Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Opinion on these videos

JoeSimo

I was reading the thread "Excellent Planche Pushups" and someone remarked how they see videos on youtube where a guy does a few muscle ups and dips and people are drooling over them. To be honest I found that pretty funny as I tend to agree with him. It also made me think of the videos my friends put out there. I am actually really curious to hear peoples opinions on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLEMqN-Za_U

How well could a trained gymnast do at the same stuff? I always hear from them that they dont use kipping motions so it is harder with just the pure pulling power.

I'm just curious to get some opinions.

Thanks

Despite how slow and controlled the moves are, the most difficult thing I saw was a planche pushup at the bottom not full ROM, front lever and back lever and a tuck maltese on the rings to something that is towards an Iron Cross but around 30 degrees.

Are you thinking what I am thinking, Joe? Nah, no way this could gets as silly as the Bboy Junior PPU's thread. :)

Truth is, I wonder, too. I don't think any Olympic level gymnast would have any problems duplicating a single move they do, just because we have all seen them do harder things. The street guys tend to have god (actually, I was supposed to type good, but I'll keep it unedited)pullup strength, but their handstand skills, planche strength, and flexibility are too deficient from my perspective. The bigger mystery is the muscular endurance for certain movements, like 20 muscle ups. To my knowledge, not a single high level gymnast holds any of the pull up records. So, these guys definitely have leadway in that aspect.

That last video with the muscle ups were pretty impressive that guy didn't use momentum it was pure strength. Sure it wasn't as slow and controlled as

but it is still pretty impressive.

As for the other videos I didn't see anything that really impressed me other than the man doing some training for the "Close to impossible" in the second video at 2:07.

David Picó García

What i like of this videos is, despite the impressive bodies of some of them, which we dont know if they have been built enterily from this kind of training, is how much exercises you can do just with a bar :P

I've never seen that muscle up by Aguilar before. I've seen a guy do a move referred to as a Balandin. From a dead hang he pulled up through a cross with straight arms and into a Maltese, then to invert; I just had to laugh.

I've never seen that muscle up by Aguilar before. I've seen a guy do a move referred to as a Balandin. From a dead hang he pulled up through a cross with straight arms and into a Maltese, then to invert; I just had to laugh.

What realy amezes me is pull to maltese from back lever trough straight arms. :oops:

What i would like to see is pull from inverted hang to inverted cross :lol:

I actually had this conversation with my friend Jay. he is the bug muscular one with dreads. For the life of him he cannot manage to straighten or lock his arms. I had him try just a simple ball planche once to get the feel and he was unable to do it. It kind of surprised me. Though he told me he was working hard now to get the locked arms as he appreciates the advantage of being able to do it. Still, I'm not sure he can get there unless he basically starts at the beginning again.

Sometimes I think people don't know gymnastics exists.

shiftedShapes
I actually had this conversation with my friend Jay. he is the bug muscular one with dreads. For the life of him he cannot manage to straighten or lock his arms. I had him try just a simple ball planche once to get the feel and he was unable to do it. It kind of surprised me. Though he told me he was working hard now to get the locked arms as he appreciates the advantage of being able to do it. Still, I'm not sure he can get there unless he basically starts at the beginning again.

Sometimes I think people don't know gymnastics exists.

I was talking with him about this as well. I think if he practices from lockout a little bit he will progress rapidly. Definitely a very good straddle planche should be within his reach and he should be able to get the full planche with some focus.

Did you guys get any good footage this afternoon? Sorry I couldn't make it.

Also most of these guys don't know about this site, though I'm constantly plugging it as I think that they could probably benefit greatly from all of the great advice that coach has given.

I watch your guys' videos all the time, I think they're all very strong. Zef can do front lever pull ups and one arm chins EASILY. I'm not sure how many gymnasts can do one arm chins, but either way, he's still a beast.

shiftedShapes
I watch your guys' videos all the time, I think they're all very strong. Zef can do front lever pull ups and one arm chins EASILY. I'm not sure how many gymnasts can do one arm chins, but either way, he's still a beast.

Yeah he has crazy endurance and shoulder flexibility too. I think he would be good on the rings except for the fact that he doesn't like the way the false grip feels.

BTW great quote, I loved factotum (and I agree going crazy should be on everyone's bucket list).

Are you Steven Low from crossfit? You gave a lot of good advice on that site, but I can see why you left. Answering the same questions 100s of times has got to get boring.

Are you Steven Low from crossfit? You gave a lot of good advice on that site, but I can see why you left. Answering the same questions 100s of times has got to get boring.

That would be me.

Anyway, I might go back. We'll see.