From Andalucia with love and doubts!

Started by Adriano Augusto, May 27, 2012 · 11 Replies · 2,873 Views

Adriano Augusto

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, like you'll see for my post account. It's gonna be complicated if I say that I'm from Andalucia, Spain, and (the most important thing) my english is terrible. Well, I said it! I'm relaxed now, so excuse me if sometimes it's hard reads/understand me: really, excuse me.

Well, for the record: I'm 22 yo, 1,80cm, 80kgs, and my gymnastics background it's zero, but I've been training "gymnastics" 1 year and a half. My "Gymnastics" means: a lot of pull ups/dips/push ups, and everything that you've seen in Youtube called "Street Workout". Hannibal for king, Barstar... stuff like that, with poor parks stuff in my city. Since 3 moths ago more or less, and for the first time, I READ BtGB; I had already "read" other times, but that wasn't read for me (to put into practice neither).

In these three months of training I've success in what I would want: Handstand and OAC. I've a decent (but still weak) Handstand (my endurance in HS depends of the bodyline, of course, and I'm trying to get it perfect from the beginning) , and OAC it's achieved. Well, "OAC". After several moths doing negatives and assisted, the success came one day: I did one OAC with my right arm and a 90º degree OAC with my left. Like I said, everything it's very unclear, but 3 months ago I barely pull my body few inches to the ground hanging from one arm, so I'm happy.

In April I've re-read BtGB, and practice a lot, but in the way I've thinking maybe the things can do better, and this week I've re-re-re-read BtGB and read^closetoinfinite the forums topics, etc, etc. My understanding of english it's "bleh", so it's difficult read about these things (terminology and so on). I've read a ton of everything, and maybe I've suffered a little (like you say) "analysis paralysis"; well, almost.

I would write the routine that I've been follow this months, but I know that it's something useless. Now, I've designed a routine based on everything that I've read and it's something like that

- Joint Mobility (shoulders, scapula, elbows, wrist, ankles, etc, etc. So much Ido Portal Prehab)

Warm Up

60s plank

60s reverse plank

60s perfect hollow hold with hands over your head

60s arch hold in the superman flying position

60s Parallel Bar Suppot

60s chin up grip dead hang

X3

Well... hehe, questions coming! After I've read so much, the next is interesting. I've never trying this type or warm up, although I think that some are easy to me. In these months I've focus directly on L-sit and Planche FSP, with a solid almost 1m L-sit on floor and 10x6" tuck planche.

I don't know if this was working but I want to start from the beggining: PreFSP. Monday I'll try that circuit and If it's easy to me I'll asking here what I would do then, and If not... if not, well... I don't know what that would means.

In any case, L-sit/BL/FL/PL would working? Or should I focus on 3x60 L-sit solely? Or in the Pre FSP?

Next thing... FBE... My personal chaos!

Monday

Horizontal Pull - Rows

Horizontal Push/press - Pseudo Planche PushUps

Tuesday

Vertical Pull - Inverted Pull Ups

Vertical Push - HeadStandPush-ups and/or HS Wall Runs

Wednesday

CombinedPullPress - Muscle Up

MultiPlanePulling - Pull overs

MultiPlanePressing - Chest Roll to HeadStand

Thursday

Horizontal Pull - Rows Rings Bulgarian

Horizontal Push/press - Pseudo Planche Pushups

Friday

Vertical Pull - All types of pullups

Vertical Push - Dips

Saturday

Legs and Core

It's that too much? It's the right order? I've been crazy? The sets and reps that I'd thought it's 5x5 for the ease ones and 3x3 for the hard ones. For example, the HeSPU it's hell to me (I know it even before try), PPPP same, Pullovers I don't tryed, MU... I know where applying 5x5 but for the others... I don't know... I don't know even if that scheme of reps (5x5) would be good for me actually, or EVEN if these exercises would be good or too hard. Based on BtGB I made a list of every plane of movement with the exercises that I believe I can do, but... really, I don't know and because of that I'm posting for help.

Other things...

Since I "get" the OAC, I don't wanna lose it, so I want to try the method of training that Coach Sommer explained:

Five days a week I did 2 sets of 2-3 reps of assisted one arm pullups in addition to more conventional gymnastics type conditioning. During this time, I did no weighted pull-ups or in fact any other pull-ups at all.

Where I should put the Handstand practice? In the beginning? at the end of training? Very confused.

