Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings Distancing Setup

Giancarlo

Hi folks, I've been working a ring routine akin to the Basic Ring Strength 2 at home with rings suspended 60cm appart and have reset them to 70cm to prepare myself for future cross, ring planche and ring HS training. I was just wondering whether or not people think it's a bad idea to do so, if anyone has done anything similar and whether or not it will be beneficial?

I should mention, I have a wingspan of about 196cm, 185cm tall and about 190lbs as well so I find anything less than 60cm a bit tight haha. I'm not training for any form of competition so muscle memory isn't much of an issue that way. Any thoughts are welcome! Train hard.

Typically speaking, the farther apart the rings are from each other, the harder any movements on them tend to become, at least slightly. It is due to the slack in tension I believe, whereas when they are set close together, there is more tension-you can feel it in the straps. I'm not sure how much of a difference in exercise efficency having them close together or apart has, and I wouldn't focus too much on this factor. If I were you I'd set them far enough apart to be comfortable and to allow you to do most movements but not too far apart and then get to training!

Good luck on your advancing onto more advanced exercises, but take things slow would be my advice! Your not the lightest rings worker, and any straight arm strength moves will be a good deal more stressful because of that. Be really slow with you iron cross training, its hard on the elbows and connective tissues!

Rik de Kort
Typically speaking, the farther apart the rings are from each other, the harder any movements on them tend to become, at least slightly. It is due to the slack in tension I believe, whereas when they are set close together, there is more tension-you can feel it in the straps. I'm not sure how much of a difference in exercise efficency having them close together or apart has, and I wouldn't focus too much on this factor. If I were you I'd set them far enough apart to be comfortable and to allow you to do most movements but not too far apart and then get to training!

I think tension has little to do with it. It's the lever arm that gets longer (between your hands and shoulders).

Aye man I know, I had some bad elbow tendonitis last year but it's all but gone now. Thanks for the info guys, I'll let you know how I get on with it.