Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Putting on Muscle Size.....

Wade

Fellows trainers,

I have been on the warrior diet for about a year and a half and have had good results, im at a consitent 7-8% body fat, however i want to put more size on. I find the warrior diet gets me in the the best shape for my body size but doesn't get yme bigger. I do MMa aswell and i would like to move up a wieght in my subbmission grappling.

As winter is coming up in a few months (im in australia remember) i would like to test drive some bulking diets that you guys can reconmend.

Any help would be appreiated.

Wade

Scotty Hagnas

I'd suggest going to http://www.performancemenu.com/ and downloading a few articles on mass gain and intermittent fasting.

You can add muscle while eating intermittently (as you are doing on the Warrior Diet). You must ensure that you are consuming enough food in your eating window, primarily by bumping up the quality fat content of your meals.

Basically, what it comes down to is eating more (well, eat well.. and more).. if you have a quality routine. If you're putting down 10,000 cals per day obviously you're gonna put on some weight (although much of it will probably be fat). To gain ~1 lbs a week it is suggested that you take ~500 cals above maintenance.

Well, another huge example is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength in which you also drink a gallon of milk a day with his routine and you pretty much make incredible size and strength gains.

The Pmenu stuff is good.

Adding Milk to Diet

I do not advocate bulking diets. Yes, the body will accumulate mass, however much of it will be non-functional. In the case of consuming a gallon of milk a day - the majority of it will be adipose tissue (fat). Unlike weightlifters or bodybuilders, for a gymnast or someone engaged in Gymnastic Strength Training™, it is essential to build and maintain a high strength to weight ratio. Whatever mass is added to the body's frame must be supremely functional.

For us, bulk for the sake of bulk is a dead end performance wise.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Definitely agreed.

Though I think it may boil down to what his goals are. If, for example, he is doing track and field he might need a bit more leg mass for strength/power but obviously that would be detrimental to upper body strength.

I can only assume though that since he's here he wants the mass/strength of a gymnast in which case it is better to pursue performance and let the mass add itself (or possibly increase cals very slightly).

George Launchbury

Hi Wade,

As an aside: if you were to add significant strength without moving up a weight class ...wouldn't that be large advantage!?!

Just a thought.

George.

Thanks for all your advice guys,

I will check out performace menu,

Coach, I understand the science behind having a good strength to weight ratio, however i just want that liitle bit more size. Coach what diet do you have your athletes use?

George, ur right about moving up a class, if i stay at the weight i am now but increase my strength i'l be a machine, lol.

Thanks again guys.

wade

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.