I bought rings one month ago and well, I can get by quite well with them... (supports, L-sit, Dips, etc)... should I continue incorporating them into my training? I workout in a park with monkey bars, bars and... a tree for the rings :D

I've more questions but, First Things First!

Really, really thank you for your help! I hope that my english wasn't so horrible :D

¡Abrazos!

Ian Myers

Throw in the handstand training with your static holds. After your warmup, do static holds for your bl fl pl lsit and handstand for a total of 60seconds, more for the handstand if necessary. Of course keep using your rings, you need them for most of your fbe's :P for your oac work, you could do what you read, but if you incorporate lightly assisted oaks into your pull up workouts I'd think you'd be fine. Don't just train unassisted oacs though because you can't do enough.

Why not just follow the wods?

Rik de Kort

Just wanted to say that this is awesome: someone new to BtGB who has done his research, despite not speaking English all that well. Good job! :D

As for your FSP's, that seems fine. Work on your pre-FSP's, but I suspect that won't be much of a problem for you. Handstand is skill practice, so that comes after the warmup and before any of the strength stuff. If you use Coach's FSP protocol (half of max for minute total time), you can put your HS work either before or after that. I'd go with before, so you have a bit more energy.

As you hit the prerequisites, work on L-sit (which you've got) and German Hang (this is very important). Again, if you have an OAC, I don't think GH will be a problem, but just work it and see if you can get 3x30s relatively easily. Then start back lever and front lever work. You can hit 3x30s for L-sit for sure, but I'd hold off on planche before you at least get your plank in order, with good protracted scapula, so you know what the form should feel like.

I'd say move your L-sit to the floor on palms. If you do that already, move on to advanced L.

For your FBE's a focussed routine tends to get you to your goals quicker. So you do work towards OAC every workout (not always one-arm work!) and then add in the necessary stuff to shore up weaknesses. I'd go with a vertical push, vertical pull, horizontal push and horizontal pull every workout.

The vertical pull will obviously be archer pullups, OAC negatives, weighted pullups, that kind of stuff. For vertical push I'd go with press handstands or HSPU for now, since that helps your handstand the most (you get some embedded practice).

You can also do more combinatory stuff as from the looks of it you're pretty advanced. In that case, you can swap out the horizontal and vertical push for a MPPr variation. Would save some time. You can do the same with MPPu variations.

CPP, I'm not so sure. Muscle-ups are always good, but you pay the price because you're not going to get much volume for OAC in.

Why not just follow the wods?

In my opinion: the WODs are really awesome, but if you focus on a few goals in a simple, balanced routine, you will reach those goals much quicker than doing a lot of things at once. For general fitness enthusiasts, the WODs are great because they really stave off boredom and get you stronger all over the place.

Adriano Augusto

Before start, I really want to THANK YOU both for replies; in my particular case, I appreciate any help.

Having said that... :D

Finally, the FSP are clear to me. Today I'm gonna try everything and then I'll come here to post my feelings.

But... FBE... :x

I understand that if my pourpose is the OAC and do several reps, my actual routine I think that it's too much; too much things, too much training, etc.

Well... Let's see if this is better:

Monday

Vertical Pull: archer pull ups (on rings or bars?)

Vertical Push: HeSPU

Horizontal Push: Push up on rings

Horizontal Pull: inverted pullups

Tuesday

MPPr - Chest roll HeS

MPPu - Pull overs

CPP - Muscle up

Wednesday

Legs and core

Pistols, dynamic work, DL, Squats, etc. The 80% of my mass is located on my legs, so... :D

Thursday

Vertical Pull: OAC Negatives

Vertical Push: HeSPU

Horizontal push: push up on rings

Horizontal pull: rows

Friday

MPPr - Chest roll to HeS

MPPu - Pull overs

CPP - Muscle up

Saturday and Sunday rest

- It's still too much? MPPr/MPPu/CPP twice a week it's crazy?

- HeSPU I'll do it on wall, of course, because I don't have enough strength directly on the floor.

- Really should I incorporate Press Handstand training? That should be another skill pourpose itself.

- 5x5, 3x5... both?

- WOD's... I'm afraid of them! They will come in the future when I learn more about BtGB universe... Maybe I'm wrong, but for now I think that it is not my way.

Sometimes, the english + terminology + training + pourposes + everythingelse = makes me paralyse on the screen, I raise my hands from the keyboard and my look goes to the infinity.

It's hard, but I like it, so...

Really, really thank you!

