How to implement static hold (time wise) in the routine?

Started by seiyafan, May 9, 2012 · 4 Replies · 2,144 Views

seiyafan

Say when my body is fresh and fully warmed up, I can hold a max of 20 sec L-sit and 8 seconds tucked planche with assist band, how do I determine how long to hold for each set and the number of sets I should do. What I used to do was to hold it to failure in every set for 5-6 sets, but I guess it might not be good for the body in the long run.

Ian Myers

cut the time in half and get at least 60 seconds of work. So for the l-sit, do at least 6 sets of 10 second holds. For the planche, I'd go back to an advanced frog stand, 15 sets of 4 seconds seems silly, but its up to you.

seiyafan

so 50% of the max hold time each set for 5-6 sets.

Cool!!!!

Vincent Stoyas
seiyafan said:
so 50% of the max hold time each set for 5-6 sets.

Cool!!!!

Not always. I know that slizzardman doesn't like anyone really doing more than 3-4 sets of FSPs especially if you're only holding it for 6 seconds. I don't really want to give advice as I might be quoting it wrong, but there are a few topics floating around on this very subject right now.

Ian Myers
seiyafan said:
so 50% of the max hold time each set for 5-6 sets.

Cool!!!!

. How many sets you do depends on the hold time. If you were doing 20 second holds, you'd do 3 of them. Like vincearoo said, if you have a short hold time (under 10 seconds) either go down a progression or limit the number of sets