Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pain around hip abductor from doing cartwheels and roundoffs

Othsanak

Howdy,

I'm 21 and new to gymnastics training. I have been doing neat cartwheels since I was a kid but only started seriously working out around 6-7 months ago. Anyways long story short I concluded gymnasts are the strongest in the world and I want to train that way and joined a gym. So around 4-5 weeks ago my coach asked me to do some cartwheels and roundoffs and after about doing 10 of them I started to feel pain in this area (yellow circle) on both sides of my hips.

abduc.jpg

I feel nothing when I am sitting or walking or running but when I attempt to go down in a middle split I feel the pain. I also feel pain when I rotate my legs outwards while I am in a 90-degree middle split. This pain has been ongoing for a few weeks and a therapist I saw said that its the tendons that are inflammed and they need rest and thats all. So is it wise to completely avoid any kind of tumbling for as long as it takes for the pain to disappear?

Thank you.

No tumbling on hard surface. Keep on tumbling on tumble-trak or just working trampoline.

You can probably get away with cartwheel on floor.

Have you tried to roll out your ITB. Ya know foam roller/stick work?

Coach Sommer
This pain has been ongoing for a few weeks and a therapist I saw said that its the tendons that are inflammed and they need rest and thats all. So is it wise to completely avoid any kind of tumbling for as long as it takes for the pain to disappear?

Your therapist has given you excellent advice.

You simply increased your volume and intensity too rapidly and your hips couldn't handle it. Allow the hips to rest for another week or two and then begin again, but with only 1 or 2 reps rather than 10 and then gradually build from there.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer