Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ankle cuff recommendations for weighted plates?

SendoTakeshi

SendoTakeshi

I've been having a hard time finding ankle cuffs that one can attach weighted plates to for hanging ab workouts like the HLL/RLL on Amazon (let alone anywhere); all I can find are cuffs that people attach to cable machines, which I assume wouldn't work for plates.

Here's a video of a guy demonstrating what I'm talking about:

(Watch at 4:51)

Does anyone have any recommendations of a product they use, or perhaps even a homemade solution? I'd appreciate the help.

Hey SendoTakeshi- This is a video of forum member Marlon and I believe he is actually using a strap to secure the plates to his ankles. A nylon strap would work as outlined in BtGB- if you have the book look in the beginning where Coach references equipment and he explains in detail how to make one for yourself. Essentially a 20inch or so loop fashioned out of some 1-2inch wide nylon webbing with the ends sewn together. :) - John

SendoTakeshi
Hey SendoTakeshi- This is a video of forum member Marlon and I believe he is actually using a strap to secure the plates to his ankles. A nylon strap would work as outlined in BtGB- if you have the book look in the beginning where Coach references equipment and he explains in detail how to make one for yourself. Essentially a 20inch or so loop fashioned out of some 1-2inch wide nylon webbing with the ends sewn together. :) - John

Hey John, thanks for the post!

I had no idea "Moefro777" was a member here. I've wondered how his progressions were post his last video, Thanks for the information.

I looked it up in the book just as you suggested, but I'm a little confused with the process. If the nylon webbing is sewn together in a loop at its ends, doesn't that mean I can't remove them at any time if I want to adjust the weights? Or if I want to use the plate for something else? If it can be taken on and off at anytime I would be happy to make a pair, otherwise I'd prefer buying a product.

If there are others using a strap/cuff for weighted ab workouts, what are you guys using? If you bought something, where can I find it? Or if you made something, how did you do it/can it be easily removed?

Thanks again John/to any future posters.

Finn Frank

Don't worry you can definitely adjust the weight! All you do is take your feet out of the strap and then the weight will slide out. If your still not sure I'm sure I could post a video of mine if someone doesn't clear it up first. :)

You just thread the strap through the hole in the plate and around your ankles.

If you have a gymnastic supply shop nearby ask they will most likely have them if you don't want to make them.

It's shown in the book.

Finn Frank

These are the straps I use for weighted conditioning and how I put them on.

As shown you can grab the plates between your ankle to hold them still or pull your ankles apart to tension the straps to hold the plates in place.

rAChUY6stKY

I bough these nylon straps from a fabric store for next to nothing, cut them to length and sew them together. I have another longer set for when I use more weight plates at once.

You may perhaps want a more heavy duty nylon strap if you are using heavier weights. I do however recommend small increases weight if you have fairly long lever :P

SendoTakeshi
These are the straps I use for weighted conditioning and how I put them on.

As shown you can grab the plates between your ankle to hold them still or pull your ankles apart to tension the straps to hold the plates in place.

rAChUY6stKY

I bough these nylon straps from a fabric store for next to nothing, cut them to length and sew them together. I have another longer set for when I use more weight plates at once.

You may perhaps want a more heavy duty nylon strap if you are using heavier weights. I do however recommend small increases weight if you have fairly long lever :P

Finnbar, I love you man!!!

Thanks for taking the time to make a video for me. That clarifies everything. Your tips are also invaluable. Didn't know you could buy them at a fabric store; I'll check out the local one and start making a few pairs this weekend. Really appreciate it man! I'm sure if anyone comes across this thread with the same questions I had your video will clarify everything for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan Libke

Also check out REI or other outdoor equipment retailer. They have heavy duty webbing for purchase at a desired length, strength, etc., and pre-sewn loops of various sizes. I actually use long loops (slings) to hang my rings from the center beam in my garage, so you can justify spending a little bit because the loops are actually quite versatile.

SendoTakeshi
Also check out REI or other outdoor equipment retailer. They have heavy duty webbing for purchase at a desired length, strength, etc., and pre-sewn loops of various sizes. I actually use long loops (slings) to hang my rings from the center beam in my garage, so you can justify spending a little bit because the loops are actually quite versatile.

I actually just bought my nylon straps from Amazon recently ($7-9 for 10 yards if anyone's interested) but thanks for the information man, I'll keep that in mind for next time. Nice avatar by the way - Princess Mononoke haha 8)

A karate belt and a low tech knot work very well! :)

I wore one for years to keep my gi together!

• 4 months later...

Cam buckle will work, as will a yoga belt etc...

However the nylon strap is actually the better for this job, the buckle is more of a pain to deal with, and it gets in the way.

Those nylon straps are sort of standard equipment within gymnastics even though they aren't so common elsewhere. Use what you have available to you.

Alos keep in mind Coach is revising his recommendations on weighted work, preferring trainees to work through the progressions first before thinking about weight.