Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LOVE HANDLES!?!?

tigero88

Hi Coach,

Looking forward to getting your book ~ Oct. 20... :)

LOVE HANDLES

* Coach ~ What are your recommendations for getting rid of Love Handles?

Since there are plenty of exercises for other body parts...Are there any you can do at home for Love Handles?

Let me know,

Thanks,

CD

Love Handles? Simply cut down body fat percentage and males tend to lose it around the middle last.

Flags and up and down flag levers work the obliques, way easier would be side leg lifts standing and laying down. Side leans with DB.

Just because there is fat on a part of the body doesn't mean you need to make that part stronger to lose the fat. Just adjust your diet and possibly your activity level.

sorry, there is no quick fix for that

Hi Coach,

Looking forward to getting your book ~ Oct. 20... :)

LOVE HANDLES

* Coach ~ What are your recommendations for getting rid of Love Handles?

Since there are plenty of exercises for other body parts...Are there any you can do at home for Love Handles?

Let me know,

Thanks,

CD

Actually, I had this problem for a few years -- even while training as a competitive distance runner. I would do abdominal exercises and see no change. What finally worked for me was modifying my diet, specifically in cutting out bread/potatoes/starches, and starting to eat way more vegetables/fruit as a significant part of my diet.

• 3 weeks later...
Gittit Shwartz

Love handles = too many carbs in your diet (according to Charles Poliquin's Biosignature principles).

Hi Gittit,

Could you please elaborate on that idea/principle?

Does Poliquin mean carbs = insulin (which is a storage hormone) and therefore general fat gain, which one result is love handles. Or does he mean carbs = specific fat gain (love handles)?

Cheers,

Ed

Gittit Shwartz

Ed,

Ido is the real expert on this, but I'll try and give you a "sneak preview"...

In several decades working with thousands of trainees, comparing their blood work with body fat distribution, Poliquin found a correlation between certain hormonal imbalances/genetic traits, and the tendency to store fat in specific areas.

For example:

- Triceps <---> low testosterone

- Hamstrings <---> high estrogen

- Abdominal fat <---> elevated cortisol

- Subscapular skinfold <---> genetic ability to handle carbs.

- Love handle area <---> the amount of carbs currently in your diet (circulating insulin).

So basically, by manipulating and balancing these hormones, spot reduction is possible.

This is solid stuff. Google "Biosignature Modulation" and you'll find plenty of articles. Or give a shout out to Ido.

Best,

Gittit

Guest Ido Portal

Actualy, subscap is not only inherited genetic ability to handle insulin, but more of an insulin management site. Certain strategies can work for dealing with fat in this area. (supplements, timing of nutrients, different choice of parents...)

And supra-iliac (love handles) is not the amount of carbs in your diet, but the amount of excess carbs in your diet, dictated by your insulin management ability. This is also referred to 'cheating site' as when you exemine a patient and he swears he has his diet in order and avoiding excess carbs but his supra-iliac sites are still high, you know someone is lying. (hint... supra-iliac site never lies)

Ido.

Ido you're quite funny today. So when atempting to discern what one's carb tolerance level is, it's a good idea to use the love handle and/or oblique region?

Some very interesting stuff. I've got a long weekend coming up so I'll have a browse through the articles then. Robb (Wolf) is writing up a review on the Biosignature seminar, should be good.

Epimetheus,

Ido wrote in another thread that if your not ripped (under 6% BF) your not carb tolerant. Charles Poliquin has also recommended the following test:

"Have a carb dominant breakfast, then if you feel energetic afterwards you are carb tolerant, if you feel sleepy then you aren't carb tolerant."

But it isn't a case of you either are or aren't, there is a sliding scale. Find what works for you, ask yourself, do you feel sleepy after meals? are you performing optimally (this is a two way, too little carbs and you won't perform your best and too many carbs you won't perform your best)?

Ed

Kamali Downey

Ido,

are you a Poliquin biosig practicioner?

I usually get one done about once every 2 months..... IMO, the only way to go, to get your bodyfat measured.

• 4 weeks later...
Kamali Downey

BUMP

Ido, are you or is anyone else here a poliquin biosig pratcioner?

If you are indeed a poliquin certified coach or a biosig practicioner it would be great to hear you talk about nutrtional and supplemental approaches to leaning out each individual bodyfat site.

I think so because Robb Wolf recently went to a biosignature seminar and emailed or called Ido to discuss the seminar.

Guest Ido Portal

Yes i am a biosig practitioner.

I will not go into supplement protocols and strategies described in the biosig course

from obvious reasons. If you are intersted in this material, go do the course.

For a general description you can visit Robb Wolf's blog and read his last couple of posts.

Ido.

• 7 months later...
Guest Cornfed_Iowan

I am pretty positive spot losing (love handles) is impossible. As one of the first repsonders stated, it is about cutting body fat. :wink: ...And unfortunately the midsection seems to be the msot difficult or last areas to go.

Kamali Downey
I am pretty positive spot losing (love handles) is impossible. As one of the first repsonders stated, it is about cutting body fat. :wink: ...And unfortunately the midsection seems to be the msot difficult or last areas to go.

Google "biosignature modulation." It's all hormone related.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.