This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cannister's Log

Started by Eric Heiden, March 8, 2012 · 101 Replies · 3,072 Views

Cannister

Once again, a fundamental change in the way I do my workouts: back to a killroy template! I feel like the WODs are spreading me too thin to see a good return (especially with the way that I'm executing them). SO:

WU:

plk

rplk

hollow

arch

deadhang

10 wrist pushups

wrist streches

FSP:

8 rounds of wall handstands (stopping before failure)

FBE:

5x5 LChin-ups (last set my legs were more like 120 degrees than 90...)

box HeSPU (3x5, 1x4, 1x5)

This was great! I've never been able to do so much HeSPU work! I'm going to feel that tomorrow!

Cannister

WU (remember PB support)

Frog stand 4x15 (this just doesn't feel like work except on my wrists)

BL 6x10s

FL 5x12s

HS (tested for max: 31 sec so starting sets of 4x15s) 1x31s, 2x15s

5x5 Bulgarian XR Pushups

5x5 XR rows (feet elevated)

Cannister

WU: plank, r-plank, hollow, arch, PB support, chin deadhang, regular deadhang

FSPs (during lunch break at work):

Frog Stand 4x15s

GH 6x10s

FL (~adv tuck) 5x12s

HS 4x15s

Did my FBEs after work - along with some more handstand practice:

10 minutes of handstands where I tried for max # of 10 second holds. I hit 12, which is a PR.

5x5 inverted chin-ups

1x5, 3x3 ring dips I am very weak here.

Cannister

11/27/2012:

Basic prereq WU - I got to do PB support upright without tucking my legs today for the first time and it makes the movement quite different than doing it on Parallettes.

FSPs:

GH: 6x10s

adv tuck FL: 5x12s

Frog Stand: 4x15s (increased focus on making my knees feel "light" on my arms - felt this much more in my shoulders & back.

HS: trying max reps of 30s holds until failure. Did ~1.8. Maybe I'll kick this down to max # of 20s holds until failure for next time.

messed around with PL leans after reading the Dillon Planche post. Good stuff.

FBEs:

5x5 SLS negatives

2x5 NLC (could only lean forward like 20-25 degrees and then I broke the bench I do them on - which is in the video below, so I downgraded to sliding leg curls)

3x5 sliding leg curls

Cannister

(done before lunchtime)

Prereq WU

FSPs:

4x15s Frog Stand

6x10s GH (feet on floor, trying to bring my knees closer to the floor as J.N. suggests in his

)

5x12s ATFL (Advanced Tuck Front Lever)

3x20s wall HS

FBEs (done before dinner time):

5x5 LChin-ups (Felt stronger than last week, feet didn't touch the floor at the bottom of the rep until the last two reps of the last set)

5x5box HeSPU (much more solid than last week. I actually did the whole 5x5 and my form was much better the whole time. Last rep of the last set took major major effort.)

Cannister

Prereq WU

Frog stand 4x15 - playing with wrist positioning, trying to lean forward and straighten elbows as much as possible - mostly I feel limited by my wrists, thus I've decided to start doing the entire wrist series daily.

GH 6x10s - foot supported, but hips way down, trying to get my knees on the ground in line with my hips.

ATFL (although knees ankles are still touching my thighs) 5x12s

HS 3x20s

5x5 Bulgarian XR Pushups

5x5 regular Dips (2 sets of 4) - ...I didn't look at my workout and paired pushups with dips instead of rows. Oh well - I'll plan on switching out dips for rows in the next workout.

Cannister

Today is a rest day for me, but I'm determined to improve & stengthen my wrist strenght & flexibility:

Prereq WU to warm up

performed the entire wrist series

2x10 shoulder dislocates

Cannister

Prereq WU
Wrist Series

Afternoon FSPs:
Frog stand 4x15 - really focussing on wrists pressing forward, hand positioning, lifting the hips to make my elbows light on my arms. This is a much more active position for me now than it had been in the past.
GH 6x10s
ATFL 5x12s - lots of back activation here.
HS 3x20s - getting easier.

Evening FBEs: (should have been dips but since I accidentally swapped Rows for Dips in my last workout I'm swapping them again here to make up for it. I'll get it right next week ;))
5x5 inverted chinups
5x5 foot elevated rows (pausing at the top makes this so so much harder.

I need to research the rows a bit - should the elbows drive in towards your sides or out to form at 90 degree angle with your sides? - ah - problem solved - elbows driving out = bulgarian XR rows.  elbow in = regular XR rows.

