Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some of the FSP I have been working on

Philip Chubb

Philip Chubb

Here is some of the FSP I have been working on. Not the best quality I am capable of sadly but this is after a full week of three-a-day workouts with my own programming. I was once called a "20 year old kid who doesn't know anything." Well from studying and doing my research and experimenting with my programming, I am almost (14 days) a 21 year old kid who still probably doesn't know anything :mrgreen:. But here's some of the results of my work regardless. Sorry for the blurriness of the camera. Still trying to figure out that things settings...

546945_3049065265376_1225530084_32596649_1561666328_n.jpg

Front Lever

522909_3049111786539_1225530084_32596737_823484174_n.jpg

Back Lever where the picture was taken just a second earlier than I wanted...

524811_3049069545483_1225530084_32596670_1467497523_n.jpg

OAC

558470_3049051825040_1225530084_32596588_1885775738_n.jpg

Working toward the ring straddle planche

I want to thank Coach and Josh and everyone on the website that changed my life!

Hey man, good stuff. Looks like that work is paying off! :)

I think its sort of weird no has commented on this yet but hey.. Human nature I guess.

Anyway. I hope more people come in and show some support. Gj dude - keep it up :)

Philip Chubb

You might be the only one to ever comment but that is okay! You have made my day and your support means a lot to me! Thank you! :mrgreen:

Philip Chubb

Thank you very much! That means a lot to me. This literally was a life changing thing for me to get into. The place in the background is Hill's gymnastics aka that place where Dominique Dawes trained. I have the pleasure of working there!

Eddie Stelling

Nice work Phillip, looking strong! Quite motivating for me right now, 3 more weeks until I am cleared from physical therapy, I hope to climb back up to your level!

Iwan Thomas

Nice! Good work. Any tips/progressins etc youve learnt along the way you wished you had known before? A brief overview of your training and how its evolved over time and the results that have come with these changes woud be great. Would like to replicate your skills!

Cheers

Philip Chubb

Thank you!

Sure. The number one thing for me has been building a big work capacity. I use a sort of Jon Broz approach when it comes to it and I beat myself into the ground pretty regularly. I made really slow gains at first and at times I even got weaker. But eventually that ended and I was able to get a lot more work done than before and make excellent progress with it. It will suck at times but if you are after some truly good results, work capacity is going to be one of the best tools to get there.

My training before was basically doing what I thought was cool. Then I became a trainer and during that time, I used the WODs to do my programming. Now as I've studied more, I do my own and tend to strength train 3 times a day for 6 days out of the week. This wouldn't be possible without paying attention to recovery so that's another big factor.

All in all, I keep in mind now that intensity AND volume are both excellent stimuluses and make sure to use both.

Parth Rajguru

Philip, some very nice work!

I am glad to see people adopting a higher frequency/volume approach to training. I agree with the importance of work capacity and am developing mine as well. The proof is in the pudding, and it is clearly working.

Philip Chubb

Thank you Raja! I totally agree! I used to think intensity was the only stimulus that I wanted to use but using both is giving me much better gains! I use that exact saying when people ask!

• 4 weeks later...
Justin Kyle

Hey Alex! I have a question for you in regards to accumulation and intensification cycles. Currently I have a max tuck planche of 24 seconds but can't hold advanced tuck planche for even one second. For an accumulation cycle should I include longer holds of advanced frog stand for FSP or band assisted tuck planches? Also, how long should those holds be if you have had good experiences with a certain range. I guess I will use tuck planche work for my intensification cycles for now until I can begin to hold advanced tuck planche. Thanks in advance for your reply! God bless

Justin

Philip Chubb
Hey Alex! I have a question for you in regards to accumulation and intensification cycles. Currently I have a max tuck planche of 24 seconds but can't hold advanced tuck planche for even one second. For an accumulation cycle should I include longer holds of advanced frog stand for FSP or band assisted tuck planches? Also, how long should those holds be if you have had good experiences with a certain range. I guess I will use tuck planche work for my intensification cycles for now until I can begin to hold advanced tuck planche. Thanks in advance for your reply! God bless

Justin

Something I would do here (I don't know how long you have been training or your tendon strength so be careful) is to work on about 15-18 seconds of tuck planche, then get another 12-15 immediately after using the band VERY lightly for assistance. This way, you keep up work on the tuck planche, but also start to accumulate its volume closer to a number where the advance tuck planche will be easier. I actually never used the advanced frog stand so I can't really comment on that. Do this for 2 to 3 weeks and you should have a new PR when you test your max tuck planche again.

