Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DIY Rings Station

Kevin Oka

Hey all,

I've been using rings for a while now, but never really had a great spot to put them in. All places I would have put them are at risk for termite damage :roll: So... I've decided to build my own ring station.

Now I had a few requirements for my design. It needs to have clearance for my feet in an inverted position in a full range of motion, and it needs to be suspended high enough up where my feet simultaneously have decent clearance from the floor, while also to keep the rings long enough to function correctly. I believer I'll also be able to do muscleups with this setup.

Anyhow since building starts tomorrow, I'll start off with my materials:

2 - 2x6x8

2 - 2x4x2.5

2 - 2x4x2

2 - 2x4x2'4"

2 - 2x4x4

16 5" bolts

6 4" Screws

4 3.5" Screws

12 washers

6 nuts

so far my bill has run me $60 from the local hardware store.

OyvindBirkeland

Please post some pictures when you are done. Good luck with your building:)

Today I will be posting a picture of all the materials before construction, then drill all the holes and hopefully if I have enough time to assemble it completely. I'll keep you guys updated.

Is this going to be an indoor or outdoor set up?

It will be outdoor. The height will be roughly 8 ft. tall and have clearance on the top of the station to allow handstand and other inverted work without disruption. Should the base not be stable enough (it's roughly compact), I have allowed enough room to add a ballast in the base, of concrete or some other heavy material to keep it in place.

I'll document the build and if it is successful, I'll give details so other people may build this too (at their own risk of course :D )

If it is at all possible consider the following changes -

1) Make it taller, height is almost always an issue at some point with indoor home setups where an 8 foot ceiling is standard. If you can, find a way to build an extension at the top of the beams you already have.

2) Plan from the start to set it in concrete. There's no reason for an outdoor station not to be tall enough and solid enough.

• Upvote 1

If it is at all possible consider the following changes -

1) Make it taller, height is almost always an issue at some point with indoor home setups where an 8 foot ceiling is standard. If you can, find a way to build an extension at the top of the beams you already have.

2) Plan from the start to set it in concrete. There's no reason for an outdoor station not to be tall enough and solid enough.

I have circumvented the problem of height by making it open-ended. In my design you will be able rise higher than the straps' mounting point. As far as stability is concerned, any sort of permanence isn't practical for my situation, so it must be light, mobile and easily disassembled. I can also increase the size of the base if necessary later on, though I'm fairly confident it will do its job. I am a mechanical engineer after all :) As a side note, it should be mentioned im not going to be using this for abrupt motions like swinging and whatnot, mainly the ring series in the book.

Fair enough on the need to be able to take it apart situation. I suppose that limits you on height as well.

Do keep in mind the length of the straps also contributes to the instability of the rings, there is a reason that competition rings are set so high. When you have the straps at arms overhead height there will only be a couple of feet at most of strap.

No big deal, just an engineering trade off.

Aleister Ruffer

Ohh, I just did something similar... Used some of that black iron pipe (I'd use galvanized if you want to keep stuff outdoors). Pretty easy to swap things around and make taller/shorter or whatever depending on your needs. I'll post a pic in a second.

Total cost around $100 USD

Ninja edit:

I've modified it a bit since then... Mainly longer piping on the base for added stability.

LFo1xl.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ohh, I just did something similar... Used some of that black iron pipe (I'd use galvanized if you want to keep stuff outdoors). Pretty easy to swap things around and make taller/shorter or whatever depending on your needs. I'll post a pic in a second.

Ninja edit:

I've modified it a bit since then... Mainly longer piping on the base for added stability.

LFo1xl.jpg

Very interesting. I bet it is very sturdy. Do you have any height or clearance issues, like doing an inverted support or muscle up?

Update: progress has been very slow because it was been very hot every day except yesterday, which it rained. Though I have have both arms assembled, all that's required is the base and the pieces linking the arms together for stability.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finished the project. I have to say I am satisfied with it. It just took a lot longer than normal because my uncle kept getting in the way ;)

The station is stable even without the ballast I was going to add, so I'm going to hold off on that right now. I'm just a little scared because it's sitting on concrete. I'll have to add padding later on, maybe I'll get some small mats or something. I'll post a more detailed write-up on what I did later on after I get some pictures.

Aleister Ruffer

As in the pic, yes, but that's as much ceiling as I had there. I've moved and added a couple pieces on either side to bring it up, and I have plenty of room now.

What are you going to use for padding? I have hard floors where I am now, and would like ideas

As in the pic, yes, but that's as much ceiling as I had there. I've moved and added a couple pieces on either side to bring it up, and I have plenty of room now.

What are you going to use for padding? I have hard floors where I am now, and would like ideas

Right now it's just above concrete so it is NOT going to fly for my inverted stuff, I get scared even though I have full control, just don't want to risk it. I've been thinking about using crash pads for rock climbing. I think they're a nice size and they can be relatively inexpensive if you can find one used or on sale somewhere. They're really cushioned as well, since they're made for people to fall on from as high as 20 ft. without injury. 98% sure I'll be picking one up soon, as soon as I get paid :?

• 1 year later...

Ninja edit:

LFo1xl.jpg

That looks like a pretty portable system. Does it disassemble? What did you use for support? 

Well, I finished the project. I have to say I am satisfied with it. It just took a lot longer than normal because my uncle kept getting in the way ;)

The station is stable even without the ballast I was going to add, so I'm going to hold off on that right now. I'm just a little scared because it's sitting on concrete. I'll have to add padding later on, maybe I'll get some small mats or something. I'll post a more detailed write-up on what I did later on after I get some pictures.

Would love to see some pics if youre done