Cannister

Prereq WU

Wrist Series

 

FSPs:

Frog stand 4x15

GH 6x10s

ATFL 5x12s

HS 3x20s

5 x Max time face down (~15s), lifting arms up off the ground without arching the back (what should I call these?  Face Down Shoulder Extension and Elevations?  FDSEEs?  That is ridiculous.  Someone come up with a better name for it than that, please.)

 

Evening FBEs:

4x5 gradutated SLS

4x5 NLC (piked, assisted)

 

Manage 5 reps of actual full SLS before I felt a super hard (and painful) cramp in my right Vastus Medialis oblique (teardrop muscle that keeps the patella in line) at the bottom of the eccentric, so I limited my range of motion to ~12 inches off of the floor for the remaining sets. Leg day is hard for me.

Cannister

Today is a rest day for me, but I still did the wrist series - I had know idea until recently how good the first knuckle and fingertip pushups feel. I'm hoping this will increase my wrist flexibility so that I can work planches wrists forward.

 

I'm torn between continuing with Frog Stand or switching to PL leans - I feel like both will help stretch my wrists, but I feel like PL leans will help develop my protraction better.

Cannister

Prereq WU

3 x 15s, face down extended shoulder lifts

Wrist Series

 

FSPs:

Frog stand 4x15

GH 6x10s

ATFL 5x12s

HS 3x20s

 

5x5 L-chinups (feeling stronger here)

2x5, 1x4, 2x5 Box HeSPU

Cannister

Prereq WU

3 x 15s, extended shoulder raises

Wrist Series

 

FSPs:

Frog stand 4x15

GH 6x10s

ATFL 5x12s

HS 3x20s

 

FBEs:

5x5 XR Bulgarian pushups

5x5 XR Rows, feet elevated, slow tempo

Cannister

Today is an active recovery day - doing my wrist series, some wall extensions and then I'll be going to the climbing gym to work my fingers a bit.  Pretty soon I'll be building a climbing wall in my garage, which I'm pretty excited about!

Cannister

My normal workout schedule has me doing a curl/dip day today - but yesterday morning I managed to lightly strain/pull a muscle in my lower/mid back - something that locks up pretty hard when depressing and retracting my right scapula.  I also feel it when I try and sit up very straight.  It is less of a problem today, but I think I'll push my workout back another day just to be safe.

 

Today I'll only being doing my wrist series and maybe some jump roping if it agrees with my shoulder.

Cannister

Prereq WU

wrist series

 

FSPs:

Frog stand 4x15s (arms are getting slightly straighter as my wrists are feeling more flexible).

GH 6x10s

ATFL 5x12s

FX Tuck L-sit 4x6s

HS 3x20s

 

Tonight:

3 x 15s, extended shoulder raises

FBEs:

5x5 Reverse Tuck Yewkis

5x5 Dips (chairs)

 

The FBEs:

 

I'm still noticing a lack of depression in my left scapula during dips.  Argh!

Cannister

Changed things up a little bit today since my right shoulder is sore from yesterday's dips (I did a bunch of research on dip form and was definitely doing some things wrong, plus probably exceeding the ROM that I should have.  So I've added some shoulder mobility to my warmup.

 

Prereq WU

10 x each (wrist, 1st knuckle, dorsal, "straight hand", and fingertip pushups)

 

: 10 x each (overhead pulldowns, whippets) - the band I was using was tubular so when I tried scapular pushups it rolled to my neck every time.  Next time I'll plan on having non-rolling bands figured out, plus including dislocates.

5x each side teacup exercise #1 - much harder to perform on my right side.

 

FSPs:

Frogstand: 4x15s (my first hold was with completely straight elbows - but my wrists were off of the floor a little bit)

German Hang: 6x10s (this felt hard today)

Straight Tuck FL: 5x12s

HS: 1x20s (didn't do hold 2 and 3 as I felt this push on my tender shoulder when I was walking up the wall).

 

Tonight is Legs at home.

Cannister
ewethestuff said:
Curious, what did you find in terms of dip form?

Well I was pretty much just leaning way too far forward and craning my neck forward as well during them.  That in addition to some shoulder issues I'm trying to work out = sore, impinged feeling right shoulder...

Cannister

This suuuuuucks - I get 3 weeks into an SSC (/killroy template) and my right scapula is sore again.  I've made an appointment with a PT for this Friday.  Hopefully I can figure out what's going on and address the issue so I can continue the program without doing more damage.  I don't feel any pain or strain in FL/BL/PL work - my HS feels odd when I'm walking up the wall and I really think the main culprit is my dip/pushups - the pain arose after a dip day where I think my form was poor.  My pushing strength is pretty lacking after spending so much time climbing rocks and pulling in general.

 

When I get my diagnosis I'm going to try and make a post about it just for general information for the community. 