Rik de Kort

That's very likely too much volume. Make sure you get appropiate rest in between days. I'd go with the monday and a modified thursday workout and then just alternate them so you get a 3x a week schedule: MxTxMxxTxMxTxx where x is a rest day.

The way I'd modify the thursday workout is instead of Archer pullups, to do assisted OAC (as in the book). Maybe do dips instead of HeSPU because you're also doing inverted pullups.

I'd also integrate legs and core with the workout so you really just get two workouts you repeat. That is an effective approach, will get you to your goals and it's also simple. And simple is awesome.

Press handstands are really awesome, but you have to get your handstand first, otherwise there is nothing to press to!

Experiment with both. 3x5 for a couple of weeks, note your progress. Then 5x5 for another couple of weeks, note your progress. Compare to see if it makes any difference.

Also, don't be afraid of the WODs. You can scale them with the book and see what other people have done in terms of scaling to help you out.

Joshua Naterman

I agree with RIk, you are probably going to get your best results right now with an A,B,A pattern where you do week 1 A,B,A and week 2 B,A,B so that every workout day is alternating.

This will work because right now you should be focusing on the basics.

An A,B, rest, A,B rest, rest pattern may also be appropriate, but you are still working on basic strength and don't have HS, and seem to be somewhat new to the training.

Focus on handstand development and catching up on the pre-requisites. If your form is good, do NOT stop doing your planche holds but don't work them every day. 1-2 days per week is fine. At the very least, it will help to also do FL work.

I don't deal with modifying peoples' workouts anymore these days, because nearly all the time I would have to change everything up completely in order to really maximize the effectiveness of the workout program.

Use these guidelines: Try to train each of your muscle groups 2-3x per week. Use a different exercise each workout.

WOrkout A: push up variations, row variations,

WOrkout B: dip variations, pull up variations. These include MPPu and CPP. I would use dips and pull ups as warm up for muscle ups for 1-2 sets, complete muscle up work (2-3 sets) and then do work sets with the other stuff.

In other words, use basic FBE for warm up and then do your multi-plane work and CPP first, putting most of your effort into 1-2 of each. Muscle up, yewki, negative bower (or planche dip, or l sit to planche, whatever you can do), and so on. You'd pick 2 multiplanes, 1 pull and 1 push, and 1-2 CPP. At first that will just be muscle ups. When your muscle ups are awesome, like 6-10 easy reps of slow MU, you will want to start transitioning to Galimores. At first just a MU and lift to planche, eventually starting from a tuck FL and so on. Step by step.

Right now it is important for you to build the muscle that you need, so building up to 8-10 reps that take a total of 30-40s to complete is your real objective. Don't try to move on to the next variation until you can do this for all sets with perfect form!

Adriano Augusto

If you knew how much you help me with your answers... it's impressive, really, thank you.

Today I've done the first training of the cicle (a cicle that will be changed). Things to say:

- PreFSP 60'' x 3: Killer. Above all, hollow body (normal and arch) holds... GOD! At first was fine, but 2 and 3 round... abdominals on fire! Instead of PBars supports, I've done Rings support... most difficult, but is what I've (the PBars in the park are 100metros away). Rest of exercises easy. Short rest between exercises (5-10'' more or less) and between series, 40'' (it's ok?). If this it's going to be my warm up... hehehe, cool!

- Germang Hangs 3x30 completed. No difficult.

- HeSPU on wall... 3x3, completed, but it's too difficult! I don't even imagine the freestanding version...

Ok, then... less volume, more focus, more strength... Capisci! I like the volume when I'm training, always, but maybe I should behind what my ego wants and start to focus in the real thing!

Instead of speaking too much, questions:

- What means "rest day"? I mean, I do Pilates (I'm Pilates trainer, but I take classes too), and since 1 month ago, I do Floreio stuff always in the morning (Credits to Ido Portal)... would be good on theorical "rest" day?

- There are exercises where I can't do more than 3 reps in a row... HeSPU is and example, MU (just one), and so on... what I have to do with them? I think that the only way to build 8 reps it's for several sets... In MU for example would be 8-10 sets :lol: It's this right? I have answered myself?

At the moment, no more doubts only those.

I'll keep reading a lot, and of course, training.

And again, thank you, for real.

¡Un abrazo!

Ian Myers

Any type of mobility, flexibility, or prehab rehab exercises is great for rest days, just don't do any strength workouts.

