This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Problem with planche

Started by klops3style, June 17, 2011 · 91 Replies · 52,904 Views

klops3style

EDIT: The post with Dillon's planche article has been moved to the "scapular positioning" sticky in the Foundation forum.

The direct link is here:

I believe it will be better for such an important and informative article to be placed in the sticky instead of a floating topic so that everyone can find out quickly what is needed for the lean.

Hi, I have been training for 8 months and I do tuck planche still. I can't move on adv tuck planche... ;( I have a lot of determination, but It is bored.. Please help me...

klops3style

Thank you..

MichaelLee

How long can you hold it for? Also, take a picture of your tuck planche and you will be able to see if you're doing it wrong.

Gustav

Remember to create a SSC and focus on form. Progressing too fast was my major fail..

Blairbob

SteadyStateCycle. Look it up in the book.

Seiji

Your tuck planche is actually really nice.

I find that the advanced frog stand is actually pretty hard to do. I see some people put their knees near their upper arms, but if you place them right above the elbow, it gets pretty intense on the bicep. I can't do it with my hands facing backwards haha

Dillon Zrike

Klops,

You need to work more planche leans. Adv. tuck planche is not about flattening your back. It is all about how far forward you lean. Once you have the strength to lean forward it will be very easy to do adv. tucks.

Dillon

klops3style

Thank you all for your responses. ;)

scottmo

Dillion, What is the proper way to do planche leans and how much time should one spend doing them? Should you elevate the feet same height as shoulders, do them on rings, hand positioning- hands foward/back, what should we focus on while doing the leans- pushing into the floor, rounding the back? thanks

klops3style

When I try to do adv tuck planche, I have rounded upper part of my back around my shoulderblades...

10 sec * 6 times ?

Blairbob

I'd like to know as well, Dillon.

Eddie Stelling

Also, what is the position of the elbow pit? Do you torque it out so its facing in front of you regardless of hand placement?

Timy7

Something that isnt mentioned in the book or enough really is REALLY push the scapula! Think of it as pressing your chest together or pulling your shoulder blades apart.

This one above recommendation allowed me to instantly go from adv flat tuck to 4-6second straddle planches.

Blairbob

Eddie, the crook of the elbow should face forward for almost all support positions. On a single rail in overgrip, you may not be able to face the crook directly forward but you should be able to in undergrip, RTO, PB, and any support on floor.

Oops, noticed last night I cannot turn the crook of my elbow to face straight forward during my planche leans. I can turn it out more than an overgrip support on a single rail but not to the same degrees as PB or SR.

Cole Dano

Great post Dillon, thanks for taking the time to make the point so clear to us all!

Finn Frank

Yes thanks a lot Dillon, I really didn't get that before. Pictures were very helpful.

Eddie Stelling
Blairbob said:
Eddie, the crook of the elbow should face forward for almost all support positions. On a single rail in overgrip, you may not be able to face the crook directly forward but you should be able to in undergrip, RTO, PB, and any support on floor.

Thanks alot! I have been focusing on this ever since I saw Gregor's planche video awhile back, but wasn't sure if that was only for hands backwards.

Dillon, thanks for your efforts, I think I speak for everyone when I say that that's a huge help!

klops3style

One question ... ;) Can I have my fingers in front of me? Instead of as Is it in the picture? Fingers backward?

Is it any difference between there are fingers forward and fingers backward?

I am sorry for a lot of questions. ;) I hope that you forgive me. ;)

Cole Dano

Where your fingers point is totally up to you.

scottmo

Dillion, great post, the pictures help alot. Is most of the strain on the biceps, ant delt, and it looks like you are actively flexing the Lats hard yes.

Mats Trane

Thanks so much for sharing Dillon!

Coach Sommer

Excellent post, Dillon.

My only correction is that unless someone has already mastered XR support holds & XR HS, it will be premature for them to perform some of their PL Leans on the rings. PL Leans on the rings should wait until the biceps tendon has been properly prepared.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Dillon Zrike

Coach,

Yes that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the correction Coach.

Dillon

RatioFitness

Great stuff, Dillon!