Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The greatest athlete in the world?

RatioFitness

Rik de Kort
Wow, Fred! That translation is spot on. Too bad most of the board members won't be able to appreciate this example of the poetic beauty of the Dutch language. Well, maybe the realization of having missed out on something unique here will get them started.

Every day, my friend, every day I listen to this 'poetic beauty of the Dutch language'. All these people who can't even pronounce the 'ch' and 'r' correctly... :P

(or is it Rick?)

:facepalm: I think I know how to spell my name.

I said OLD Dutch proverb. You clearly have not been around long enough.

Perhaps, but I've had my fair share of old Dutch reading and have a good vocabulary.

It's not a common proverb by any means. Maybe it was local/family thing? When somebody says: "Alle kleine beetjes helpen," we (family) then reply: "ja, en de mug piest in de zee", but I've never heard such a thing from anyone else.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joshua Naterman

• FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

• RatioFitness

• Rik de Kort

FREDERIC DUPONT
"Alle kleine beetjes helpen," we (family) then reply: "ja, en de mug piest in de zee"

:shock: :lol:

It's okay, you did not choose your family... :roll:

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Goes to show that a little cow shit can help to grow a beautiful flower garden (old Dutch proverb).

I doubt that that has ever been a Dutch proverb. I certainly don't know the phrase.

I said OLD Dutch proverb. You clearly have not been around long enough.

Perhaps, but I've had my fair share of old Dutch reading and have a good vocabulary.

It's not a common proverb by any means. Maybe it was local/family thing? When somebody says: "Alle kleine beetjes helpen," we (family) then reply: "ja, en de mug piest in de zee", but I've never heard such a thing from anyone else.

Well, a fair share apparently is not enough. But don’t take it too hard. The other day, I was using this exact old Dutch proverb to make a point with a good Dutch friend of mine (also well read and with a good vocabulary, but not a good listener) and he became incensed, because he did not know the proverb and he thought I was commenting on one of his personal habits (his neighbors can’t see what he is doing in his backyard). It took me a while to calm him down.

Interesting, though, what you mention about these mosquitoes pissing in the sea. It never even occurred to me that they did that, but I will take your word for it. However, I have to take a step back, because I can see the direction this discussion is taking and don’t want to go there. I agree, that the question of whether the rise of the sea level is more caused by Nature (e.g. mosquitoes peeing in the ocean) and not primarily man-made is really important. But that was not the question the OP asked, so let’s not hijack his thread. Let me therefore ask you. What do you think defines a really good athlete?

Rik de Kort

Interesting, though, what you mention about these mosquitoes pissing in the sea. It never even occurred to me that they did that, but I will take your word for it.

However, I have to take a step back, because I can see the direction this discussion is taking and don’t want to go there. I agree, that the question of whether the rise of the sea level is more caused by Nature (e.g. mosquitoes peeing in the ocean) and not primarily man-made is really important.

:lol: You crack me up, Frits.

But that was not the question the OP asked, so let’s not hijack his thread. Let me therefore ask you. What do you think defines a really good athlete?

A good athlete has to be primarily good in-the-moment. You're worth nothing in the real world if you can't fend for yourself. A good atlethe needs strength and power in all ranges of motion (including a flexibility component), have good short-term endurance (run very fast up to 1600m), good accuracy, coordination and speed in executing movement patterns, and finally a good sense of balance.

Gymnasts fit this bill especially well, though I think their leg power is lacking. To me, a combination of GST with power/oly lifting for legs and a little bit of short-distance running is what would be build a great athlete.

Which, not entirely coincedental, is what I am aiming to be and what my training is directed towards.

Larry Roseman
[A good athlete has to be primarily good in-the-moment. You're worth nothing in the real world if you can't fend for yourself. A good atlethe needs strength and power in all ranges of motion (including a flexibility component), have good short-term endurance (run very fast up to 1600m), good accuracy, coordination and speed in executing movement patterns, and finally a good sense of balance.

Rik, I think we call know how to answer this question. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://games.crossfit.com/leaderboard

Rik de Kort
[A good athlete has to be primarily good in-the-moment. You're worth nothing in the real world if you can't fend for yourself. A good atlethe needs strength and power in all ranges of motion (including a flexibility component), have good short-term endurance (run very fast up to 1600m), good accuracy, coordination and speed in executing movement patterns, and finally a good sense of balance.

I doubt many of them can do a straddle planche.

Larry Roseman

I doubt many of them can do a straddle planche.

You refered to general qualities. Specific capabilities vary, although some could probably.

Anyway, just posted for yuks.

Rik de Kort

You refered to general qualities. Specific capabilities vary, although some could probably.

Anyway, just posted for yuks.

I know. :P It occured to me that I really should've said HS. You need strength in ALL positions, even inverted.