A common method for increasing the low rep exercises like the mu is something like greasing the groove. Just do a muscle up or two every hour or two and soon you'll be able to do quite a bit

You seem pretty strong, so developing the transition should be a piece of cake, and that's most likely the only limit for you.

Rik de Kort

Like igm said, a rest day is any day that you aren't doing much strenuous stuff. I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to pilates, but you'll be able to judge that for yourself.

I think a good standard is at least 3 good reps of the movement before you start training it, because with lower reps it's just too hard to get enough volume. For MU, you can drop down to sternum pullups and ring dips (in good form of course) or maybe negative MU (so you jump up top and lower back down). For the HeSPU, I'd do box HeSPU first. And make sure you aren't flaring your elbows out!

Alvaro

Bienvenido, Serotonin y yo somos de Mallorca. Se ve que vas bien, no tengas prisa sobre todo con los ejercicios avanzados como planche y FL. Y el ingles tranquilo, en unos meses por aqui tambien mejorara mucho!. :D

Adriano Augusto

Well, new things to say.

In this week of training I'm basically trying the new workout.

Workout A: Push ups variations, row variations

Workout B: Dip variations, pull up variations.

In Workout B, mixing CPP and MPPr/MPPu, so on...

First thing first...

- The PreFSP it's going very well. But I've a doubt... The 3 rounds are unchangeable? I mean, I do them, but I'm not finish fresh, but tired (more or less)... What I want to say is if I have to do the 3 rounds, and then my FSP training... I'll lost quality? It's doesn't matter? I should stay in PreFSP until I can manage 3 rounds of PreFSP fresh?

- FSP. Today I've tried the 3x30 L-sit. It was a disaster. In PushUpBars I'm close to 1m, but in the floor... Normally I was doing it on floor, on rings, and I think that I've a very good L-sit position (Repeat, I think), but never tried L-sit rounds time... this is a totally different workout of L-sit. My max was 30sec when I've tried today... I understand that I've to do 15,15,15,15 and follow SSC, right? Ok!

More, and most funny... My frogstand... 50sec... Advance Frog Stand? No way, even put in the right position :lol: And I'm trying to training Tuck Planche! Hahaha! After I read this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6448&hilit=planche+leans ) I realise that I've to stay with Planche Leans 3x30, L-sit 3x30, and FrogStand for SCC. It's right again? Hahaha, I'm a pussy :lol: Really, this is so funny to me, because you think that things are well and see some results and one day... Plof! Well, it's doesn't matter, but again it's so funny. I forget FL and BL training this summer! Basics, basics!

- FBE

Today I tried my only exercise on MPPr, roll to HeS... It's a crap, I can varely push my body into the HeS position. I forget about MPPr? It's all lost with MPPr for me at this moment?

The MPPu was Pullovers, and I can do them but not 8 reps... In a row, it's around 4, or 5. How I manage this? I have to forget MPPr too because I can't do the easiest exercise properly?

Not all are bad news... good news! Today I've bought chalk for the first time In my life (I felt like a gymnast 8) and, in doing the CPP first, Muscle up... 4 in a row! and then, I push very hard and... 5 in a row! and then, 3, but I was exhausted. It's the victory of the day, because I KNEW that I could do more reps but my false grip combined with sweat it was bad. 5 in a row! Well, what it's the next step?

As I said, I'll continue reading, and I know that I'm a little pain in the ass but, I don't know, I think that it's better if you, BtGB'ers, can help me if it's possible.

Thank You, Community. I know now that I'm not alone in this kind of training.

PD: Omegant & Serotonin, ¡gracias por el recibimiento! Cómo mola ver a peña conocida y que está igual de flipado que uno con X cosa :D Muchas gracias compañeros, os seguiré de cerca. ¡Qué alegría! :mrgreen:

Rik de Kort

You've achieved the PreFSP, so just keep one circuit of 60s in your warmup and leave it at that. No need to do three rounds.

You're correct in your SSCs, I think. You're doing well to stick with the basics. However, Coach's prerequisite for planche training is a 3x30s L-sit.

MPPr is off the charts for now... maybe. Depends if it's skill-related or strength-related. If it's skill related, maybe you could mess around it after your FSP's to see if you can hit it? And then when you get it a few times, incorporate it into your workouts.

MPPu seems fine, you can keep training that.

Good job on the muscle-ups!

Do note that MPPu, MPPr and CPP are more advanced elements. So you don't need to work them if you can't, because you can work up to them with the basics.