. Seemed a bit on the low end and 11g of carbs per serving. Not an issue for most but I was looking for whey that is way low carb as I'm still trying to lean out more.

That doesn't make sense. The carb profile of the whey, or any other protein, will not affect your ability to lean out.

Parth Rajguru

Egg protein and BCAA's are better choices than most other non-whey powders. There are also Essential Amino Acid blends that are available. Price will differ, as will Amino Acid profiles, so make sure you do your homework before picking a product.

If you are truly intolerant of whey and dairy proteins, then it is wise to stay away from whey protein. But, if you're interested in Paleolithic eating, whey is quite acceptable. Many advocates of paleo recommend whey, such as Ido Portal, Steve Atlas, Scotty Hagnas, Robb Wolf, etc., especially when performance is the goal.

Josh, right now I've been embarking on mainly focusing on just leaning out for the moment. I found it's much easier to do a quick cut and lean out than fight to train hard and lean out at the same time. It worked out early on when I had much more weight to lose. In any case, I really haven't been training that hard since May because of time conflicts when I started coaching at the gym to actually finding a gym to train at ( I ended up just training at the gym for ease of schedule and commute, now I just do some stuff at home and the nearby community park that has a structure I can hang from besides chair dips and L. A local CF box is probably going to let me train in trade.

It's merely a number crunching game.

5-6 servings of protein shakes @ 11g of carbs vs 2-7g of carbs. It's not fun but a meet is coming up and I'm trying to hit the next weight class .

I was looking at some Casein yesterday but it's even more expensive than whey. Didn't remember to look for Egg. Looking for a slow protein during sleep but I'll guess I'll just make some eggs or meat before sleep. Seems cheaper.

Robert Rowland
Egg protein and BCAA's are better choices than most other non-whey powders. There are also Essential Amino Acid blends that are available. Price will differ, as will Amino Acid profiles, so make sure you do your homework before picking a product.

If you are truly intolerant of whey and dairy proteins, then it is wise to stay away from whey protein. But, if you're interested in Paleolithic eating, whey is quite acceptable. Many advocates of paleo recommend whey, such as Ido Portal, Steve Atlas, Scotty Hagnas, Robb Wolf, etc., especially when performance is the goal.

I am unsure if I am dairy, gluten, or legume intolerant. I will be getting a food allergen evaluation soon.

The reason for the OP is that I was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I am in the process of overhauling my diet, taking a paleo/primal path with an autoimmune emphasis (see Loren Cordain's ongoing research into the world of autoimmunity and paleo solutions).

Good luck, I've heard of people being basically allergic to everything under the sun basically. Dairy, egg, legume, gluten, etc. Sucks.

Quick Start Test Smith
You're going to be looking for buckwheat protein and soy protein. Of course there's also beef protein isolate, which is good as well... and expensive, but probably better. You may have trouble finding certified gluten free.

Sorry to bring this up so late in the thread, but are you sure soy is okay for guys? I vaguely remember something about soy not being as bad as everyone thought it was, but I can't remember if it was conclusive.

Are these other sources really comparable to whey?

@Aurele, I enjoyed that video! Thanks for posting it. I too enjoy and become inspired by enthusiasts more than professionals. It seems more attainable and less formal. Cool video!

Joshua Naterman

Technically speaking, nothing is comparable to whey.

Practically speaking, they are all good protein sources and will give excellent results. So will real food, by the way. You just need to make sure that you have the leanest meat possible before and after the workout (boiled chicken breasts) so that you get an absorption curve similar to whey. And chew it really well, of course.

Personally, I shy away from soy but Aurele is using it and doesn't look like he has boobs or anything. A lot of this is a dose-response thing. 20-25g of supplemental soy protein probably won't do any damage to anyone. 120+ grams per day... well, 5x the amount you need or should get of nearly anything is a bad idea. Water's a great example. Drink 5x what you should and you die horribly.

I mention soy because of the thread subject, and I do not personally endorse soy but hey... it has a fast absorption curve and reasonable bioavailability. If you're looking for a single vegetarian protein supplement, soy will probably be an ingredient.

You won't catch me using it any time soon, but there are plenty of people who are using it and getting good physique results. Long term health consequences are unknown.

Some people use it with not deeming side effects. Others get boobs and erection problems. There could be quality control issues or chemicals used to process it with or types of soy protein. Just not worth the bother at that point, imo. Until extremely documented research is done.

Oh yeah, it tastes disgusting. I'm a fan of the drink it before you taste it but BLECH. Not chalky like egg protein just blech.

To note, I've done 5-6 servings of Whey a day without any issues but have not done it long term. My biggest issue tended to be people throwing out my specially made paper funnel at work and the cost. Wasn't too bad compared to just buying meat though. 5-6tubs of protein powder bought at the store was around 100 bucks. Woulda been cheaper if I bought in bulk online and I could have been more picky about certain ingredients. Meat of course would have been more calories and other nutrients.

Casein is somewhat close to Whey, better than the rest but was under 7g/hr digested. It actually seems to be more expensive than Whey and some people have casein allergies as well.

Brown Rice and Pea protein are kind of catching the rage for vegetarian proteins. I've heard good things about Pea protein besides I think it's supposed to be hypo allergenic and has a boatload more of L-Arginine than Whey. As in 2-4x as much.

Joshua Naterman

As a few things to note, hypoallergenic has no meaning. I know this because my father made a few skin care products and had to look into the legality of the term, and it literally is nothing. There's nothing that no one is allergic to, and technically speaking as per word roots, hypoallergenic just means a lower chance of aggravating allergies, not allergy-proof.

Arginine is one of those amino acids, like many, that our bodies make on an as-needed basis, and we do so fairly quickly. Having excessive arginine, like excessive [almost] anything, just means it either gets oxidized or changed into a different amino acid. Not a bad thing, but certainly not a claim to fame in practical terms either.

It's also in all of the Male Performance supplements. :shock:

Apparently if you have peanut allergies, pea protein will be no good for you. Similar protein structures.

Thing is, apparently soy has been identified with 29 different substances that people can have problems with. Besides the phytic acid or whatever.

Joshua Naterman
It's also in all of the Male Performance supplements. :shock:

Apparently if you have peanut allergies, pea protein will be no good for you. Similar protein structures.

Thing is, apparently soy has been identified with 29 different substances that people can have problems with. Besides the phytic acid or whatever.

Yes, because relatively high doses of arginine, when taken on an empty stomach, increase production of NO which dilates blood vessels throughout the body. Guess where you have lots of arterial blood flow :)

This doesn't happen when taken along with food.

Soy has over 180 substances in it that are classified by the FDA as toxic to varying degrees. Quite interesting :)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.