Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Minimalist equipment for GHR, Archups, etc.

Sven Ravnstag

Sven Ravnstag

Is anyone aware of a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment that'd serve as a catchall for GHR, arch ups, and the like? Something like a kind of roman chair perhaps? I've seen the homemade devices for GHR along with using a loaded barbell, but the hip flexion portion of the movement seems like it might be important and Coach often prescribes back extension exercises that I'd like to be better able to do.

Parth Rajguru

You may be able to make something of your own or buy something cheap. I found a roman chair on craigslist for $20, which can be used for back extensions. I use a seated calf raise machine as my GHR anchor point. A power rack can be adapted to perform GHRs and Back Extensions.

Stall bars work for GHR. If you use a bench and stall bars, you can do back extensions as well. ROM may be somewhat limited, but you might be able to find a chair or other support point that is taller.

You can also use an olympic barbell loaded in a power rack with a bench. A barbell on the floor that is 'stopped' can be used for GHRs.

Aaron Griffin

You can also put some weight on a barbell and hook your ankles underneath it, for a ground NLC

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks everyone! I've found a weird low to the ground bench in the neighborhood playground that works for the NLC. I'm just going to keep my eyes open for other options.

I especially like the stall bar with bench idea. I don't have SB's yet but definitely want to get some; this would be a great way to get the full ROM GHR with minimal cost and space used!