Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Q for Coach Sommer: Body weight gain & planche progress?

Martin

Just posted a Q about the planche...On a different but related topic,

I read that Coach Sommer tries to minimize weight gain in his trainees for the sake of strength in gymnastic movements.

However, I noticed that when I lost muscle (seemingly temporarily) for a week or 2, my progress in the planche also suffered.

Since then, having gained in the bench press and also gained back 3-4 pounds of muscle, my planche is improving again.

Is there a cut-off point where muscle starts to impair the planche? Is it a personal matter, i.e. certain individuals frames do better with more, others with less body mass? Is there a way to determine it or can I only try it out and see what happens?

And regarding the sticky of time under load (TUL) in the static holds, how to cycle strength-volume TUL? How many days of the week should i focus on easier holds for more seconds, and how often should I do the most difficult holds for fewer seconds?

Martin

Guest marktb68

Martin,

Here's my thoughts. I am 6'0 193 lbs and my planche has improved since gaining weight(muscle). Personally, I think there's a cut-off FOR GYMNASTICS but for the lay-person, I don't think there's a huge worry.

Mark Baldwin

Thanks Mark!

That's what I'm experiencing right now...obviously, I'm going to be lifting more weight, but with bigger muscles...I suppose it's what those muscles are built up with: heavy reps or "pump" reps...(i.e. sarcoplasmic vs myofibrillar).

When I was 20, I was into bodybuilding, and after gaining 45lbs on my frame I still was able to do Chins with 66lbs for 3 reps on a belt. I don't have that weight on my frame anymore, and am also 8 years older. Not that I want to gain that much anymore, but a few more pounds might look better on me.

I guess I will see if the planche will suffer from adding a few pounds. If it does, I will not pursue weight gain but weight maintenance and getting that planche!

Martin