Cannister

I've taken some time off because I had shoulder impingement issues.  The shoulder feels better now, but I definitely need to be doing the shoulder stabilization routine.  The last few days I've been greasing the groove on wall handstands.  I really want to get my handstand solid - my strength there is pretty bad.  I've also been working on Muscle ups the last week or so - I'm doing them from full arm extension now (starting sitting on the floor) in sets of up to 3.  Progress.  I'm going to be easing back into a routine here - but something that I can manage in around an hour a day instead of the 1 hour, 45 minute workouts I was doing before.

Cannister

Did my first forward rolls yesterday while messing around with ring strength 1.  Here's some video:

 

Cannister

2/1/2013

 

I got Foundation 1 last night and tested myself for mastery on many of the level 1 exercises today:

 

FL/PE1 - Mastery achieved!  (although this was harder than I had anticipated).  No problem with the mobility.

 

sPL/PE1 - not achieved.  While I performed the required reps & sets - not only was it grueling by the end but I don' t think I had full protraction at the top of the reps by the end.  Also I definitely don't have the ROM for sPL/PE1>iM as shown in the video.  That is alright though - I'm excited to have a good baseline exercise to build up the kind of strength as it's alluded me for some time.

 

SL/PE1 - not achieved.  I did 1x60, 1x45, and stopped there.  Looking at the 60s training template i think I'll start this one up at week 5.

 

MN/PE1 - Mastery achieved!  Not too bad, actually - although I did feel a good stretch in my inner thigh/groin area when doing the MN/PE1>iM.

 

SLS/PE1 - I did the PE1 just fine (although it was difficiult work), but I'm not 100% sure about my SLS/PE1>iM form.  It was difficult to lean my butt to one side (harder than the other).  I'll have to take video and ask advice.   So reps achieved but Mastery?  Unsure so I'll assume not.

 

HBP/PE1 - Mastery achieved!  However my right elbow was harder to get behind my head in HBP/PE1>iM than my left.  In general my right shoulder is more closed than my left - I think because my right lat is so much more developed.  Not sure why.

 

RC/PE1 - Mastery achieved!  Again - I scoffed at this exercise initially, but by the last rep of the last set I was surprised that I felt a pretty good burn in my arms.  I really loved the RC/PE1>iM.  Felt so good (bad in the right way).

Cannister
2/4/2013:

 

FL: tried for FL/PE2 mastery - did 60r on the first set, 39 on the second, so I just finished up with 3 more sets of 24r

 

sPL/PE1 4x6r - pretty easy.  hips/glutes are pretty tight on the mobility

 

HBP/PE2 5x9r - perfect amount of work.  mobility for this one gives my shoulders a nice burn.

 

RC/PE2 tried for mastery - failed after set 2: did 15, 15, 10, 9, 9.  The lat stretch is nice.  I'll start on week 9 here.
Cannister
Tuesday, 2/5/2013:

 

MN:

Manna Straddle-up (PE2 - mastery testing) hit 5x15r, but my straddle was low, and my chest was fairly leaned back for all reps - I suppose I'll start a cycle at 9 weeks and continue retest after that.

Jefferson Curl - 5x5r

 

SL:

Arch Hold - 4x24s (day 1 of week 5) - this felt just right as far as intensity

Standing Hip Circles - 5x10r

 

SLS:  Tried the cossack squat since I had achieved mastery on PE1, but felt pain in my right knee after just two reps on that side.  I've decided to revert back to SLS starting at week 9 and re-test the cossack squat after completing a 4 week cycle.

Deck Squats: 4x12r

Skiers - 4x10r (10 reps each side)
Cannister

Thursday, 4/7/13:

 

 

FL/PE2: bHBR - 4x24 reps
FL/PE2>iM: Bridge - 4x30s (easy)
 
sPL/PE1: scap shrugs - 4x6r (easy)
sPL/PE1>iM: swivel hips - glutes are pretty tight
 
HBP/PE2: pushups - 5x9r - messed up the # of reps and sets on this one - will fix for next time.
HBP/PE2>iM: xia. fwd - 10 lb weight 5x5r each arm - nice burn - slight clicking on the way down on my left side.
 
RC/PE2: incline row - 4x12r
RC/PE2>iM: bent Lat side stretch - 4x30s each side
 
then did ~1 min of jump rope & 10 burpee pullups for fun.
Cannister

Friday, 2/8/13:

 

 

MN:
(week 9 day2) 4x12r
Jefferson Curl - 5x5r
 
SL:
Arch Hold - 4x24s (day 2 of week 5)
Standing Hip Circles - 5x10r
 
SLS:  
Deck Squats: 4x12r
Skiers - 4x10r (10 reps each side)