Don't know how I missed this, but looks like things are going in the right direction.

It would be great if you could post either a video which is actually easier than taking a picture because you don't need to worry about timing, and we get a better idea of what you are doing.

Of course if I see a guy working ring PL I want to make sure he's also done the pre-req's Coach listed, to help prevent elbow issues.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1988#p12726

Wouldn't mind seeing your floor PL either.

Philip Chubb
Don't know how I missed this, but looks like things are going in the right direction.

It would be great if you could post either a video which is actually easier than taking a picture because you don't need to worry about timing, and we get a better idea of what you are doing.

Of course if I see a guy working ring PL I want to make sure he's also done the pre-req's Coach listed, to help prevent elbow issues.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewto ... 988#p12726

Wouldn't mind seeing your floor PL either.

I was actually taking the pictures for my fiancee's art project in one of her classes. It ended up being decent enough that I posted it here. Next time though, I will definitely take a video for everyone!

Oh yes I have all the prerequisites done. I actually want to get a full planche and pull pike press on rings though before I even think about playing with the Iron Cross.

I will also show my planche on the ground soon! It is nearly a full planche. Just a little longer.

Awesome Alex! From the looks of your XR Straddle Planche I figured you've done the required ground work, but it's worth asking.

Look forward to seeing more.

Philip Chubb
Awesome Alex! From the looks of your XR Straddle Planche I figured you've done the required ground work, but it's worth asking.

It was actually funny. I do it with my hands very far backwards on the ground. One day I just got on the rings and did it. I never actually trained for it though.

Thank you!

Justin Kyle

I have been training for about three years now and my bicep tendon strength is alright (RTO handstand, RTO L-sit, Full BL). So would the 15-18 second tuck planche followed by the band assisted tuck planche be something to include in an accumulation cycle or intensification cycle? I've been reading some of Ido's posts about that and am trying to get a grasp on what that looks like for FSPs. Thank you for your response, Alex!

Philip Chubb
I have been training for about three years now and my bicep tendon strength is alright (RTO handstand, RTO L-sit, Full BL). So would the 15-18 second tuck planche followed by the band assisted tuck planche be something to include in an accumulation cycle or intensification cycle? I've been reading some of Ido's posts about that and am trying to get a grasp on what that looks like for FSPs. Thank you for your response, Alex!

That is something I would use to increase the volume during an accumlation phase. And then I use the variation I can do then work to extend the time so I can do the variation easier. When I move to the next one, I should have a new time.

Joshua Naterman

It was actually funny. I do it with my hands very far backwards on the ground. One day I just got on the rings and did it. I never actually trained for it though.

Thank you!

Dillon and I have talked about this privately a bit, and we thought that would go very similarly. I never felt any different on rings vs floor with planche, but it is very interesting to hear that your straddle planche from the floor transferred directly to the rings. Assuming a solid XR support, that is what I would expect to happen but very cool to hear from someone who has done it.

Philip Chubb

Thank you!

Dillon and I have talked about this privately a bit, and we thought that would go very similarly. I never felt any different on rings vs floor with planche, but it is very interesting to hear that your straddle planche from the floor transferred directly to the rings. Assuming a solid XR support, that is what I would expect to happen but very cool to hear from someone who has done it.

I think it may be because I used a hands backwards position with my planches which is actually advise I took from you years ago. The only different part was getting my support steady just like you said and some minor technique. (Pulling the rings inward to me. For some reason, I subconciously like to attempt malteses)